Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 14,151 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a week long vacation, flying from Dulles Airport and I'm thinking of parking at the Herndon Park & Ride a few miles away from Dulles and taking the Metrobus from the Herndon Park & Ride to Dulles. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg parking at Dulles. Is it safe to park at the Herndon Park & Ride for 8 days? Do you know of any other safe places to park around Virginia with bus service from the parking lot to Dulles? I live in Gaithersburg MD so taking the Metro or the Metrobus to Dulles is out of the way since there is no Metro straight from Maryland to Virginia and I would have to go through DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 07:31 PM

577 posts, read 2,060,689 times
Maybe. See this link.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:01 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,628 times
I parked there for 5 days and several weekends without a problem. I'd say go for it but dont do it on a daily basis.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:07 PM

4 posts, read 14,802 times
Default still OK

I parked for 5 nights over 4th July weekend - flying from IAD. No problems at all.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,692 times
Park-n-Ride isn't a parking lot for general parking. All it'll take is ONE official person having a bad day to get your car towed. That's a whole lot more expensive than long-term parking at Dulles.

Parking Rates & Services

Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Park-n-Ride isn't a parking lot for general parking. All it'll take is ONE official person having a bad day to get your car towed. That's a whole lot more expensive than long-term parking at Dulles.

Parking Rates & Services
Agreed! I would rather feel safe about parking in a paid lot then taking my chances but that is just me..

Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 14,802 times
Given that the website for Fairfax County Park and Ride states explicitly that Park and Rides are open 24 hours and that you are allowed to park overnight (at your own risk), I don't think there is much danger of getting towed by an official - no matter how bad their day. Also, plenty of people who work 3rd shifts park in that particular lot overnight and take the 5A east. So how do they know which cars are theirs and which are for the airport?

The signs in the park and ride indicate 'commuter parking only.' But if you are using the 5A bus to get to Dulles (fees for which help pay for the park and ride), I don't see how they can complain. At least they get some revenue out of you - as opposed to the nothing they get from people carpooling from there. Perhaps if the lot were full, or nearly so on a regular basis, I could see a basis for complaint. But it is never is more than 2/3 full - even on weekdays.

I wouldn't park there for the airport on a regular basis or long term, but for a short trip, I think this is a fine alternative to the frankly outrageous prices charged for 'economy' parking at Dulles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia