Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:01 PM

16 posts, read 34,987 times

Advertisements

I currently live in historic downtown Fredericksburg. I love the feeling of the historic buildings; having restaurants right next to me, foot traffic, all that.

I have received a job offer in Ashburn (intersection of Rt 7 and 28) that I cannot pass up. Simple as that.

So I've been looking at options, and commuting looks out of the question.

1) How is downtown leesburg compared to downtown fredericksburg? The pictures look similar; and I'm going to go check it out this weekend. But additional insight would be VERY helpful.

2) Assuming theyre similar:
- What do apartments run in HISTORIC downtown? Not a bike-ride to downtown, but akin to living above a shop or similar (which is what I do in Fredericksburg).
- How is the community? Fredericksburg has an actual community feel, outside of just looking cute. Is this present in downtown leesburg?

Finally, any resources for finding a place and/or apartments that I should AVOID AVOID AVOID?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 AM

989 posts, read 2,858,951 times
I don't think there are any apartments above the shops or in the historic area of downtown in Leesburg but I could be wrong. You probably wouldn't want to live in the apartments on Plaza Street or up Edwards Ferry Road (or at least I wouldn't want to live there). There are cute townhomes near downtown but you'd have to find someone renting them out. It is a cute little town but it is very small. I'm not familiary with Fredericksburg but this historic part of Leesburg is about 10 blocks square and that's being generous. I don't find that the town of Leesburg has a community feel but I could be wrong. They do have a lot of functions (First Friday, parades, etc).

Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,972 times
I've seen a few apartments above the shops along Market and King, and some of the older historic homes have been split into apartments. I don't know about availability or rents, though.

http://www.leesburgva.org/Modules/Sh...ocumentid=2141

is the outline of the historic district. It's more than 10 square blocks.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:10 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,144,810 times
The one great thing about downtown Leesburg is the restaurants. Some very, very good restaurants.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 AM

388 posts, read 791,967 times
There is NO comparison to a restaurant like Volt to Lightfoot or Tuscarora Mill. I like Leesburg for what it is, but it pales in comparison to Frederick. Good luck in your search.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:58 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,103,014 times
OP, have you done a search for apts in downtown Leesburg? I was down there the other day and when we drove out (west on the Rte 7 Business bypass), we passed some apts on the left. Can't remember the name but they were no more than 3 stories up, older but well-maintained (fr the outside) and brown.

Another suggestion is finding a room to rent in a house. Or someone might have a basement apt or 3rd flr loft-attic (a finished space oftentimes called a "bonus room), or finished room over a garage.

Since you're visiting, you might take a look at the places that have signs posted. I live in Winchester (which has a huge historic downtown) and some landlords out here advertise by posting "Rent" signs with nothing on Craig's List or the internet. Good luck!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:51 PM

That's how I found my apartment in Fredericksburg - it was posted with a sign; no online listing or anything.

So I'm going to go seek that out when I visit this weekend - maybe just maybe I'll find what I'm looking for.

Winchester is also on the list; definitely a commute I'd do and the historic downtown appeals. How is the community? Close knit? Somewhat lively? Etc.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:04 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,103,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walked View Post
Winchester is also on the list; definitely a commute I'd do and the historic downtown appeals. How is the community? Close knit? Somewhat lively? Etc.
You'd love it out here. I think it resembles Fredericksburg more than Leesburg (historic area is huge). It's a different world from NoVA (where we used to live). But your commute would be an hour or more (if the weather was bad).

It's doable though - we have one friend who commutes to Herndon every day. He leaves around 6:00am though.

Rent will be lower out here. And if you're interested in buying (esp a historic home), you could probably afford one out here.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:38 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
You'd love it out here. I think it resembles Fredericksburg more than Leesburg (historic area is huge). It's a different world from NoVA (where we used to live). But your commute would be an hour or more (if the weather was bad).

It's doable though - we have one friend who commutes to Herndon every day. He leaves around 6:00am though.

Rent will be lower out here. And if you're interested in buying (esp a historic home), you could probably afford one out here.
I would not commute further in than Herndon/Chantilly from Winchester.

If you're ok with the Greenway and paying the Aussies $8 a day, then I'd consider Reston even up to Tysons if you get a decent schedule.

And yes, Winchester's historic area is larger than Leesburg's.

Leesburg is a historic core, with a surrounding ring of nice 60s/70s homes and strip malls, then vast oceans of subdivisions and big box malls.

I love working out in Leesburg, and getting to explore the town during lunch hours ... I think I will love living there even more.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the insight.

There are definitely some above-shop apartments in Leesburg; but didnt see a single sign up for rent. Struck out there.

Going to go check out Winchester tomorrow. I can handle an hour long commute, no big deal.

Any other suggestions for places to live out that way (Ashburn job locale) if I like a little bit of charm/history where I'm at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia