Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 06:40 PM

21 posts, read 29,053 times

Advertisements

Peace and Love to all,
I was wondering if anyone could be so kind as to share with me info about vegan/vegetarian day cares (for toddlers) in the Northern Virginia/Washington, DC area. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Peace and Blessings to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 07:40 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,470,086 times
When I was researching day cares five years ago, I do not recollect coming across any list that was based on meal preferenes. However, I do know there are several day cares that will either let you bring food from home or arrange for meals based on the child's preferences. You might be better off shortlisting 2-5 day cares based on location, commute, quality, etc. and then checking with them to see if they will accomodate your dietary restrictions.

Another option might be to look into family day homes where there is a small group of children. Individual preferences can be honored easily in smaller settings.

You can search for all day care centers, family day homes, etc here: *Child Day Care - Search for a Facility - Virginia Department of Social Services. This site lists all the violations for the centers.

Good luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,951,820 times
Kutra11 gave you a fantastic list which I used as my guideline when calling around. I have been visiting and researching centers like crazy and have not come across any that had meal preferences (other than allergy of course) across the board. Many go the all organic route but I didn't come across that specialized in vegan or vegetarian cuisine. Most can just accommodate and create a menu specific for your child, otherwise you are welcome to bring your own food to any of them (at least that is what they told me) so if you aren't opposed to your child being around other children not eating the same foods you they will be very accommodating.

I have a few friends that are raising their children as vegetarians and they just bring their food and the daycare has no problem accommodating them. The only issue is that they are curious about what the other kids are eating.

Good Luck! I would first find a daycare/preschool that you are comfortable with in other factors like learning environment (suzuki, montessori, etc.) first and then inquire about the diet options. That was a hot button on my list.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:27 AM

21 posts, read 29,053 times
Thank you kutra11 and Alley01. You both have been helpful. I actually found a vegan/vegetarian daycare in Bowie, MD but I would not recommend them because their hours are not workable especially for working parents. Also they have some bogus fees that many other daycares don't charge.
Thanks and I will let you know what I find!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia