Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2011, 07:58 AM

14 posts, read 55,736 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating from NNJ (Morris County) to NOVA. Will be working in Tysons area. Have three young boys (2, 6 and 9). Know the area pretty well (wife used to live in Centreville, have family and friends in area). Would like no more than a 30 minute commute in traffic each way (care more about keeping to that timeframe on the return trip home than coming in to work).

Wish list - town/community: suburban; great public schools; a nice downtown (or if not available with house wish list below, a planned community with a lifestyle center that acts like a downtown); shopping; nice restaurants; some diversity; parks/open space; close to new Silver Line would be great.

Wish list - house/neighborhood - 4+br; 1/4+ acre; 3,000+ s.f.; a community with a pool; sidewalks; families with similar aged children; can spend $600k-$700k.

My prelim research and current knowledge lead me to Ashburn, Herndon, Chantilly, Vienna (although not sure I can get all of house/neighborhood wish list in that price range), Reston (used to be gangs...still a problem)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 5,551 times
If I were you I would look at West Springfield/Burke or Fairfax. You want West Springfield or Woodson Highschools. 600/700 will buy you a lot of house. It won't buy you much of a house in McLean, Mt Vernon (terrible schools and bad resturants), or Arlington.

Your commute from Fairfax/West Springfield will be good and you will live in an upscale neighborhood with great schools.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:53 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally51 View Post
If I were you I would look at West Springfield/Burke or Fairfax. You want West Springfield or Woodson Highschools. 600/700 will buy you a lot of house. It won't buy you much of a house in McLean, Mt Vernon (terrible schools and bad resturants), or Arlington.

Your commute from Fairfax/West Springfield will be good and you will live in an upscale neighborhood with great schools.
for planned community/lifestyle center Burke is probably a bit closer to what OP wants then west springfield, I guess (though not really a true lifestyle center there). (Also makes more sense if his move date is AFTER the HOT lanes are completed, even if he is NOT willing to pay the toll)

I would think looking at Reston or Herndon makes sense. I leave it to loudoun people to discuss the realism of the commute, and Vienna people to discuss the realism of the price point/ house size. (otherwise I think ashburn and vienna would probably meet OPs needs, no?)

Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
I'd probably look at North Reston and Oakton in the first instance. North Reston will put you close to Tysons and near Reston Town Center and the future Silver Line. Oakton won't have the proximity to the "lifestyle center" and (future) Metro, but the schools are very good and there are some nice houses in Oakton in that price range. Some properties in Vienna (in particular, in the 22181 zip code) might be worth a look, too, though Vienna tends to be a bit more expensive.

If you feel like you're not getting enough house for the money after looking at those areas, I'd broaden the search to include other places like Ashburn and Burke, which are further away.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
"30 minutes in traffic" isn't going to be doable from most of the areas mentioned. Stay absolutely as close to Tysons as possible. The specific location within Tysons will matter as well, unless you're on Greensboro Drive, which is pretty much rough from everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia