Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 04:40 AM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times

Advertisements

I live in Northern VA and believe there is a White Flight from Fairfax and Prince William County. I see fewer and fewer White People every day. This is not the old fashioned White Flight like in the 1960s when Whites left their hometowns as Blacks moved in and crime went crazy. Instead, the suburbs of Washington DC are more like a United Nations every day. In fact the crime is going down and many neighborhoods are being improved in someways by the influx of immigrants.

What I see is fewer and fewer old fashioned regular White Americans like you see in the Midwest and the Mountain States. People who link their backgrounds to Germany and other Northern European Countries. When I see a blond here in Northern VA, I now do a double-take and assume they are a tourist.

I saw a interesting post in the Long Island section about the old guard there being upset that the people with Italian and Irish backgrounds moving out.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...s-what-do.html

There is a White Flight in Suburban NY City, how about SUBURBAN Washington DC?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:00 AM
LLD

654 posts, read 3,071,452 times
Perhaps you should look at the stats before making a claim. Last I read the NOVA suburbs are about 30% minorities, so that leaves 70% that aren't. And the reason for the increase in minorities in the suburbs is because many jobs/companies have moved out to the suburbs. Just look at the Dulles Corridor.

BTW, as one data point -- I'm a white person "flighting" back to the DC metro suburbs. :-) I LOVE the diversity and the international flavor of the area. It's a very strong positive point as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:08 AM

The first reply to my post is missing the point.

I am not making a value judgement about the pros and cons of immigration tot the Washington area, just making an observation that in the last few years I have noticed a significant decrease in the number of whites in Northern VA.

Also the 30% figure is the amount of foreign born not the number of people from a minority group. Many minorities are children of immigrants born in America.

Finally, a large number of people who are considered "white" in the Washington area are actually Hispanic, Arab, and from other countries that do not have much immigration presence in other Cities around America. If you go to Minnesota, for example, most people are from Germany or other Northern European Countries, going back 3-5 generations. Here in NVA, the "White People" are from places in the World that may seem "foreign" to many people. I would suggest that TODAY only a third of the people in Northern VA can link their ancestry to Europe. This is a vast change from Northern VA just 20 years ago.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:22 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Well - I also notice in there are there are a lot of interracial marriages that have produced interracial children - which I think is good - who is to say what is "white" anymore. We truly are a "melting pot"

Old 08-19-2007, 05:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
The definition of 'White' also changes----------100 years ago Italians and Irish were considered to be non White.

And too; most Hispanics using the US Gov't guidelines (from Spanish speaking countries [Argentina is 97% White, racially speaking]) are White.

The remainder of Hispanics AKA 'brown' Mexicans, etc. are actually of Native American (Aztec, Mayan, Yaqui, etc) heritage.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:58 PM

86 posts, read 367,158 times
Not sure what the point of your question is. The question sounds 1940s or before. The color of one's skin is not determinant of behavior as you indicated. Hopefully, we can get past this issue of skin color in the near future.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:18 PM

Not sure what the point of your question is.
=============================
My point is NVA is now becoming mostly immigrant with fewer and fewer American born. This has a big impact on the schools and culture, does anyone else notice?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:20 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Not sure what the point of your question is.
=============================
My point is NVA is now becoming mostly immigrant with fewer and fewer American born. This has a big impact on the schools and culture, does anyone else notice?
Considering America is and always has been composed of immigrants, I'd say that yeah---that'd have quite an impact on our culture...or should I say country?

Old 08-19-2007, 07:23 PM

182 posts, read 540,522 times
I dont have any numbers to back this up, but these are just my personal observations after living in the DC/NOVA areas for 5 years....

Inside the beltway, a lot of white, professional, 20-something year old singles are moving to Arlington and Alexandria (especially Arlington) in droves. Hispanic families, who are being priced out of Alexandria and Arlington are moving to Falls Church (not the actual city, but just outside), especially around the Route 50 corridor. Annandale has a very large Asian population, and the Bailey's Crossroads area is teeming with Middle Easterners.

Outside the beltway (I'm talking about Fairfax County) is definitely a United Nations...people from all ethnic and racial backgrounds living together (relatively harmoniously) in NOVA suburbia. However, I dont really see much of a "white flight" If anything, there's a lot of white families moving out to Loudoun County, but not out of the NOVA region.

So overall, I'd say white singles are moving into Arlington, and white families are moving into Loudoun county. Families from other racial/ethnic backgrounds are moving into Fairfax. If anyone else can add to this feel free....

Old 08-20-2007, 01:49 PM

699 posts, read 2,235,660 times
I don't think that the whites are moving out of Nova. It's just that more people of different racial/ethnic backgrounds are here than in the past. The whites haven't really left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: