Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 01:22 PM

238 posts, read 696,211 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Currently I live in Fairfax (near Fairfax City) and have decided to move to Lakeside Apartments in Centreville to save a few extra bucks. I'm hoping someone can answer a few of my questions...

*What areas of Centreville should 2 mid-20s folks check out? What areas would you avoid and why?

*My commute will not be too bad as I work north of Centreville; however, my roommate needs to commute back to Fairfax City. Can anybody recommend back roads or low-traffic commutes between the two towns?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 01:58 PM

309 posts, read 828,615 times
Across from Lifetime gym take Machen and cross over 28. Left at the bank and immediate right and cross over Old Centreville Rd. Left at the light onto New Braddock. Take Braddock to 123 - you are right by GMU at this point.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire2900 View Post
Across from Lifetime gym take Machen and cross over 28. Left at the bank and immediate right and cross over Old Centreville Rd. Left at the light onto New Braddock. Take Braddock to 123 - you are right by GMU at this point.
Thank you!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:26 PM

36 posts, read 64,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequeño_Bonsai View Post
Hi all,

Currently I live in Fairfax (near Fairfax City) and have decided to move to Lakeside Apartments in Centreville to save a few extra bucks. I'm hoping someone can answer a few of my questions...

*What areas of Centreville should 2 mid-20s folks check out? What areas would you avoid and why?

*My commute will not be too bad as I work north of Centreville; however, my roommate needs to commute back to Fairfax City. Can anybody recommend back roads or low-traffic commutes between the two towns?

Thanks for your help!

I just did the opposite actually and moved from Centreville to Fairfax. My girlfriend was living at Lakeside and it's not such a bad place aside from the parking... the management does a pretty decent job and isn't ruining the place like Woodway (where I lived)'s management is doing.

And just to amend Claire's suggestion... don't take Machen from Lakeside. Why? The left green onto New Braddock has got to be one of the shortest lights ever and if it gets backed up at all you'll be sitting there for a long time. Instead go out on Bella, left onto Field Encampment, right onto Centrewood, then take a left at the first light (New Braddock) and then go straight at the New Braddock & 28 intersection.

Even more of a time-saver in the morning is if the left turn light just turned red at Centrewood & New Braddock but the straight light is still green, go straight and make a U-turn a little bit further up and take a right onto New Braddock which often saved me waiting at an extra light at the 28 & New Braddock light.

Here's a google map of it: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.154324&z=13

As far as going north, it really depends on where, but 28N and 66E are the ways I always took...no real anti-traffic ways like to Fairfax

As far as places to go for guys in their mid-20s... Ned Devines is right across the street from Lakeside...not too bad of a place for a weekend night out. They usually have a DJ and dancefloor going. There's also an inexpensive driving range just off Braddock Rd & Clifton Rd which also has a small practice course. Also there's batting cages and putt putt in Clifton right off Braddock.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 AM

Thanks for your help, illeagle! Fairfax is a nice area, you'll enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illeagle View Post
I just did the opposite actually and moved from Centreville to Fairfax. My girlfriend was living at Lakeside and it's not such a bad place aside from the parking... the management does a pretty decent job and isn't ruining the place like Woodway (where I lived)'s management is doing.

And just to amend Claire's suggestion... don't take Machen from Lakeside. Why? The left green onto New Braddock has got to be one of the shortest lights ever and if it gets backed up at all you'll be sitting there for a long time. Instead go out on Bella, left onto Field Encampment, right onto Centrewood, then take a left at the first light (New Braddock) and then go straight at the New Braddock & 28 intersection.

Even more of a time-saver in the morning is if the left turn light just turned red at Centrewood & New Braddock but the straight light is still green, go straight and make a U-turn a little bit further up and take a right onto New Braddock which often saved me waiting at an extra light at the 28 & New Braddock light.

Here's a google map of it: 6216 Ridge Pond Rd, Centreville, VA 20121 to George Mason University: Fairfax, 4400 University Dr, Fairfax, VA 22030 - Google Maps

As far as going north, it really depends on where, but 28N and 66E are the ways I always took...no real anti-traffic ways like to Fairfax

As far as places to go for guys in their mid-20s... Ned Devines is right across the street from Lakeside...not too bad of a place for a weekend night out. They usually have a DJ and dancefloor going. There's also an inexpensive driving range just off Braddock Rd & Clifton Rd which also has a small practice course. Also there's batting cages and putt putt in Clifton right off Braddock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia