Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 26,487 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find a unique/cool restaurant/bar to take someone for their birthday. I'm from San Diego and there's all kinds of places that have cool themes, like a giant grill where you cook your own steak, mini golf with a restaurant, the booths are the back seats of old cars, etc.

I've been to H St Country Club in DC and that place is pretty awesome. What are other places in NOVA and DC that fall along these lines? They definately don't have to be fancy, just really awesome to experience.

Most of these places that I've found are hard to find if you try to do a general internat search so I definately need A LOT of help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 04:05 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,518 times
If you like Asian Fusion Mie N Yu in Georgtown is sort of funky. Some of the tables have their own little harem tents. I like sitting there, I don't like sitting in the booths along the wall, that sort of takes away the experience. You can see if you can book a tent.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:21 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I wish we had more places like that - Been to several Dick's locations, including San Diego. There was a place in TX called (I think..) U Are Cooks, where you cooked your own steak, very cool (except somebody stole mine, guess they thought it looked better?). Haven't come across any "cool/different" places here, sorry.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:35 PM

855 posts, read 1,172,991 times
One thing to say about NoVA/DC (DC especially) is that there are quite a few places with cool ambiance and decor.

Whenever I have people from out of town, one of my go-to places for dinner is Oya on 9th street in downtown DC. It's Asian fusion but the decor is awesome! Their prix fixe menu is pretty sweet too.

I love Marrakesh on NY Avenue for a fun group night. It's very old school Moroccan with low tables and cushion seating. They serve about 6 different courses (served traditionally in family style--no silverware unless requested). During dinner there's a belly dancing show that's a lot of fun to watch. It's great for a group! I'd also put Mie-N-Yu in there too as a more modern, price conscious option to Marrakesh but less intensive since it's not a whole 6-course menu.

Blues Alley is also neat--it's a supper club, so it has that old school vibe. It's down a non-descript looking alley in Georgetown, but it's always a fun time and the food's pretty good too. Along the same lines, there's a new place called the Hamilton that just opened in DC on 14th St NW. It's a supper club too, but it's newer with an American fusion menu as opposed to Blues Alley's Southern/comfort food menu.

Don't know if any of those places are what you're looking for...good luck!!! Have fun!

Old 01-22-2012, 06:26 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,317,299 times
For bars PX in alexandria are legendary and if you are in going to Alexandria there is also Casablanca which is pretty good and a new place called virtue if you want a nice farm to table meal. At the PX (a speak easy style bar which only seats a couple dozen people at a time) you knock to get in, the whole bar seems like something from the 1920s, and the drinks are absolutely amazing. You pay 8-10 bucks per drink but unlike in DC you get something you could never find anywhere else like a basil gazpacho blood mary just to name one.

Alexandria has all sorts of unique places, my favorite french restaurant is there (Bastille), which is gloriously good and cheaper than 90% of the franchise restaurants. Entrees are between 17-25, and lots of sub 40 bottle wines.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
How about Perry's Drag Brunch?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,495 times
All of the places mentioned, plus any of the 4 Busboys & Poets locations.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Mokomandy has cajun/Korean fusion. You can get kimchee, alligator and beignots.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 AM

84 posts, read 215,454 times
If Baltimore is not very far for you, then try Dick's Last Resort. We went to National Aquarium this fall and this bar was right next to it.
The food is not great and the ambiance leaves room for improvement, but I thought it was a unique experience
Dick's Last Resort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
If you want something with a historic feel, I'd recommend one of my favorites, Clydes Willow Creek Farm in Ashburn, VA. It is designed with a collection of 5-6 historic structures (local and NE). There's lots of space so it's really good if you have a large party:
http://www.clydes.com/main/RestaurantsPhoto.cfm?Restaurant=Willow_Creek_Farm (broken link)

And if you're in town in DC, Clydes Old Ebbitt Grill is the oldest tavern in DC. The carved bars are something special:
www.clydes.com/main/RestaurantsPhoto.cfm?Restaurant=Old_Ebbitt_Grill (http://www.clydes.com/main/RestaurantsPhoto.cfm?Restaurant=Old_Ebbitt_Grill - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia