Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:02 PM

120 posts, read 226,342 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried out the new coal fired pizza place near Target in Dickson City?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:36 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,188,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofhs93 View Post
Has anyone tried out the new coal fired pizza place near Target in Dickson City?
Is the soot from the coal considered a topping?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:06 PM

Typical New York (and especially Long Island) attitude. They believe that ALL thing revolve around them...and LI is the best place on the planet for everything. My wife is from there...I have dealt with it. The owner probably submitted this garbage himself after the atricle in the Times.

"Wide-eyed reporter??" comon man...get real..

"Tiny town of Dickson City?" DC has more shopping options in a centralized location than MANY places in LI. LI is mostly full of small strip malls strung out along 4 lane roads...and it takes 20-30 minutes to get from one to the other even if it's only 5 miles, thanks to the traffic.

"Walked in like it's a shrine???" Are you serious??? Is their pizza good? Yes...most of the time it is...I have had a couple pies that were on the underdone side though. I have not one time walked into the one in Clarks Summit and seen the place really busy. They do a decent amount of take-out business...but their problem is that they have imported their Long Island pricing along with their pizza. Not a lot of people are willing to shell out $16-20 for a pizza.

"We've got it down to a science." That sort of thing may not sound so amazing in Nassau County. But it carries real weight in huge swaths of America." You have to be kidding right???? There are numerous pizza places in this area that have been open for more than 40 years. Which I can promise you, is longer than this guy was open in Long Island. So I guess having it down to a science is not such a special thing perhaps?

I'm sorry...but it's this kind of crap that causes local people to have such distain for those moving in from the NY area. I know it's not all of them...but that little article is a nice window on how a lot of NY'ers think. There are PLENTY of other NY style pizza places in the area that have been succesfull over the years, and continue to be so. I would put La Trotteria's pizza ahead of Basillico's personally. There used to be a guy who made pizza in the Sugarmans flea market that had the absolute best Brooklyn style pizza you have ever had...he supposedly opened a place in Montdale.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Is the soot from the coal considered a topping?

You clearly have not read up on Phoebe Snow LVN You need to take a trip down to Steamtown NP and the coal mine tour at McDade Park to learn your local history and why Anthracite was so highly valued.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:51 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,188,508 times
Quote:
You clearly have not read up on Phoebe Snow LVN You need to take a trip down to Steamtown NP and the coal mine tour at McDade Park to learn your local history and why Anthracite was so highly valued.
I was joking. I have seen the Phoebe Snow movie many times in the Steamtown theater, which reminds me, on my last visit to Steamtown it looked like they were going to replace that movie with a couple new ones.

We have been down the mines at McDade, been to the Museum. We even have a membership to Eckley Miners Village. Where on occasion my wife and I have volunteered. Needless to say, we get it. I was just trying to make a joke, hence the winking emoticon.

But, since you seem to be an aficionado of local history. Why is WB called the Diamond City?
We all know that diamonds do not come from coal.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:06 PM

I have always read that it was due to the "Black Diamonds" AKA anthracite coal. As you know...Anthracite shines..unlike bituminous...and of course at the time it was what the entire W-B economy was built on...unlike Scranton...that also had the iron furnaces and rail industry contributing to things at a higher percentage than in W-B.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,850,953 times
Quote:
Typical New York (and especially Long Island) attitude. They believe that ALL thing revolve around them...and LI is the best place on the planet for everything. My wife is from there...I have dealt with it. The owner probably submitted this garbage himself after the atricle in the Times.

"Tiny town of Dickson City?" DC has more shopping options in a centralized location than MANY places in LI. LI is mostly full of small strip malls strung out along 4 lane roads...and it takes 20-30 minutes to get from one to the other even if it's only 5 miles, thanks to the traffic.

"Walked in like it's a shrine???" Are you serious??? Is their pizza good? Yes...most of the time it is...I have had a couple pies that were on the underdone side though. I have not one time walked into the one in Clarks Summit and seen the place really busy. They do a decent amount of take-out business...but their problem is that they have imported their Long Island pricing along with their pizza. Not a lot of people are willing to shell out $16-20 for a pizza.

"We've got it down to a science." That sort of thing may not sound so amazing in Nassau County. But it carries real weight in huge swaths of America." You have to be kidding right???? There are numerous pizza places in this area that have been open for more than 40 years. Which I can promise you, is longer than this guy was open in Long Island. So I guess having it down to a science is not such a special thing perhaps?

I'm sorry...but it's this kind of crap that causes local people to have such distain for those moving in from the NY area. I know it's not all of them...but that little article is a nice window on how a lot of NY'ers think. There are PLENTY of other NY style pizza places in the area that have been succesfull over the years, and continue to be so. I would put La Trotteria's pizza ahead of Basillico's personally. There used to be a guy who made pizza in the Sugarmans flea market that had the absolute best Brooklyn style pizza you have ever had...he supposedly opened a place in Montdale.
I couldn't give you rep points because I have to spread it around, but this post deserves some

Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 PM

55 posts, read 123,058 times
Nardozzi's in dumore is the best thin crust pizza, period!......

Old 04-06-2011, 03:52 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,671,470 times
Quote:

You mean the world doesn't revolve around the NY metro area? Certainly is better than NEPA anyday!!!!!

Old 04-06-2011, 05:31 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,928,824 times
Quote:
I never understood the idea of comparing NEPA / Central PA to NY. We get it all the time in Harrisburg over our downtown area. Sure, NY is great. I head out there every chance I get. But comparing it to any given region around here is comparing apples to oranges.

Most of the people down here complain about how any given aspect of the region is vastly inferior to what one would find in NY. "You think downtown Harrisburg is great? Pfft -- why don't you try living in the LES. You think Palumbo's Pizza is great? Pfft -- you should hit any given corner pizza shop on the UWS. You think Appalachian Brewing Company gets decent live acts? Pfft -- you obviously don't spend much time in Brooklyn. You think this area has culture? Pfft -- NY blows it away any day."

To which my response is always: "If you hate this region so much, why are you still here?"

That always shuts people up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania