Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which redesign plan do you like best for downtown Leesburg?
The approved plan (with parking at nearby garage) 2 100.00%
Alternative #1 (with street parking) 0 0%
Alternative #2 (with street parking) 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,109,207 times

Advertisements

Well, the redesign for Leesburg has hit a controversy about parking.

The following was approved March 21:

- five street trees
- four of the 12 spaces remain (two at each end of King Street) for loading, parking or both
- widened sidewalks
- mid-block crosswalks
- nine street lights
- space for out door cafes

At a meeting the next day, several residents and local merchants protested. Two alternative plans were presented and apparently are being given some serious consideration due to the number of residents who seemed concerned about reducing parking in front of the stores in favor of wider sidewalks and room for outdoor cafes.

So.... what do you guys think? Does street parking matter or is the nearby parking garage adequate? Which plan do you like best? The plan above, or one of these alternates?

Alternative One:
- 11 of 12 spaces remain (two at each end) for loading, parking or both
- nine street lights
- street-print brick pattern for parking spaces
- mid-block crosswalk (with widened sidewalk adjacent)
- widened pedestrian intersections

Alternative Two:
- all 12 spaces and loading to remain
- street-print brick pattern for parking spaces
- nine street lights
- widened pedestrian intersections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,970,587 times
I don't like the second alternative at all. Sacrificing a crosswalk for an extra parking space? That's dumb.

I don't have much sympathy for the protestors. The issue has been discussed and debated for over a year. They had plenty of time to present these alternatives.

If I'd had my way, I would have made the whole thing a pedestrian mall.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:22 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,895,928 times
Quote:
If I'd had my way, I would have made the whole thing a pedestrian mall.
As an ex-Leesburg resident...I second this!

Close it off (like Charlottsville) more outdoor seating for cafe's etc...
Sat or Sun farmers market etc...

Old 03-23-2011, 08:25 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,519,141 times
There needs to be some spaces for loading/unloading, otherwise every delivery driver is going to block off King/Market. One parking space is worth the crosswalks, etc., so if I had to choose one of the three, it'd be Alternative One.

As for a pedestrian mall a la Winchester, where would we have folks going for detours? You could in theory close off Market between Liberty/Wirt and Church but that would require rerouting onto Loudoun -- if folks are up in arms over a few parking spots imagine what closing King and/or Market would do!

Looking forward to the light/crosswalk at North though

Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,109,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
You could in theory close off Market between Liberty/Wirt and Church but that would require rerouting onto Loudoun -- if folks are up in arms over a few parking spots imagine what closing King and/or Market would do!
LOL that would sure cause some local excitement!

Rerouting the traffic wouldn't be such a bad idea, actually. It would be rough at first but I think people would get used to it very quickly.

Whether it's a pedestrian mall a la Winchester or not, Leesburg should capitalize on King Street,. They need to stop thinking of it as a major street to drive through the area, but more as a destination. It could be a nice tourist attraction with historic buildings and outdoor cafes.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,895,928 times
^ totally agree!

You can make the sidewalks bigger to accomadate tables etc... but really who wants to sit outside and eat with all the traffic noise and smell.... YUK!

King street was a mess 4 years ago...it could take almost 20 minutesto get from North Street to Edwards ferry with traffic and lights etc...

Totally blocking it off would really help Resturants and shopes, sometimes I wouldn't even go across the street to store that looked neat because it was such a hassel!

yes it would take some time to get used to going around....rerouting etc...BUT doesn't EVERYONE do that anyway? You sit in traffic at the light and curse your self for NOT going up one block on down etc to avoid it.

Make Church strret one way going East and Wirt one way going west. It's all over Europe and historic areas all over the US.
And yes, put in another parking garage.

I heard the Tally Ho closed, is that so? too bad that was a nice little place to take the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia