Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 18,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Well, I am glad that you have appointed yourself the voice of all newcomers on this forum. If ScrantonWilkesBarre can tell you the upsides of the Wyoming Valley, I certainly have the right to tell you the downsides.
Sir:

I never appointed myself the voice of anything. I was responding specifically to your proposal that you stand up for those of us who never asked for representation.

Yes, you can and should share your opinions. At what point did I suggest anything otherwise?

Answer: I didn't.

We're all capable of drawing our own conclusions based on the many interesting and useful posts from all vantage points--including yours.

My point was--and is--that it's an open forum. And suggesting that a member "complain to people who actually care" is rather presumptuous. (Have you and I had private conversations in which I divulged my cares and concerns to you? And as such, you felt compelled to speak for me?)

But more importantly, suggesting someone stop posting serves only to create unnecessary friction in a place where opinions are meant to flow freely.

Please continue to share your thoughts on the area. Your opinions are useful.

As are SWB's.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Newcomer with a mind of her own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 05:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,706,571 times
Default Pa towns......

Oh for sure everyone should watch out for flood prone areas and get a detailed flood plan map before a purchase. A flood can happen anywhere....we had huge floods in our little town in NJ a few times when a river would come up. Be careful before you buy, and check things out.
That doesn't mean a town is necessarily bad. Our little town in NJ is still there, and still booming.......the hub of Morris County. The town looks much the same, and the flood areas are still just that..near the river so cross your fingers.
All areas grow and prosper.......nothng wrong with that.
A good town planner is an essential to every town. Many towns along rivers do flood.........thats a given and most know to be wary of the rivers fury.
As far as mine fires and smoke........burning under feet.
I don't put Wilkes Barre and Scranton in that same breath. Now if your speaking of Centralia and Carbondale then ok....But, Carbondale was extinguished in 1965........I know there is still smoke coming from the grounds and so..........I'd avoid that town like the plague. No one has ever died from the pits in Centralia........but........humm.......I doubt it would be to ones liking to have to live with that. MOI........Pittston yes, be wary of the river.
But, you all have done a marvelous job with making your town picture perfect. Reminding me of times spent in Morristown, NJ.........great job.
All towns have good and bad points.........A few would make you a bit leery to move there. I 'd say do your homework........and then feel certain and safe before you move.
I had one person pick on my town once.......talked about crime, how bad it was.
It was a bit much........as his town........had a Pizza delivery man murdered by two peopoe who ordered the pie with this plan in mind....And.......had a young lady taken from a laundrymat by force and killed violently and left in a cemetery.
And...........he was telling me my town was bad???
Try for your own history of the town you are thinking of.
Do your own homework..........because some information coming this way is a bit biasd. Then hope for new beginnings.....a new future........for living in the past ,with past mistakes ........doesn't set your goals on an improved town. With new beginnings,and inviting people and places to seek.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukie View Post
Sir:

I never appointed myself the voice of anything. I was responding specifically to your proposal that you stand up for those of us who never asked for representation.

Yes, you can and should share your opinions. At what point did I suggest anything otherwise?

We're all capable of drawing our own conclusions based on the many interesting and useful posts from all vantage points--including yours.

My point was--and is--that it's an open forum. And suggesting that a member "complain to people who actually care" is rather presumptuous. (Have you and I had private conversations in which I divulged my cares and concerns to you? And as such, you felt compelled to speak for me?)

But more importantly, suggesting someone stop posting serves only to create unnecessary friction in a place where opinions are meant to flow freely.

As are SWB's.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Good for you Newcomer...
You keep that mind of your own......I am pretty new too, and .......
I like to be optimistic rather then harbor all the negative....

Old 06-08-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I have a feeling the new Super WalMart in Taylor, just south of the Scranton line will be built and opened before they even start constructing the one in Pittston Twp. I also heard that the new strip mall in the Pittston Crossings will be built first and before the WalMart, but with this dispute who knows.

I see that they're realigning Armstrong Road near Pollock Cheverlot, so the trucks coming off of 81 won't have to make such a tight turn going to the new distribution centers being built. Maybe they will eventually make an access road on the back side of the Pittston Crossings complex down the hill and over the tracks to the Pittston bypass and shopping center, maybe near Redner's, so people won't have to go up Oak or around through Dupont to get there.
Wow, that would be great.........keep us posted on both areas if you can.....thanks

Old 06-08-2007, 06:34 PM

259 posts, read 939,998 times
Quote:
Do your own homework..........because some information coming this way is a bit biasd. Then hope for new beginnings.....a new future........for living in the past ,with past mistakes ........doesn't set your goals on an improved town.
Welcome to Greek Catholic Valley the CooCoo Klan and the Sardoni Family! I'm afraid you newcomers are being suckered into moving to the most corrupt state in the Union (Keystone state!)

Quote:
Do your own homework
Well you won't be able to research these statements anywhere! Mayby you'll find some info at the Sardoni pavilion across the street from the Dikes in Wilkes - Barre!!!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:18 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,021,176 times
Quote:
Sir:

As are SWB's.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

"As a newcomer with a fully-functioning brain of my own, I prefer to read all of the posts and make my own judgments on what to keep and what to discard."

I am glad that you have to repeatedly state that you have a mind of your own. I never tried to prove that you don't. I simply stated that SWB needs to stop clogging the NEPA forum with the same information in EVERY post. Forums are for information, not for one person to take it upon themselves to reword their thoughts in nearly every thread they start. I am aware that you are a newcomer, and therefore have only seen a couple of SWB's posts concerning the matter. For us who have been here a little longer, we have been able to see SWB's incessant posts on the same subject. My request to SWB: Please start doing something proactive about the problem and stop clogging up the forum.

I am so happy that you have a fully-functioning brain, and that you feel the need to state it often.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:28 AM

5 posts, read 18,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
"As a newcomer with a fully-functioning brain of my own, I prefer to read all of the posts and make my own judgments on what to keep and what to discard."

I am glad that you have to repeatedly state that you have a mind of your own. I never tried to prove that you don't. I simply stated that SWB needs to stop clogging the NEPA forum with the same information in EVERY post. Forums are for information, not for one person to take it upon themselves to reword their thoughts in nearly every thread they start. I am aware that you are a newcomer, and therefore have only seen a couple of SWB's posts concerning the matter. For us who have been here a little longer, we have been able to see SWB's incessant posts on the same subject. My request to SWB: Please start doing something proactive about the problem and stop clogging up the forum.

I am so happy that you have a fully-functioning brain, and that you feel the need to state it often.
* I wouldn't have to repeat myself if my posts weren't twisted and returned back as something other than their original meaning--by you.

* Are you set up to track how long people have been reading the forums before commenting on them? I've been reviewing these posts over the course of the past year.

* My limit for dealing with someone whose default setting is passive-aggression and "reactionary for the sake of being reactionary" is about 10 minutes. Those 10 minutes are up.

* I know it would be most satisfying for to send another--yes--"condescending" note in my direction and know that I'll read it. But you lose: I won't be back.

* Ta ta.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:53 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,116,797 times
What most of you do not realize is that lack of urban sprawl is the city gov'ts fault. Currently SWB and the mayor of Scranton are currently pushing development that is encouraging the wealthy younger people to move into the city but its is back firing. There is a 3.4% wage tax in Scranton and it is the highest in the state(Why would anyone want to pay that). A house or townhouse can be purchased in Dunmore with 1% wage tax, dunmore essentially is part of Scranton, the police dept's share streets as well as the fire dept's, so why move to Scranton? As long as the city encourages the wealthy and forces out the moderate to low income families with large tax increase and rate hikes like we just received from the sewer authority. Our sewer bills will be close to $500 in the next 5 years because we have to build a $175 million dollar sewer system to meet the federal requirements. The fact they were notified that this needs to be done 10 years ago but squaddered their resources since now we are left with the bill. We just received the first of many 56.2% increases that are to come. The city is dying from the inside out and its not because of the residents or their moving its because the city gov't is forcing them out in order to encourage the ones they want to move in and this is wrong. Homes are not selling and the market is dead, people are unable to sell their homes because no one wants to buy them. So thus we leave our selves open to a huge influx of out of state residents that are low income to come here and purchase our dying housing stock because the prices still are very cheap in comparison to thier states. The demographics of Scranton are on the fence and if the city gov't continues to force the long time residents out and leave the door open this city will become full of slum lords. We need to encourage the long time residents of Scranton to stay and help their city grow but the current admin is making this very hard for us. YOU CANNOT BLAME THE RESIDENTS FOR MOVING FOR A BETTER LIFE FOR THIER FAMILIES, INSTEAD OF STAYING FOR SOMEONES PIPE DREAMS.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:16 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,021,176 times
Quote:
* I wouldn't have to repeat myself if my posts weren't twisted and returned back as something other than their original meaning--by you.

* Are you set up to track how long people have been reading the forums before commenting on them? I've been reviewing these posts over the course of the past year.

* My limit for dealing with someone whose default setting is passive-aggression and "reactionary for the sake of being reactionary" is about 10 minutes. Those 10 minutes are up.

* I know it would be most satisfying for to send another--yes--"condescending" note in my direction and know that I'll read it. But you lose: I won't be back.

* Ta ta.
Your posts aren't twisted. I am so sorry that you get irritated so easily, and that you know so little about me, but can gather so much. I don't know why you started your exchange with me, or are on a message board, if you cannot stand different personalities. I am reactionary, and have every right to be, especially if I disagree or find fault with something.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:54 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,029,016 times
SWB

I think most members of this forum ( myself included ) would agree that your presence here enriches the forum. At a young age you manage to express your opinions quite cleary, and more importantly you are able to continue doing so when you are attacked by others ( even though I defend their right to do so ) who disagree with you. When you become more adept at allowing those who disagree with you ( even when the idiots attack you personally ) your opinions will carry more weight. Keep on posting and continue to have the courage to say what's on your mind.

Thanks for your many contributions....Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania