Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 01:48 PM

41 posts, read 106,405 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what that commute might be like? Work would start at 7am and end at 4pm.

Much difference in Haymarket commute?

We don't live in Virginia now and there's a possible job relocation for hubby so we are doing our research!

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM

11 posts, read 23,642 times
I live in Warrenton and work in Haymarket. I'm not sure about a commute to Reston, but my drive to Haymarket is easy. I would think that yours before 7:00 am would possibly be easier easier. Warrenton covers a lot of territory. When I first moved here three years ago, I was 14 miles door to door and I had to be sure to leave about a half an hour to get to work. (I have to be there at 9 most days.) I have recently moved (still have a Warrenton address, but now more to the east) and have about an 8 mile commute door to door. I now leave at least 20 minutes ahead of time. If you'd have to go down 15 to get to work, it can sometimes take awhile. Traffic gets congested and there are several stop lights before I make it to where I have to go....Again, it depends on what time you go, though. I've been to Reston on a weekend night for dinner and it took about a 1/2 hour. I'm not sure how mornings are. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,024 times
Warrenton to Reston would be considered a very bad commute on the best of days. Miles mean nothing around here. Typically take the miles and its 2-3 times in terms of minutes.

If I understand the post, would the commute be much better from Haymarket to Reston? not by much. If there is a job possibility in Haymarket and you're considering living in Warrenton? If so, that wouldn't be bad.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:46 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
Starting at 7 would not be too bad. Any later and it would really suck. That's Warrenton to Reston. The traffic is building and can be pretty steady but unless there is an accident you should be ok. From Haymarket you save maybe 15-20 minutes.

Forgot to add. Leaving at 4 will be a little tough. It will be heavier going home at that time but not as bad as say 5PM.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:47 AM

Thank you both so much for your replies! I really appreciate it!

We are moving from San Antonio Tx. We love it here so much!! I'm just trying to find the best area to raise my kids out in VA. Warrenton, from online seems like a nice area. :-)

Old 04-15-2012, 12:43 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,024 times
Depending on exactly where in Warrenton and Reston, you could be looking at 2 hr commute each way.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:15 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
Yea the problem isnt getting to Warrenton, its avoiding Gainesville and heading north. You can head up 29 and then get on 66 to 28 north (this is likely your best choice sadly... and all of those 3 roads are nightmares).

You could theoretically go north on 17 to The Plains, and then head down 234 to Gilberts Corner, then head up to Leesburg... then back down the Greenway to Reston. It would still take you about 90 minutes and would cost you 10 bucks a day in tolls.

I think Warrenton is literally the worst place in Nova to live if you want to commute anywhere towards the city and it has everything to do with Route 29 through Gainsville and the overall distance from everything. If you want something very similar to Warrenton I would suggest Bristow (though this is no dream commute either but atleast its 20 minutes shorter) but the best bet would be central loudoun if you really want the rural country side feel. Theres lots of nice regions along Route 15 near oatlands (and of course theres the more suburban areas of Ashburn, Centreville, Herndon).

Any particular reason you wanted warrenton maybe we can find you something comparable but thats closer to Reston

Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pporter16 View Post
Thank you both so much for your replies! I really appreciate it!

We are moving from San Antonio Tx. We love it here so much!! I'm just trying to find the best area to raise my kids out in VA. Warrenton, from online seems like a nice area. :-)
If you're working in Reston, don't limit yourself to Warrenton just because you found something online that talked it up. Unless there's specific acreage issues that you must have, I strongly suggest looking at any of the hundreds of thousands of homes that are closer to your work location.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:15 PM

We just really want a nice area to raise our two young kids (3 and 6). School is very important to us. I hate the fact that we could be living on a ten then the zoning changes and were at a 2 rated school.

Affordability was another. I saw a few condos walking distance to old town. It just seems quaint.

We are leaving a place with the top school system in the city with so much family friendly things to do.

I'm feeling overwhelmed every time I go on realtor.com and greatschools.net when looking for a place closer to Reston.

Im sure I'm rambling now. Lol

My husband would be able to start at 7am.

I appreciate all your inputs! It's been very insightful!!

Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
For schools I believe general consensus has Fairfax and Loudoun schools over Fauquier schools and PWC schools (sorry to those who are about to bombard me but I am not making a biased statement these are things that people in this area generally say).

I have no idea what metrics are used etc, but I am a product of public school in Fairfax and I know that specifically FFX county schools are some of the best in the country. So I think you shouldnt worry about the school systems.

I would suggest Loudoun county for you, its affordable, near Reston, has space you might want, but isnt in the heart of a city.

If you want more of a downtown feel I would suggest Reston itself which also has great schools and nice parks to walk around and plenty of restaurants theaters etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia