Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 03:25 PM

9 posts, read 17,758 times

Advertisements

HI, My name is Kris, My family is relocating to near Mountain Top PA, from Arizona. We are a middle income family and have 4 daughters. We do not care for the city life and are looking for a safe area with good school districts to reside in. The place my husband will be working is located in/near Mountain Top but we are willing to commute 30 miles or so to work. School test scores are not of great importance, I believe you get out of an education what you put into it. My main concern is that the schools are SAFE. I have 2 daughters in elem and 2 daughters in middle school. I have been told to avoid Willsbarre school district, but the reasoning was not made clear. If anyone could let us know the areas that are safe and also the areas to avoid, I would be so greatful. Also, we are looking to rent a home, any Realtors feel free to make suggestions. Thank You For Your Time, Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 04:34 PM

208 posts, read 651,383 times
Hi Kris,

I relocated to Mountain Top last summer and love it here. I did tons of research before relocating here and feel that it paid off. This forum was very helpful also. The Crestwood SD has an excellent reputation and is a safe school. My experience is that there are not any unsafe areas in Mountain Top. I prefer this area because it is not quite as busy as the city area but all of the shopping, activities, etc. are only 12 minutes away in Wilkes-Barre. We are also close to Rts. 80 and 81. Why not look right here?

Old 04-15-2010, 06:59 PM

9 posts, read 17,758 times
Thank you for replying, I am checking out all areas and interested in Mountain Top, I am just making sure I do not rent a home in a bad location because of my kids. I was told that Crestwwod/Dallas/Clark Summit we for the upper class, not so much middle class, is that true? Also what would you say Mountain Top is, upper or middle? Thank you so much...... Aso have you ever heard of Black Mountain/Green Acres/Bear Creek? I am sorry for asking so many questions, it is hard to move so far when you do not know anything about the state you are moving to. Thank you again

Old 04-16-2010, 04:44 AM

210 posts, read 402,584 times
We just completed a move to Scranton from Birmingham Alabama and finally Settled in Mayfield. Its a reasonable commute to Scr/WB, on the casey hwy, any shopping you need from grocerys to home improv is in dickson city just south 15 minutes. Zero crime We don't have school age kids but I am told schools are good. Housing is reasonable. Town is clean, quiet and friendly. We used this forum a LOT but also did research on Zillow dot com, and Google maps. Also found nepamls for local real estate listings. We have a 1-2 yr lease option on a wonderful home so rentals can be found but you have to look. Hope this helps you some and the people here are so helpful.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,088,087 times
If you're moving from a big city like Phoenix or something I'm sure any school in this area could be deemed safe. They all have the typical problems like drugs but violence within the schools here is not a big issue.

Clarks summit is pretty long drive from Mountain Top, as far as Dallas and Crestwood both of those schools will have most of the students coming from rural and semi rural homes. I don't know if upper class is correct term but certanly solid middle class backgrounds.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:25 AM

272 posts, read 1,003,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmott View Post
Thank you for replying, I am checking out all areas and interested in Mountain Top, I am just making sure I do not rent a home in a bad location because of my kids. I was told that Crestwwod/Dallas/Clark Summit we for the upper class, not so much middle class, is that true? Also what would you say Mountain Top is, upper or middle? Thank you so much...... Aso have you ever heard of Black Mountain/Green Acres/Bear Creek? I am sorry for asking so many questions, it is hard to move so far when you do not know anything about the state you are moving to. Thank you again
I live in Bear Creek most of my life,and is very rural, it has no sewer system as of yet, so its a smaller then Mt Top. It is in the Wilkes-Barre school District,and we have one of the best charter schools in the state,I think the grades go to 7th or 8th, and then they go to Coughlin High in Wilkes-Barre.Back Mt includes Dallas and Lake Lehman,both areas have there own schools, its more like Mt Top.All these areas get a lot of snow in the winter,so if you not used to driving in snow and ice you better learn,also everbody has at least one veahicle that is four wheel drive.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:25 AM

272 posts, read 1,003,682 times
Also look up bentcreekbuilders.com on the web, they have housing developments near Mt Top, my son just bought one of there houses between Mt Top and Hazleton.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:53 AM

19 posts, read 61,994 times
I highly recommend White Haven. It's a very nice, safe town. Mountaintop homes are way overpriced and complete cookie-cutter developments filled with BMW-driving, mortgaged to the hilt, knock-off LV purse wearing "people." You can live 10 minutes away for half the $$$ and live in reality. It's still in the Crestwood SD. Search realtor.com and use zip 18661.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:59 PM

208 posts, read 651,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8tful1 View Post
I highly recommend White Haven. It's a very nice, safe town. Mountaintop homes are way overpriced and complete cookie-cutter developments filled with BMW-driving, mortgaged to the hilt, knock-off LV purse wearing "people." You can live 10 minutes away for half the $$$ and live in reality. It's still in the Crestwood SD. Search realtor.com and use zip 18661.
Please do not stereotype. I live in Mountain Top in what you call a "cookie-cutter" development. I am not mortaged to the hilt and have absolutely no debt other than house and one car payment. I do not drive a BMW (only buy vehicles from American companies) and do not believe in spending more than $30 for a purse so I am not interested in the knock-offs. The houses here are not overpriced if you take into account what you are getting...a nice, safe area with a suburban feel yet convenient to everything. Your opinion is just that, an opinion, not necessarily fact.

We looked in White Haven when we were moving here and could not find anything for sale that was similar to what we were looking for. We also felt it was a little farther out from everything. That didn't mean it's not a nice area, it just wasn't what we were looking for. Everyone has to choose what's best for them but I don't appreciate being lumped into a specific group.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 6,319 times
Wilkes-Barre is a great place to be close enough to shop, as everything is available (except IKEA), but is no place to live anymore as its low-cost living programs are attracting DROVES of new people from NYC, NJ, and Philly who think this overcrowded place is "country" and "quiet"...lot of drugs and people "in the music industry"...ie:RAP...a lot of trash roadside...from people who've never lived in a clean place and in turn, are not conscientious of thier environment or thier effect on others' quality of life. I grew up in Orlando and the beautiful 1000 Islands and this is the scariest place I've ever lived. Definitely give credos to Police Dept. here-they are doing an excellent job! I would choose to live in Mntn. Top w/thier schools or send children to excellent Bear Creek Charter School. NEVER hear of any problems up there-it's like another world and still so close to W-B Thurs. Farmers Mkts, Sun. drive-in flea mrkt., July Back Mntn. auction...all GREAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania