Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:16 PM

24 posts, read 40,399 times

Advertisements

Will be closing this week on a house in Hawley. Can you recommend restaurants? Best grocery store? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 08:19 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,558,059 times
IGA for small shopping. Walmart, if you like it in Honesdale. I prefer Shoprite in Daleville. Then you have Cora's Bistro - very quaint. Falls Port is very nice - a little pricey as is Settler's Inn - both places have great food. I highly recommend the Newfoundland Hotel, which is not far for great burgers, the menu is huge!! Welcome to NEPA!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 08:30 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,009,801 times
I like to shop at Weis in Hamlin and in Honesdale. The Weis in Hamlin that is across from Kundla's, that is...not the Mr.Z's / Weis in the old shopping center down by McDonald's.

IGA is fine for last minute stuff but I find it a bit expensive. It's worth it to go out of my way to Weis.

The Hawley Diner is modest but has great food. Pat's Bar on Main St. is famous for their Pat Burgers. I have only been there a couple times, as I don't care for the bar atmosphere, but the burgers were great.

Fluff's Deli on Main St. gives you gigantic sandwiches - I LOVE their Reubens. We also eat at The Boat House on 507.

My favorite restaurant though, is not in Hawley - it's out of the way in Newfoundland. It's called Napolitano's. Here's a little slideshow I made from a family visit there. It's the best little restaurant in Wayne County, if you ask me.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,558,059 times
I always passed Naps but never went in.........but with the slideshow, I must try it out. Went to Ehradrdts the other day and they did not seat anyone for over 10 mintues. I hear the Hawley Diner has the best belgium waffles in the area. Thanks for the tip on Fluffs.........

Old 08-03-2009, 08:56 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,009,801 times
You will be hooked. The delicious aroma of Italian herbs and garlic that greets you when you step inside will make you float on air!!! My husband first took me there on a "date" either just before we were married, or just after - it was quite a while ago. Then we kind of forgot about it while we were too poor to eat out very much and were stuck with the Dollar Menu at McDonald's. LOL

We rediscovered it a few months ago and now it's the only pizza in NEPA that I truly enjoy. It's very small inside, weekends can be busy. You can call ahead and get pizza to go.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 PM

366 posts, read 1,036,996 times
Karen,

Cute slide show! I will have to try it once I'm living up there. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:53 AM

106,729 posts, read 108,937,910 times
fallsport inn, settlers inn and waffles at the hawley dinner are all great...

off the beaten path on 507 is aj's sports bar for awesome hamburgers and on rte 390 rumours has fine dinning..

gresham is excellent and ehrhardts is good too

quite frankley we moved to tanglwood north because of the great food in the area

best fried chicken and bait is right on route 6 and 590... nothing more appetizing then the bait... seriously awesome fried chicken and potato wedges

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-04-2009 at 03:18 AM..

Old 08-04-2009, 04:28 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,808,494 times
Try the Boathouse also. that food is good.

d

Old 08-04-2009, 06:00 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,747 times
torte knox is one of the best restaurants in ne pa...right on the main street in hawley...very limited seating for dinner, which I think is only Friday and Saturday night....great brunch on sunday mornings. unsurpassed quality, really. very expensive but reasonable for value.

i also agree with many other posts--good food at the boathouse; settler's inn is almost always really good (lots of locally grown/raised food available there); two guys is great for pizza in the weis shopping center in white mills (the shopping center across from home depot); my experience at fall's port inn was that it's not worth the time or money, but i only tried it once.

treat yourself to the long drive up 191n to hancock ny and try the bluestone grill, just opened in a renovated farmhouse on main street. lovely bakery on premises. i had brunch there this past weekend and it was wonderful. dinner looks even better.

I just learned that the settler's inn people will be opening a new cafe/catering place in the small stone building that is in the "parking lot" for the old castle antiques building. That little stone building without windows used to be the cocoon hut when the castle was a silk mill, so the cafe will be called the cocoon cafe. i'm excited about it!

Old 08-04-2009, 06:02 AM

910 posts, read 2,994,052 times
We like the Boathouse and Settler's. Fluff's has good fries!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania