Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:50 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,510,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I agree with saganista's post as per usual but just have one minor quibble. Centreville's population as of 2000 was actually 9% black.
You're right, DNB...also as per usual. In pulling together the pertinent stats to underlie that post, I swept the demographics data from wikipedia, and the Centreville racial data there, purporting to be from the 2005 Census ACS, show 2.88% African-American. On taking the extra step of checking back to the source data, there are no 2005 ACS data for Centreville, either as a CDP or as the 20120 zip code. The 2000 data are the latest data published, and the pertinent numbers there are 4,322 out of 48,661 which works out to 8.88%, not 2.88%. Somebody goofed out there. Got by me, but DNB was too sharp for 'em. Good catch...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 10:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,902 times
Default Where to live in Northern VA

We are relocating to NoVa and would like to know, is the Ashburn area in Loundon county and Gainsville/Haymarket in Prince Williams county considered Northern VA? Were do the AA population live in these communities? The schools seem to have around 10% population of AA, but when we visted the areas a few times we saw very few and sometime no AA.
Are these areas considered a good place for AA to socialize (chruches,babers, beauty supplies,neighbor,ect.)? How are these area set up in referance to statis? Loundon homes are much higher than PW homes is their a reason for this?

Old 12-13-2007, 11:10 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,405,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaymorning View Post
We are relocating to NoVa and would like to know is the Ashburn area in Loundon county and Gainsville/Haymarket in Prince Williams county considered Northern VA? Were do the AA population live in these communities? The schools seem to have around 10% population of AA, but when we visted the areas a few times we saw very few and sometime no AA.
Are these areas considered a good place for AA to socialize (chruches,babers, beauty supplies,neighbor,ect.)?
Those areas are considered part of Northern Virginia. Without argument, Northern Virginia consists of the counties of Fairfax, Arlington, Loudoun, Prince William, the city of Alexandria, and all of the independent cities within. Counties such as Spotsylvania, Stafford, Fauquier, Clarke and several others are debatable, because while they are geographically located in northern Virginia, when most people refer to northern Virginia, they're referring to the suburban DC area, and these areas the further you go out become more rural or debatably part of other metro areas like Richmond. Enough of that tangent though....

Most of the areas that you are looking at are around 5-10% AA. The percentage at the school level skews a bit higher, generally around 10%. They're there, not in huge numbers, but there nonetheless so I'm uncertain as to why you wouldn't see any when you visited. Just coincidental I suppose. The areas are very integrated but I'm sure there are some streets or subdivisions that are less or more diverse than others. In Ashburn, there is also a pretty large Asian community, as well as a sizable Latino community (both growing rapidly) so it's more of a melting pot, whereas Gainesville/Haymarket have less of each. I wouldn't call any of the areas hotspots for blacks though. They're all pretty much cookie-cutter suburbia. They're not really social hotspots for anyone. They're very geared towards families. There are a handful of older churches in the area with predominantly black worshippers, but I'm not sure about beauty supply or barber shops or things of that nature. If you google, there are websites out there that actually will map out by zip code, the closest stores and shops that specialize in AA hair and beauty salons.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,902 times
Default Where to live in Northern VA

We are relocating to NoVa and would like to know, is the Ashburn area in Loundon county and Gainsville/Haymarket in Prince Williams county considered Northern VA? Were do the AA population live in these communities? The schools seem to have around 10% population of AA, but when we visted the areas a few times we saw very few and sometime no AA.
Are these areas considered a good place for AA to socialize (chruches,babers, beauty supplies,neighbor,ect.)? How are these area set up in referance to statis? Loundon in much higher than PW is their a reason for this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia