Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 AM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammann View Post
Belfort is good to look at, but you can find that same furniture much cheaper elsewhere.
Gamman - Where are these cheaper places? I think that is the gist of the OPs question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 08:41 AM

979 posts, read 1,774,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammann View Post
Belfort is good to look at, but you can find that same furniture much cheaper elsewhere.
We searched every furniture store we could find when we were couch shopping (including more expensive places down to Value City Furniture and Room Store type places and including extensive searching online), and Belfort was the only place we could find exactly what we wanted. We could not find it cheaper elsewhere - I even Googled the specific couch information (manufacturer, model, etc.) to try to find it cheaper online (because, well, I'm cheap!), and I couldn't find it anywhere else. I think it really depends on what you're looking for and how much flexibility you have regarding specific colors, materials, quality, size, etc. (we needed a very specific size sectional for the way we had our living room set up, and quality/durability was important with our two dogs and growing family).

Also, their large clearance center (across the street from their regular store) is very reasonably priced. That's where we will go first when we're ready for a new dining set next year

Oh, and on a slightly unrelated note about the actual shopping experience, I was able to shop in Belfort multiple times when we were still shopping around without ever feeling pressured to buy anything. I can't say the same for Value City Furniture where we were constantly being stalked throughout the store!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:47 PM

199 posts, read 672,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Gamman - Where are these cheaper places? I think that is the gist of the OPs question?
Yeah but they also requested Chantilly/Herndon area. The area doesn't exactly scream cheap furniture.

When we were looking for a sectional couch, we were able to get the exact same couch that Belfort had for much cheaper from Simms Furniture In VA, Timeless Furniture With Lasting Value in Fredricksburg.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:04 PM

581 posts, read 2,306,634 times
Just thought I would update..
My opinion for far:

Value City - Low grade furniture
RoomStore - Also low grade furniture
Cort - Did not try because I'm not interested in used/prior leased furniture
Ashley Furniture - better quality but not more traditional looking furniture. Not bad at all though.
JC Penny - better quality but again more traditional looking furniture. (decent pricing)
Belforte - Prices seemed very high for furniture made in China. I'll go back and give them a second look.

I need to look at Ethan Allen next.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:29 PM

I went to Macys, Belfort, and Havertys today. Wow, Havery's hands down was the best of the lot.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 AM

198 posts, read 358,110 times
Green Front Furniture, Luxury Furniture at a Lower Price

Two people in my office recently bought furniture from Green Front. There's a location in Manassas.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM

I went to Ethan Allen. Who the hell can afford that place? I mean @#%@#!#!!!!

I went back to Ashley's and decided their quality wasn't very good after seeing Havertys and Macy's.
Belforte, high prices for what you get. I saw the best quality and with decent value at Macy's and
Haverty's. I will work with these 2 stores as I replace my furniture..

I recommend people head up to Dulles Town Center Mall to check out Haverty's and Macy's.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 AM

143 posts, read 385,325 times
If you want to take a trip into DC, look at Room & Board. At the very least, all of their stuff is real wood (made in USA) and some of the prices are pretty competitive.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 PM

Oh no... DC?? Traffic/Stress/No Parking/More Stress
I will stick to the suburbs.. I like pulling into a nice/easy parking lot in Dulles Town Center..
Some of us were built for the suburbs I guess..

Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
If you are looking for real hardwood furniture made in the US (in fact, right here in VA), Hardwood Artisans is a good local maker. It is not considered "cheap," however. Also its styling runs neo-traditional or contemporary. I really like the New Craftsman style furniture it sells. But it is "understated" and may not be for everyone. But it's pretty indestructible.

I also second Green Front and as well recommend The Keeping Room in Alexandria/Mt. Vernon, which probably has the lowest prices on Hancock & Moore sofas (some of which were sold to the White House) and also offers pretty good quality reproduction antique furniture (I like its tiger maple offerings) at competitive, but by no means "cheap," prices.

In Loudoun County, both Olde Mill Furniture in Ashburn and The Guest Room in Leesburg will sell/order for you American-made hardwood furniture (often from Amish producers). They occasionally have closeouts or special deals that can be price competitive with imported furniture of lower quality.

All these shops offer merchanise that I would take any day over that sold by places like Belfort, Ethan Allen and a host of other "brand names" that do nothing but import a mass of third world-produced furniture of questionable durability and quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia