Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:26 PM

11 posts, read 20,247 times

Advertisements

I hope that all is well. I am starting a new position with my employer in Washington, DC next month. This transfer is happening quickly and I need to secure housing. My husband and I have two children (ages 2 and 3) and we currently live in Jacksonville, FL. I work for the federal government and he is a middle school math teacher.

We would like a family friendly neighborhood, relatively close to a Metro station in northern, VA. I have searched the boards, and it seems like Alexandria, Springfield, Arlington and Fairfax fit the bill. Am I missing any neighborhoods? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1. I am hoping to pay no more than $2,500/month for a three bedroom home or townhome.

2. We would like a neighborhood that is close to a park, and pool, and also within close distance to shops. A place where we can take a walk or jog, and even walk to stores and restaurants.

3. I will be working in downtown DC at the Fed. Triangle Metro Stop.

4. My husband does not have a job yet, but he in the process of applying. If anyone knows of openings, please let me know.

Also, if anyone knows of any houses for rent, please let me know. My start date is September 13th!

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 05:52 PM

74 posts, read 122,536 times
Just curious, do you work for CBP?
We're from Jacksonville also and my husband is relocating up there at the same time. He'll be in Reston though - at NTC. How funny!
I'm sorry I can't help with the advice though.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
My husband does not have a job yet, but he in the process of applying. If anyone knows of openings, please let me know.

If he can't find a full-time position, have him at least sign up to substitute. He'll probably have jobs most days and get a chance to figure out which schools he'd prefer to teach in.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 PM

9 posts, read 13,954 times
You should check out Falls Church City. Nice small community. Tons of kids. Most people work in DC. Most can walk /bike to Metro to get there. Townhouses and modest 3Br's should run about $2500. I have a3Br for rent that is bit more than that if you're interested we EM. Most neighborhoods in FCC are VERY kid friendly. It is close to W&OD trail for jogging/biking.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:54 AM

@TripleH1978 - no, I work for DOJ, but I've had cases with CPB. Good luck to you too!

@Weezycom - thanks so much for the substitute teaching idea.

@Jujube_Vet - thanks for the info on FCC, I will start to look there next.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:21 AM

175 posts, read 438,147 times
You may also want to look at Vienna/Dunn loring area. Nice, family friendly communties with access to metro. Alexandria is beautiful but is funny in that there are very nice areas surrounded by not so nice areas. The only word I can think of is spotty. Burke is also nice and family friendly. We moved from southwest fla last year and really love the change of seasons and outdoor parks.
Best of luck

Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
In Springfield, around the Metro station, you would likely want to be slightly to the east in the Kingstowne area, or to the west in the West Springfield area. Downtown Springfield, near the Metro and the mall, is a mixed area: commercial, large roadways, a major interstate interchange, some apartments that are not the best, etc. While there are some newer homes not far from the mall that are nice, the neighborhoods seem to exist unto themselves, not part of an overall community/town.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-19-2010, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,668 times
Default Relocating quickly to NoVA, please help

I live in Burke - it's an excelent area, family friendly neighborhood, relatively close to a Metro station - I would recommend it 100%.

Does anyone know about Potomac Club? How is that area?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:29 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,953 times
Default Try this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspsgirl View Post
I hope that all is well. I am starting a new position with my employer in Washington, DC next month. This transfer is happening quickly and I need to secure housing. My husband and I have two children (ages 2 and 3) and we currently live in Jacksonville, FL. I work for the federal government and he is a middle school math teacher.

We would like a family friendly neighborhood, relatively close to a Metro station in northern, VA. I have searched the boards, and it seems like Alexandria, Springfield, Arlington and Fairfax fit the bill. Am I missing any neighborhoods? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1. I am hoping to pay no more than $2,500/month for a three bedroom home or townhome.

2. We would like a neighborhood that is close to a park, and pool, and also within close distance to shops. A place where we can take a walk or jog, and even walk to stores and restaurants.

3. I will be working in downtown DC at the Fed. Triangle Metro Stop.

4. My husband does not have a job yet, but he in the process of applying. If anyone knows of openings, please let me know.

Also, if anyone knows of any houses for rent, please let me know. My start date is September 13th!

Thank you so much!

I just figured out today that there are a lot of options if you go through a realtor who deals with leased houses. I had one send me a list today, and there's 20 of them; and those are just the ones that will consider dogs. If you have no animals, the list will probably be a lot bigger.
Plus, it's a lot less flakey than trying to find one on Craiglist. Let me know if you want the realtor lady's email address!

Old 08-19-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
I just figured out today that there are a lot of options if you go through a realtor who deals with leased houses. I had one send me a list today, and there's 20 of them; and those are just the ones that will consider dogs. If you have no animals, the list will probably be a lot bigger.
Plus, it's a lot less flakey than trying to find one on Craiglist. Let me know if you want the realtor lady's email address!
Yes, I would like her e-mail address, thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia