Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 01:49 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,641,462 times

Advertisements

You may also want to check out Nay Aug Park. You'll find some more rail history in the Pioneer, a passenger coach still surviving from NEPA's long gone 'gravity railroad' days.

You'll also find the Everhart museum (small but nice), some light hiking, and the David Wenzel tree house

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 02:03 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
some light hiking
If you're referring to the Davis Trail as "light hiking," that's incorrect....you need to be Indiana Jones to traverse the eroded rut-filled million-dollar Davis Trail.

Some pics of this poorly-done expensive photo op for the mayor:
Davis Trail, at the Bottom of the Trail near the Overlook Decks

Old 05-28-2009, 02:05 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,818,241 times
For some good hiking in the area, I'd suggest the Falls Trail at Ricketts Glen State Park.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
For some good hiking in the area, I'd suggest the Falls Trail at Ricketts Glen State Park.
Second.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
It's very beautiful, but it's NOT a comfortable flip-flop hike. It's rocky, somewhat slippery even in high summer, and often crowded. But a must-see!

Old 05-28-2009, 04:07 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,138 times
The Lackawanna Historical Society has walking tours of the downtown historic buildings every Saturday (I believe at noon) and the Cultural Center gives a tour every Saturday at 1 p.m.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:01 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,324 times
Ok second question......I do plan on going to glen state park, visiting the railroad muesums, dining at listed areas on 'visit scranton website' and doing some downtown window shopping and residential walking. My only concern is that once i'm in scranton/wilkes-barre I don't want to be driving a whole lot to visit these great attractions you guys recommended. How can I stay as local as possible while still expirencing the varied ventures that the area offers.
Any more info would be great:-)

Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 PM

947 posts, read 1,643,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
Ok second question......I do plan on going to glen state park, visiting the railroad muesums, dining at listed areas on 'visit scranton website' and doing some downtown window shopping and residential walking. My only concern is that once i'm in scranton/wilkes-barre I don't want to be driving a whole lot to visit these great attractions you guys recommended. How can I stay as local as possible while still expirencing the varied ventures that the area offers.
Any more info would be great:-)

If you stay at the Radisson in downtown Scranton you will be able to window shop, dine, visit Steamtown, the trolley museum and it is within walking distance to the historic homes tour in the hill section and Nay Aug Park. Rickett's Glen is a drive no matter where you are.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:39 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,324 times
Thanks

Old 05-29-2009, 10:27 AM

407 posts, read 966,702 times
Nice website! As someone thinking of moving to the area, I found it very helpful...in fact it well help me with my next trip soon to the area. One suggestion...all your text i hard to read over some of the darker areas of the backround photos...it looks good but is hard to read. My suggestion would be to simply lighten the photos, you can probably set them for 50% opacity or something like that. Again..helpful site...thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Electric-City View Post
The drive from Newark to Scranton/W-B is about 2 - 3 hours depending on traffic. Scranton is home to the Steamtown national Historic Site where you can get close up with old locomotives or even take a ride on an excursion. There is also the Electric City Trolley Museum if you are interested in trolleys. Visit the link below for more information.

My Scranton - Your guide to Scranton PA
Scranton Guide

Visit the Top 10 section under attractions.

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania