Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:21 PM

422 posts, read 2,007,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
Molly Me...How far along have they come with the "Marshalls Creek Bypass".
I used to live in that area..will be back this summer and would like to show a
friend our old house..Is 402 accessible or has it been closed near Oak Grove Rd. due to construction? Thanks.
IT's been set back 3 years.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/704280326

Old 05-16-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrah View Post
Can people commute to New York city who don't have cars? I know of a lot of New York EMT's and paramedics who work in New York and have bought houses in Tobyhanna or the Pocono area. I have a car but I can't drive into the city because of parking.
Yes!! There is the BUS. www.martztrailways.com

My husband drives to one of the many bus stations and gets on the bus. Weekly tickets are about $100. Parking is free at most stations. My hubby has been doing it for years!
The commute on a bus wears on you, but its a lot better than driving.
Check out www.poconocommuter.com

Old 05-16-2007, 01:39 PM

467 posts, read 1,490,669 times
Bypass set back 3 years...It figures....when we lived there we spent more
time going to those PennDot meetings about whose property they were taking. I was so sick of it...and it's still not built......amazing.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 10,610 times
Default Thinking of moving to East Stroudsburg

Hi Molly,

Seems as if we are in a similar situation only you are already in PA. My wife and I have 2 kids (22mths and 6mths) and have been looking all over LI and Queens for a home.

Impossible to find the combination of decent house, good schools, appropriate taxes, commute and area. Living in LI/Queens my whole life (37 years) and it's just not the same.

We're considering a move to PA (east stroudsburg) b/c of the obvious (nice house/new at a fair price, ok taxes). I'll be commuting to NYC and I'm prepared for that (we were looking in commack and that's almost a 2-hour commute) but I'm worried my wife won't have anyone out there during the days.

How's the community? Best schools? People?

Anything you can tell us will be most helpful. I'm working with one real estate agent (Sara Cramer) and she seems nice. She mentioned Tranquility Woods as a new development that's beautiful.

Thanks,

Guiseppe

Old 05-17-2007, 08:50 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,663,350 times
Hi Molly, we want to rent a chalet or house that has a garage, in either the Hideout or another development/area that is similar for 3 months this winter. Must have cable so we can have cable internet and a garage.

No more than 2 1/2 hours from NYC. Preferably Wayne Cnty area but we have open minds.

What say you?

Old 05-17-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiseppe327 View Post
Hi Molly,

Seems as if we are in a similar situation only you are already in PA. My wife and I have 2 kids (22mths and 6mths) and have been looking all over LI and Queens for a home.

Impossible to find the combination of decent house, good schools, appropriate taxes, commute and area. Living in LI/Queens my whole life (37 years) and it's just not the same.

We're considering a move to PA (east stroudsburg) b/c of the obvious (nice house/new at a fair price, ok taxes). I'll be commuting to NYC and I'm prepared for that (we were looking in commack and that's almost a 2-hour commute) but I'm worried my wife won't have anyone out there during the days.

How's the community? Best schools? People?

Anything you can tell us will be most helpful. I'm working with one real estate agent (Sara Cramer) and she seems nice. She mentioned Tranquility Woods as a new development that's beautiful.

Thanks,

Guiseppe

HAHHAHA!! We used to live(rent) in WestBabylon, NY and commuted to NYC....2 hours!!! So now we have a big house on 2 acres and still do the commute. But look what we come home to!! You can easily find a newly built home for under $260 that has 3-4 bedrooms/garage/basement LAND!!

I never heard of Tranquility woods--hmmm. If you are taking a trip up here, stay a few days and getting a feel for the area and commute during the day--take the bus--my recommendation.

Also, visit www.poconocommuter.com and ask about the schools in E.S. They are better than stroudsburg. But some areas are a bit seedy. Look a little north of E.S. maybe Marshalls Creek or a bit south/west of stroudsburg. Why specifically East stroudsburg?? Also go to another agent from another company--to get another perspective. I like Remax of the poconos. And I'll recommend a relator (Mrs. Dulce Ridder).

Good luck. Lots to do in the poconos, but you mostly gotta drive to get there and 4 wheel drive is helpful in the winter. The cost of living is the same if you owned a home on long island. But the one major cost that is cheaper is the actual cost of the home. Everything else-is about even.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Hi Molly, we want to rent a chalet or house that has a garage, in either the Hideout or another development/area that is similar for 3 months this winter. Must have cable so we can have cable internet and a garage.

No more than 2 1/2 hours from NYC. Preferably Wayne Cnty area but we have open minds.

What say you?

Ok HIDEOUT!! Love the development. Parents/and relatives live there!! PLease tell me you don't plan on commuting daily to NYC from that area!!! So you just want to rent...ok did you try the
http://www.pocono-rental.com/

and looked into http://www.hideoutassoc.com

I can't say a bad thing about the hideout!! good luck!!!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:26 AM

Thanks Molly, goodness no! We work on the computer from home ( shhhh ). Adams cable services the Hideout and we like their service.

Bill Cully doesn't have any rentals with garages .

I wanted to place an ad in the Hideabout, called them and asked if they would send me an issue and they didn't. Help!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:16 AM

Check with Chant Realtors, they do ALOT of business in the HIdeout.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:17 PM

Molly I spoke with Bill Cully and he's looking.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania