Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 01:57 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times

Advertisements

We're just starting to see the first real signs of fall foliage in my neck of the woods. Definite bits of bright red and yellow are everywhere, and even some orange is starting to appear.

For those of you who moved here within the last year, I thought I'd post this link. It has a lot of photos from last October to let you know what it will look like here in a few more weeks.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ge-last-2.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 01:58 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Also, if anyone else has any fall foliage photos to share, by all means post 'em!

Old 09-12-2010, 02:06 PM

184 posts, read 311,512 times
We will see an early fall here for sure. The dry conditions really have been stressing the younger trees and shrubs enhancing the early color. I cant wait for the swamp maples fully turn, for a weed type of tree, they look great all in red

Old 09-12-2010, 02:07 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Seems this is probably the result of the dry weather. I'm seeing a lot of shriveled brownness.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:55 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
I was wondering what as up with one tree on the side of our yard, it is already losing it leaves and I was wondering if it was dying, but I noticed today at the Home Depot parking lot, the same kind of trees were losing their leaves also.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:57 PM

70 posts, read 106,392 times
Hi Normie,
can you recommend a nice route I can drive with my wife and daughter. We been in the house un-packing and need a change in scenery

Old 09-12-2010, 05:04 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2dc View Post
Hi Normie,
can you recommend a nice route I can drive with my wife and daughter. We been in the house un-packing and need a change in scenery
When you do, just be sure to stay in the right lane, except to pass.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:40 PM

696 posts, read 1,694,944 times
Ahhh. I saw the first signs of fall this afternoon....neighbors up the street bagging leaves. I would agree that they seem to be falling early this year and are rather shriveled and brown at my house.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:57 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2dc View Post
Hi Normie,
I'm not Normie, but one of my favorite routes during Fall has always been Georgetown Pike through Great Falls and McLean. From here you can head through Arlington County to the Chain Bridge, head into the District, and enjoy the foliage in the heavily-treed Upper NW parts of the city. I'm sure Rock Creek Parkway must be very nice as well in Fall. Another nice ride is Route 7 between Leesburg and Winchester, especially the Clarke's Gap area between Bluemont and Berryville. A walk around Burke Lake might be nice as well.

The foliage isn't happening yet here in Reston, just a few miles away from Normie. We had quite a bit of much-needed rain last night (and a power outage, apparently). I'm guessing by the end of the month we'll see our first hints. I'd imagine it would also be nice to hike the Difficult Run Trail in Great Falls out to the Potomac, as well as possibly leaf-peeping from the river itself on a kayak or canoe.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:01 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I was wondering what as up with one tree on the side of our yard, it is already losing it leaves and I was wondering if it was dying, but I noticed today at the Home Depot parking lot, the same kind of trees were losing their leaves also.
Is it a tulip poplar? I have them in my back yard, and they always start dropping leaves in late August. It's really too early for leaves to turn here, regardless of the drought. IMO, any color seen now is normal for the subject tree. We are still a good month or more away from significant fall colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia