Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:48 PM

19 posts, read 51,321 times

Advertisements

HELP HELP HELP PLZ
I'm a grad student who is moving to NEPA this fall for a one-year internship. I'll be working in Edwardsville, but I am willing to commute up to 45 mins or so. What I am looking for is an apartment or townhome that will be safe and bug-free. I'm not the type to go out to clubs, etc, and I'm not looking for anything fancy (I'm moving from rural Ohio after all). I'm kinda considering the Dunmore area (Country View) or the Clarks Summit area (Laurelwood and Applewood), but I'm just not sure what I'll be getting into. If anyone has lived in an apartment around here and liked it or hated it, I would love to hear from you. I'm headed out this summer to see some places in person, but it would help me a bunch to be able to have some things in mind before I get there. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 AM

307 posts, read 768,833 times
Hi Lilfox, I can't help you but I wanted to bump this up in case someone else can!

Old 03-01-2009, 11:19 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoxi View Post
HELP HELP HELP PLZ
I'm a grad student who is moving to NEPA this fall for a one-year internship. I'll be working in Edwardsville, but I am willing to commute up to 45 mins or so. What I am looking for is an apartment or townhome that will be safe and bug-free. I'm not the type to go out to clubs, etc, and I'm not looking for anything fancy (I'm moving from rural Ohio after all). I'm kinda considering the Dunmore area (Country View) or the Clarks Summit area (Laurelwood and Applewood), but I'm just not sure what I'll be getting into. If anyone has lived in an apartment around here and liked it or hated it, I would love to hear from you. I'm headed out this summer to see some places in person, but it would help me a bunch to be able to have some things in mind before I get there. Thanks all!
First of all welcome in advance to our region! Secondly, please check our direct message inbox if you haven't done so already (see "Your Notifications" near the upper-right-hand corner of the screen and click on the little white down-pointing arrow beside it). You may find something I mentioned in there to be useful.

My personal recommendation would be for you to scope out Green Acres Apartments in Kingston. This would give you a five-minute commute to work, five-minute commute to the rebounding nightlife/arts community in Downtown Wilkes-Barre, a location across the street from a very popular paved running/biking levee-top trail system, and easy access to Route 309 (Cross-Valley Expressway) to get to the mall, arena, and essentially everywhere else in the valley you'd need to get to.

Please look BEYOND Edwardsville at all costs! I'm sure there are still one or two die-hard Edwardsville loyalists lurking around on here who probably want to nail me to the cross for slamming their hometown so much, but a community of well under 5,000 residents should NOT have such issues with drugs and crime. I worry that as Wilkes-Barre continues to gentrify itself and clean up its "crime-ridden" image that more of the undesirables will flood into cheaper nearby communities like Edwardsville, Plymouth, or Nanticoke. Even the parts of Kingston within several blocks or so of the Edwardsville line have gone far downhill over the years (generally speaking the "best" parts of Kingston are those east of Wyoming Avenue/U.S. Route 11, which would include Green Acres).

Another place to consider would be the Mayflower Crossings Apartments in Wilkes-Barre. Formerly a low-income housing project, the complex has been improved under private ownership and is now a much more desirable place to live---I believe a couple of Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Penguins hockey players even live here. Also just outside of Wilkes-Barre are two townhome communities near to the Wyoming Valley Mall and Wachovia Arena (one is called Wilkeswood, and I'm sorry to say I can't recall the name of the other one). Those townhomes are affordable, but most are also owner-occupied.

If you'd like you can check out the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre CraigsList for rental opportunities and then ask for our advice on listings that interest you. I would advise against moving to Clarks Summit/Dunmore if you'll be working down in Edwardsville merely because your only major artery between both points is I-81, and during the upcoming "construction season" you'd run the risk of being late for work quite frequently, as on occasion PennDOT will make "emergency bridge repairs" WITHOUT first warning motorists to try to find alternate routes, causing snarls that back up for many miles through the metroplex. The seven mile or so stretch between the Lackawanna County line and Wilkes-Barre is especially prone for these "emergency" repairs, leaving tempers flaring. If you had some sort of advanced warning then you can always take I-476 South to Pittston, take Route 315 South from Pittston to Wilkes-Barre, and then hop onto Route 309 Northbound to Edwardsville, but while this is not a bad route to take it's also longer and not a guarantee if PennDOT doesn't warn motorists ahead of time about the work they are doing (as they often don't because they're dolts!) I commute via I-81 seven days per week between my home near the Lackawanna County line and both Wilkes-Barre (college) and Edwardsville (work). I've been pleased to see a new LED sign along Route 309 Southbound near Exit 1 that will warn drivers about impending traffic jams as they approach the I-81 juncture, but it's not always working or up-to-date (I've been angry to have taken Route 315 only to see traffic was smooth sailing next to me on I-81 on many occasions after being warned by that sign of traffic jams, making PennDOT look like "the boy who cried wolf!")

Old 03-01-2009, 11:53 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
lilfoxi...my daughter lived at Countryview in Dunmore while attending Penn State which is right next door. It is absolutely lovely. As far as safe...they have a very hand on maintenance mna who operates the place and is always aware of what is going on. It seemed like a very safe place. It was a beautiful apartment on beautiful grounds. As far as bugs...the only thing she had was silverfish...and only in damp weather. I'm sure there are things to put down to get rid of them.

moving to NEPA, want someplace safe-silverfish.jpg

Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Event the most well-kept abodes can at times harbor some insects. Just the other day I nearly fainted when I, being fully disrobed, went to step into my shower and nearly smushed a HUGE centipede! I was home alone (thank God) so I strutted my stuff into the kitchen, retrieved a plastic bottle from the recycling container, scooped him up, and released the poor little guy outside (good thing you're not my neighbors! HAHA!)

Old 03-01-2009, 01:40 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Event the most well-kept abodes can at times harbor some insects. Just the other day I nearly fainted when I, being fully disrobed, went to step into my shower and nearly smushed a HUGE centipede! I was home alone (thank God) so I strutted my stuff into the kitchen, retrieved a plastic bottle from the recycling container, scooped him up, and released the poor little guy outside (good thing you're not my neighbors! HAHA!)
We get centipedes in the summer...actually what we get looks more like the picture above...silverfish....usually when its humid in the summer. But I'm not humane like you....I squish them. Or if my cats get to them first, they eat them.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:45 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
Check out Gateway Apartments in Edwardsville. It's footsteps from Kirby Park and a nice complex. Plus you will be very close to work. Why comute all the way from Dickson City when you really don't have to?

Old 03-01-2009, 02:50 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
lilfoxi...my daughter lived at Countryview in Dunmore while attending Penn State which is right next door. It is absolutely lovely. As far as safe...they have a very hand on maintenance mna who operates the place and is always aware of what is going on. It seemed like a very safe place. It was a beautiful apartment on beautiful grounds. As far as bugs...the only thing she had was silverfish...and only in damp weather. I'm sure there are things to put down to get rid of them.

Attachment 37043
I do not know when your daughter lived there, but my daughter lived there this past summer and it turned into a nightmare. The contact point person was a real nasty piece of work.

Funny thing when I sold my house on Long Island in Nov. the attorney for the buyer was the former partner ( had the owner buy him out) that purchased Country View with the current owner...he agreeded with me about the above mentioned female employee. Soooo it was not just me.

It truly is a small world and I am a firm believer in 6 degrees of seperation!

Old 03-01-2009, 03:47 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

are your neighbors blind or can only the deer see you?

Old 03-01-2009, 04:11 PM

19 posts, read 51,321 times
Thank you thank you to everyone for your input. I'm not too worried about silverfish as I'll be bringing my kitty Bear with me, and he loves to eat those. I'm mostly worried about major infestation issues, such as cockroaches or fleas/ticks. In my experience, even nice complex can occassionally have problems with these, but the good ones work hard to erradicate whereas the bad ones leave it up to you.

Any reviews of Morgan Manor, East Mountain, Summit Pointe, or Gateway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania