Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 PM

17 posts, read 61,467 times

Advertisements

Thank you very much Summering, Bagldot and MollyMe!

I've been sitting at the computer with my eyes falling out of my head for weeks looking at MLS listings feeling clueless. I'm thrilled I found this forum where I can ask real people real questions. Thank you all.

Summering ~ why do you say Penn Estates is no longer pleasant? Are the contemporaries good quality homes? It is so close to I80, it seems a shame to not look there.

I've found several houses I like on MLS that are in a place called Saw Creeks Estate in Bushkill, Pikes Cty., PA. Any info on this location would be greatly appreciated. As would any comments on the difference between living in Monroe Cty. vs. Pike or Buck Counties.

I googled Lake Naomi. Looks beau-ti-ful! Are there many communities there? I could only only find 2; Lake Naomi & Timber Trails. Lake Naomi Real Estate - Pocono Mountain Homes And the only Emerald Lake I could find in PA is near Pittsburgh?

Once again, thank you all! Sorry I ask so many questions ... my house is selling soon and I'm trying to narrow down the towns I'll be looking in during my short house searching trip up North. It's either Northeastern PA or the Hudson Valley in NY.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:38 AM

422 posts, read 2,010,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmama View Post
Hi Molly! I presently live in Philadelphia which is going way down. My husband and I are thinking about moving to the Poconos, we have 2 small children. I was told Towamensing Trails? is a nice area. The hubby has grandparents in Indian Mountain and its too secluded for me. Is the Poconos a good place to raise a family, schools, crime, anything you can tell me would be great. Also, do you know of any other areas in the Poconos that would be nice. I also don't want to be too far from school and stores. Sorry this is so long, but this is a big move for me and want to get others opinions. Thanks..

I sent you a private message.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,428 times
Hi
My wife in the early 50s took a train from Scranton, Pa to Mt Pocono and worked at a near by lodge. Is the train still running? (Would like to take the ride-my wife passed after 52 years) She talked ablout the area and the playhouse. Russ in Delaware

Old 07-17-2007, 11:51 AM

32,639 posts, read 77,936,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russell5810 View Post
Hi
My wife in the early 50s took a train from Scranton, Pa to Mt Pocono and worked at a near by lodge. Is the train still running? (Would like to take the ride-my wife passed after 52 years) She talked ablout the area and the playhouse. Russ in Delaware
Russ, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. It must be a very difficult time for you, and I couldn't even imagine losing a soul mate after 50+ years of a blessed marriage.

With that being said, the Steamtown National Historic Site in Downtown Scranton still runs train excursions to both Moscow and Tobyhanna, which are on the same line as Mt. Pocono. Here is a link to their schedule: http://www.nps.gov/stea/loader.cfm?u...&PageID=125898

Here is a link to Steamtown's web site: Steamtown National Historic Site - Steamtown National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your visit to our area.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:17 PM

Thanks for answering SWB.

Best of luck to you Russ.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:39 PM

21 posts, read 72,626 times
Default To Mollyme about schools

Hi Molly,
I have a boy turning six in Aug., and my husband and I are not in agreement to which we should place him in when we find a house to rent: either in West Country Club(E. Stroud.) or in Brodheadsville. I have seen neither, I am in Europe till the move. OK, I have been home schooling and my 4yr old and he had gone to 1/2 day Montessori here in Belgium for six months. SO, no kindergarden to speak of in the traditional sense. He is a typical boy: he obsorbs things quickly, fast learner, wants to be the best, oldest, biggest, etc. but does have a problem sitting and staying focused(unless it is legos). He knows his sight words and is reading level one books. What do you think, and what is going on in these area schools, I have not had a chance to call any schools yet. ALSO, if I may? Do you know if there are any elementary schools that do independent study? I was home schooling because my husband travels and expects us to stay with him the majority of the time, but I think he would benefit from school if I could take him out without worrying about attendence. THANK YOU!!!
Cara

Old 07-17-2007, 02:51 PM

41 posts, read 222,049 times
Lightbulb Let Me Pick Your Brain!!

Hi Molly,
My fiance, our ten year old daughter, and myself are considering a move to PA. I was hoping that you might be able to suggest a few areas for us to research. I would need to be able to commute to NYC daily as I would hate to leave my job, (is this possible?) My fiance however, will probably look for a new job in or near the area. Is work hard to come by? We definately need good schools and would like to spend no more than about $300,000 on a house with a decent piece of property. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Theresa

Old 07-17-2007, 06:17 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,761,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cljovan View Post
Hi Molly,
I have a boy turning six in Aug., and my husband and I are not in agreement to which we should place him in when we find a house to rent: either in West Country Club(E. Stroud.) or in Brodheadsville. I have seen neither, I am in Europe till the move. OK, I have been home schooling and my 4yr old and he had gone to 1/2 day Montessori here in Belgium for six months. SO, no kindergarden to speak of in the traditional sense. He is a typical boy: he obsorbs things quickly, fast learner, wants to be the best, oldest, biggest, etc. but does have a problem sitting and staying focused(unless it is legos). He knows his sight words and is reading level one books. What do you think, and what is going on in these area schools, I have not had a chance to call any schools yet. ALSO, if I may? Do you know if there are any elementary schools that do independent study? I was home schooling because my husband travels and expects us to stay with him the majority of the time, but I think he would benefit from school if I could take him out without worrying about attendence. THANK YOU!!!
Cara
For Brodheadsville and the Pleasant Valley Schools go to PVbears.org and this has things you can click on to ask questions.
Maybe Molly has the East Stroudsburg link.........
I see with the children in our family that the 5 year olds are writing a bit and reading somewhat. The 6 year olds have written ledgers phonically.......so you can turn page to page and read about their adventures. Quite interesting and great for their ages I think. Hope this helps..........

Old 07-17-2007, 06:41 PM

cljovan-CARA

There is a Montessori school in Tannersville called GROWING CONCERN - I know 4 children that attend and attended there and the parents LOVED IT. Pleasant valley is a great school district. East STroudsburg--hmm, I think there is an expert on here regarding that district ---she'll chime in.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parma127 View Post
Hi Molly,
My fiance, our ten year old daughter, and myself are considering a move to PA. I was hoping that you might be able to suggest a few areas for us to research. I would need to be able to commute to NYC daily as I would hate to leave my job, (is this possible?) My fiance however, will probably look for a new job in or near the area. Is work hard to come by? We definately need good schools and would like to spend no more than about $300,000 on a house with a decent piece of property. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Theresa
A MOM COMMUTER!!! BRAVE BRAVE woman!! Yes it is commutable to NYC expect 2 hours via the bus and driving is also an option but I don't recommend it. You'll definitely find a NICE home for under $300k As for your fiance---what line of work is he in...construction--yeah-he'll find a job. Retail--no problem. I.T. -- HA!! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania