Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 14,945 times

Advertisements

Can someone in the group help me figure this out.
I am a physician and I have a 7 year old and a 3.5 year old kid. Ee are trying to move. I am looking at an opportunity in Winchester, VA, but we want to live close to Leesburg, VA. Other option is Berryville, VA. Can some one who lives there give me an opinion.
1)What may be the best bet, live in Berryville, VA, be close to work and to Leesburg and possibly pay less in taxes and home prices or just live in Leesburg, VA and commute. Also from the perspective of schools and quality of life!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:35 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,042 times
What is in Leesburg that you need to be close to? How often would you be visiting that? it's maybe 40-45 minutes between Winchester and Leesburg, so if you need to be in Leesburg 1x a week or less, Winchester is better.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 14,030 times
Default come to leesburg!

only because *we* are!

everyone i have met there has been lovely -- warm, welcoming, etc.. Kid friendly, and the Ida Lee Park rec center is incredible for the kids. We're not moving down until July, but every visit we like it better, and people we'd met last time come up and chat with us, and we are keeping our fingers crossed that our not-too-into-sports 6 year-old will find his way (i.e. meet some other science-nerds!). We keep meeting other parents who say they really love living in Leesburg. Just an impression, but there you have it.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
If you're a doctor in Winchester, trust me, you're going to live a very good life in town. There's nothing in Leesburg that you won't find in Winchester for day-to-day living. I'm confident you will be shown houses in the Historic District and Meadow Branch (jokingly refered to as Medical Branch since so many doctors live there). John Kerr Elementary is a very popular choice but Powhattan, Holy Cross and Winchester Academy are viable private school alternatives. The country club has fabulous family-related activities with tons of children. They have a rapidly developing tennis program for children and a beautiful new aquatic center with slides etc. The quality of life in Winchester is wonderful!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,730 times
I'd live in Winchester if I were you. Berryville's pretty but it is a very small town and you and your kids would find yourselves wanting to spend most of your time in Winchester anyway. Because you are a physician there's no way I would recommend that you live in Leesburg -- it is way too far from your practice.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:28 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,171 times
what about cutting the difference and living in Purcellville? The schools in Berryville are not well respected, so from that perspective moving to Loudoun would be preferable, however the trip from Leesburg to Winchester is a solid 45 minutes.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:14 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,443,903 times
Tonight is a perfect example of why you don't want to work in Winchester and live in Leesburg or Purcellville.

The Mountain -- the border of Clarke County and Loudoun County. It looks like a small mountain, but it can be a bear.

Snow, sleet, fog, rain . . . it has a mutlitude of problems. An accident shuts it down and there is no alternate route for MILES. Tonight, the mountain is closed. Good luck getting anywhere.

Trust me on this one -- live in Winchester. Here's an idea: rent for a year in Winchester, if you don't fall in love with the place, you can buy over the mountain.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Tonight is a perfect example of why you don't want to work in Winchester and live in Leesburg or Purcellville.

The Mountain -- the border of Clarke County and Loudoun County. It looks like a small mountain, but it can be a bear.

Snow, sleet, fog, rain . . . it has a mutlitude of problems. An accident shuts it down and there is no alternate route for MILES. Tonight, the mountain is closed. Good luck getting anywhere.

Trust me on this one -- live in Winchester. Here's an idea: rent for a year in Winchester, if you don't fall in love with the place, you can buy over the mountain.

Good luck!
Couldn't agree with you more...Mount Weather gets encased in ice whenever there's freezing rain -- its surreal.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:08 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie97 View Post
I am a physician and I have a 7 year old and a 3.5 year old kid. Ee are trying to move. I am looking at an opportunity in Winchester, VA, but we want to live close to Leesburg, VA.
If you work in Winchester why would you want to live in Leesburg? Winchester is much bigger, much nice (IMO), friendlier, more activities, etc.? Houses are also priced lower over here and so are the taxes.

We lived in NOVA (Sterling) for 20+ years and recently moved to Winchester and absolutely love it! It is a world of difference here and the one thing you will not miss is the TRAFFIC of NOVA (which I'm sure you've already heard about).

We ended up buying in the historic district, mainly because we wanted to be downtown and in a walkable area. But this place has a range of houses for whatever your preference--from the old and historic to the new McMansions on the outer perimeters.

If you haven't come to visit, I would recommend so. And take the time to stroll a bit and check things out. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2011, 02:14 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post

The Mountain --

Trust me on this one -- live in Winchester. . .
LL, we learned our lesson last yr when it snowed heavily and we were at Wegman's in Ashburn heading back to Winchester. It was absolutely treacherous. I consider myself a seasoned driver living up north and handling all kinds of snow and ice--but that mountain in the snow and ice ---was terrifying.

When it snowed on Wed, I was at the supermarket and within 20 minutes, that snow was coming down fast and hard. My son was working in NOVA and I told him to leave ASAP and he did. This was around 3pm. He told me that the ramps on Rte 7 west near Leesburg were already a mess and people were slipping on them. And on the way home, he saw a few cars in ditches already near the mountain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: