Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,164 times

Advertisements

Life expectancy in the U.S. varies widely by region and in some places is decreasing - The Washington Post
Quote:
As they had previously, Murray and his colleagues found huge variation in life expectancy in the United States, with some of biggest extremes right around Washington. Fairfax County’s men, for example, had the longest life expectancy in the country, 81.1 years in 2007. In the city of Petersburg, 25 miles south of Richmond, life expectancy was 14 years less, and at 66.9 years among the lowest for men in the country.

The District is one of the places that has seen a big recent jump in life expectancy for a particular demographic group — black men, from 61.7 years in 1997 to 68.9 in 2007, a huge jump in demographic terms. The reason for the big increase isn’t entirely clear.

The region where life expectancy is lowest, and in some places declining, begins in West Virginia, runs through the southern Appalachian Mountains and west through the Deep South into North Texas. Places of high life expectancy are more scattered. In addition to Northern Virginia they include counties in Colorado, Minnesota, Utah, California, Washington state and Florida.
Lots to discuss here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Life expectancy for men in Fairfax County is the highest in the nation. For deer that cross the road in Fairfax County, not so much.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Funny juxtaposition of threads this morning.)

Old 06-15-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Life expectancy for men in Fairfax County is the highest in the nation. For deer that cross the road in Fairfax County, not so much.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Funny juxtaposition of threads this morning.)
I don't know about life expectancy, but the fertility of the deer in this region must be too high! I see too many in the area, getting in the way of cars and causing accidents.

The funny thing about that is that I read the local deer population was pretty much wiped out by the early 20th Century, but the bright folks then running the government wanted that deer-hopping-across-the-landscape pastoral look, so they reintroduced deer from elsewhere.

Now, they are everywhere causing accidents, injuries and deaths and spreading Lyme disease. Time for a mass hunt?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,347,051 times
Pretty interesting stuff. I imagine the life expectancy being so high in NOVA is a direct correlation with the affluency of the area. The more affluent a population is, there tends to be a higher degree of health consciousness.

Also, interesting to see the life expectancy trending downwards over the country. Is this a direct result of the increase in obesity and health problems associated with it?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
Pretty interesting stuff. I imagine the life expectancy being so high in NOVA is a direct correlation with the affluency of the area. The more affluent a population is, there tends to be a higher degree of health consciousness.

Also, interesting to see the life expectancy trending downwards over the country. Is this a direct result of the increase in obesity and health problems associated with it?
No, the overall trend is still positive -- average life expectancy is increasing. It's just that there seem to be areas where it has declined to merit some concern.

I do think that affluence correlates well to health consciousness, but there must be other factors as well. For example, Utah is probably not that affluent as a whole, but is apparently near the top. No doubt clean living (and a family-oriented lifestyle) helps too.

I read a few years ago that Asian women in Bergen County (NJ) had the longest life expectancy in the U.S. (at 91). I wonder whether that is still true. I am sure this is but one evidence of the positive health benefits of affluence, diet, marriage/family life and, yes, good genes.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Yup. DC Metro area frequently tops the various lists of fittest/healthiest areas in the US. I'm a little surprised that we have longevity since a lot of people tend to move away from expensive metro areas like this when they hit retirement. You'd think life expectancy would be highest in Florida.

Maybe it means not that many people are moving away anymore. Not as many are retiring these days, and Nova is also attracting more retirees.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:

I so agree with this. It's disgusting how little people exercise these days. This whole idea that we somehow become "world class" by making all our public areas require as little walking/exercise as possible saddens me.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,327 times
no avg. life expectancy is going up, but we're still behind other industrialized nations, unfortunately.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
I so agree with this. It's disgusting how little people exercise these days. This whole idea that we somehow become "world class" by making all our public areas require as little walking/exercise as possible saddens me.

Arlington has (zoning and development issues aside) really been pushing walking and biking, even going so far as its "arlington Carfree diet" PR campaign. They have lots bike lanes to supplement the trails, and they issued a very nice brochure of suggested pleasure walks around their nabes (we have done one of those walks)

There is even progress in Fairfax - the new beltway bridges for example, are going to be more ped/cyclist friendly (my family and I can hardly wait for the new LRT bridge to be completed). IIUC they have done stuff with bike lanes as well. And of course there are big plans to make Tysons more walkable. And for a recreational focus, we have among other things the Cross County Trail, which I have posted about in other threads.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
So people who may not have time to excerise are disgusting? So considering I have a 45 min commute each way, spend 10 hours at work, and am a full-time senior college student, who needs any rest he can get, I'm disgusting?

I think you can address our need to excerise without being nasty and rude, thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia