Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:14 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times

Advertisements

It looks like Zales Jewelers and now The Finish Line annouced today that they will be closing as well. Thats two more stores in the Steamtown Mall and the GroundRound closing now. The mall is starting to look like a bunch of Dominos toppling....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
Steamtown Mall should be headed to this site soon: deadmalls DOT com

Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
I'll stand by my own personal recommendation to "open" up the mall to resemble a two-story lifestyle center with an elevated exterior catwalk to access second-story storefronts with ground-level entrances facing Lackawanna Avenue for the front half of the existing mall with the rear half being reserved for office/professional usage (along perhaps with a rail/trolley-themed niche restaurant for tourists). I agree with others too---tear down that overpass!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times
That won't help either. There is still nothing to attract people downtown. The vision of downtown Scranton could have been better if they planned it better, 10-15 years ago. Now, it's a mess and only getting worse. This is the hard, cold reality and saying to be positive and say nice things about it isn't going to help.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:59 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
I happen to like parts of downtown Scranton. I'm not saying it to be nice. I'm saying it because that is how I and my husband + the kids feel. We love going to the mall there and we love going to the Steamtown Museum.

NYR, what WOULD attract you to the downtown?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:51 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I'll stand by my own personal recommendation to "open" up the mall to resemble a two-story lifestyle center with an elevated exterior catwalk to access second-story storefronts with ground-level entrances facing Lackawanna Avenue for the front half of the existing mall with the rear half being reserved for office/professional usage (along perhaps with a rail/trolley-themed niche restaurant for tourists). I agree with others too---tear down that overpass!
Hey, don't steal my ideas lol

Old 08-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I happen to like parts of downtown Scranton. I'm not saying it to be nice. I'm saying it because that is how I and my husband + the kids feel. We love going to the mall there and we love going to the Steamtown Museum.

NYR, what WOULD attract you to the downtown?
Some stores that I would actually shop in. A Barnes and Noble, like we mentioned before. Maybe a cool music store and sporting goods store like Modells in NY. First of all, fix the roads downtown. I hate going there because of that. Some of the streets look like bombed out Beirut.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:39 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
Hey, don't steal my ideas lol
(Gasp!) Would that make me as low as a certain Cruela DeVil-like city councilwoman?!

Old 12-24-2009, 08:46 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,816,671 times
I think the writing is on the wall for the Steamtown Mall....I was there last night and it was pretty much dead, considering it was 2 days before Christmas. It was busier than usual, but that's not saying much.

Although I did get to see the Scranton police and mall security questioning some shady looking characters.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I think the writing is on the wall for the Steamtown Mall....I was there last night and it was pretty much dead, considering it was 2 days before Christmas. It was busier than usual, but that's not saying much.

Although I did get to see the Scranton police and mall security questioning some shady looking characters.
That mall should be torn down and something else put up in it's place. There is really no need for it except for being a hangout for lowlifes and shady ghetto types. It can't bring any real economic dollars the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania