Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:31 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,184,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Because pretty much everyone here speaks English and and our kids generally don't move to or seek jobs in non-English speaking countries?
which is going to hurt our children in the long-run in an increasingly interconnected, global economy. And learning multiple languages young helps children in other subject areas, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 02:38 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,414,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
which is going to hurt our children in the long-run in an increasingly interconnected, global economy. And learning multiple languages young helps children in other subject areas, as well.
Not really. The international language of business is English. i predict most other languages will die out in the next 100 years.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Not really. The international language of business is English. i predict most other languages will die out in the next 100 years.
Good luck with that prediction....

Old 03-08-2011, 02:50 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,039,657 times
It is certainly advantageous to be at least bilingual, trilingual even better.

However-- I am $#%@ tired of seeing Spanish everywhere in this country. After just one hour of clipping coupons with "Ahorre" on it as well as "Save," why is it I now remember the Spanish word for save but the Spanish speakers here aren't expected to remember our word for ahorre? I have also picked up plenty of random Spanish words from my cleaning products. And the aisles at Home Depot. It is ridiculous to pander to the people who are here illegally, and before anyone gets defensive there is no other reason for so much Spanish to be everywhere.

European countries are great at picking up an extra 1, 2, 3 languages (it helps that they are so small that their citizens can easily travel from one country/language to another) but most have ONE common language to unite them. Where there is more than one (ex: Belgium) there is bitterness.

Let's enrich our kids' lives with foreign languages -- It is advantageous in other ways, too, as hilsmom said, such as building brain synapses. But let's bring our own country together with English-only. If you are here and can't clip coupons or run your dishwasher w/o a translator, that's a problem.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,957,056 times
Agree with CAVA. Honestly, why would any global employer hire a white kid who sort of learned Mandarin in high school, when they have their pick of Chinese immigrants who are fluent in both Mandarin and English, and who also have firsthand knowledge of the culture? I have never understood the argument that our kids will be disadvantaged by not knowing Mandarin/Hindi/Spanish.

The kids who never learn standard English will be disadvantaged in the global economy. It's a travesty that there are children born in this country to Spanish-speaking parents who enter kindergarten without knowing any English.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:26 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,733,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
....It's a travesty that there are children born in this country to Spanish-speaking parents who enter kindergarten without knowing any English.

Yeah, but it's absolutely amazing how fast they pick it up!

I used to do a Bailey's Elementary run...which is 90 some percent Spanish. First day of school....lots of kindergarteners that speak not a word of English climb aboard the bus. By Christmas, they're talking to me and asking questions about stuff...often without even an accent!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
The kids who never learn standard English will be disadvantaged in the global economy. It's a travesty that there are children born in this country to Spanish-speaking parents who enter kindergarten without knowing any English.
I think the real travesty is how many native English speakers can't write a coherent letter/essay/paper. I'm not sure what is going wrong, but if you have gotten through middle school at the very least, you should be able to put pen to paper (or fingers to keys, I guess?) and come out with something your reader can understand.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,145,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Yeah, but it's absolutely amazing how fast they pick it up!

I used to do a Bailey's Elementary run...which is 90 some percent Spanish. First day of school....lots of kindergarteners that speak not a word of English climb aboard the bus. By Christmas, they're talking to me and asking questions about stuff...often without even an accent!
Your bus run may have been 90% Hispanic, but Bailey's itself is 54% Hispanic. I think it has a magnet program that pulls in a lot of non-Hispanic students.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:56 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,539,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Where there is more than one (ex: Belgium) there is bitterness.
How DARE you compare our hard-working Hispanic immigrants to those shiftless Walloons? I mean, even the FRENCH make fun of them for being lazy!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,733,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Your bus run may have been 90% Hispanic, but Bailey's itself is 54% Hispanic. I think it has a magnet program that pulls in a lot of non-Hispanic students.

Mmmm, I was guessing about the Spanish percentage at Bailey's....but it sure seemed higher than 54%. Maybe if I said 90 percent of students are immigrants, that might be more like it.

I also drove a magnet bus out of Bailey's for a couple of years and I never figured that out! There are only about 50 out-of-boundary magnet students at Bailey's (chosen by lottery from about 300 applicants), and there are only two requirements for acceptance....1) proficient in English and 2) at or above grade level.

Plus, many of the magnet students were from decidedly low-brow schools like London Towne and Eagle View. Why would anybody want their kid bused clear across the County (over an hour each way!) to attend another crappy school? I know why FCPS wants the magnet kids at Bailey's, but what's incentive for a parent to send them?

Pure conjecture, but the only theory I can come up with is....many of the magnet kids played musical instruments.....and the place is called Bailey's Elementary School for the ARTS and Sciences....maybe the better music teachers are assigned to Bailey's?

On second thought, some of the parents did look like hippies....so maybe the "diversity" thing was enough for them...LOL. One family sent all three of their kids to Bailey's...for the whole 6 six years (K-5)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia