Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 07:34 AM

4 posts, read 4,981 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Mclean from Belgium this August. Our girls are native speakers of French. One will be entering the 5th grade, the other first grade. Does anyone have experience with how the lottery system works? What alternative ways have you augmented your child's French education if you failed to get them enrolled into the program?

Thanks,
Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,308 times
The lottery for the partial French immerson was back in March. There is a wait-list, but I doubt you'll be able to get into the program for the fall school year. Your kids will still have French lessons, but would not be part of the partial-immersion classes.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:57 AM

486 posts, read 1,667,011 times
You should really look into events at the French Embassy and Maison Francaise or the Belgian Embassy events too. I'm only familiar with the French ones... but there are events, films and children's activities that are purely in French so they will still be able to maintain their level of fluency and native language skills. I know there are some difference between France French and Belgian French, but not a huge number... Check out the Embassy's in the area where appropriate French is used.

Otherwise, if you look at French classes and centers that offer classes, most of them are for children who are learning French. I imagine that you're kids are indeed still learning French grammar/ comprehension/ etc..., but on another level completely then non-native speakers.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,930,520 times
I would contact the school to explain your situation. If there are open spaces in the 5th grade due to withdrawals or moves out of the area, the school might consider allowing your older child to enroll since she is already a native speaker. Your younger child might be out of luck, but again might be eligible to take a slot down the road if a current student moves out.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:18 PM

4 posts, read 4,981 times
Default Great info

Yes - we will definitely be looking into the alternative activities to supplement whatever they may get in school. We will also be establishing weekly conversations with friends via SKYPE. There are some differences between French French and Belgian French, but fortunately my oldest has been taught most of the differences thus far in her education. The key thing for us is to get the first grader trained in reading and writing and I'm getting the feeling we will need to rely on a tutor. Any connections/information/recommendations?

Thanks so much!

Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,674 times
Has anyone considered that one of McLean's schools has to be the lowest-scoring? I mean, if KGES is not good enough for you, then 80-90% of FCPS elementaries are not good enough for oyu.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:12 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,437,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Has anyone considered that one of McLean's schools has to be the lowest-scoring? I mean, if KGES is not good enough for you, then 80-90% of FCPS elementaries are not good enough for oyu.
Thank you, you beat me to this. I have a hard time looking down on a school in the McLean area. As far as transferring out, look at the transiency of this area, not to mention having an immersion program that may not be the base school and families chose not to continue. This is my only post on this. I looked at the blog regarding KG and was appalled at the negativity of it, but then, everyone has a right to expresss their opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia