Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 09:33 PM

28 posts, read 50,660 times

Advertisements

Are there as many problems with crime, illegals, and undesirables moving in as I hear? Because I live in Wilkes-Barre and it does not seem as bad as some people on here make it out to be. I don't see the gang wars that some of my neighbors have warned me about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,089,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cchandler View Post
Are there as many problems with crime, illegals, and undesirables moving in as I hear? Because I live in Wilkes-Barre and it does not seem as bad as some people on here make it out to be. I don't see the gang wars that some of my neighbors have warned me about.
it is not as bad as larger cities,but it does have CORRECTABLE problems---that won't be addressed cause of the need to line one's pockets with monies that should go to community issues imo

Old 07-01-2012, 06:06 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,900,271 times
A minor urbanization that will continue unabated until it starts to take on a more Hazelton feel. Is this good or bad? You be the judge, I don't plan to. There will be many trolls that lurk here on this board that will now pounce on their chance to bash.

Sad in their dens, looking for any and every opportunity to spread their vitriol. It is them that are far more dangerous than a few harmless immigrants looking to better themselves for their family because they care.

All jokes aside, there are some bad elements coming in with the good but I don't think we are at any kind of danger level of the area becoming inherently unsafe. For now I will just keep a watchful eye but I don't outwardly see anything to be concerned by.

Just a natural progression of urbanization brought on by city sprawl from the larger metropolis around us.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
it is not as bad as larger cities,but it does have CORRECTABLE problems---that won't be addressed cause of the need to line one's pockets with monies that should go to community issues imo
Many residents of the city are taking a proactive approach to these problems.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 PM

8 posts, read 21,666 times
The reputation of Wilkes-Barre is overstated. Blind Fear.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloverpa View Post
The reputation of Wilkes-Barre is overstated. Blind Fear.
Absolutely.

I have fallen into that myself. But once you get the facts, you see most of it is indeed blind fear.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:17 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,216,690 times
Back in the 1970s, the major industries were Welfare, Medicine, and Banking.
Has much changed?

Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 AM

This is all I could find:

https://www.city-data.com/business/ec...nsylvania.html

Old 07-02-2012, 08:04 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,187,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Back in the 1970s, the major industries were Welfare, Medicine, and Banking.
Has much changed?
The major industries in the Wyoming Valley in the 1970s were garment manufacturing (ladies dresses, pants, etc.- literally hundreds of small operations), shoe manufacturing (Rex Industries, Carter Rubber), semiconductors (RCA Crestwood), toy manufacturing, cigars (General Cigar, American Cigar), wire products and metal stamping (Diamond Mfg., Metropolitan Industries. Kingston Metal Specialties), textiles (Atwater Throwing, The Duplan, Native Textiles), heavy machined products ( Vulcan Iron Works, Royer Foundry Products), aerospace and defense products (Kannar Corp.) pencils (Eberhard Faber), Perfumes (Dana Corp.) and of course commerce and services. Anyone with a long memory, please add to this list.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 AM

207 posts, read 284,811 times
Crime is present in both areas, but it's really not that bad at all. Some people tend to over-emphasize on that for whatever reason. I can compare other cities of the same size or smaller with more crime but I won't do that.

Illegals? I'm sure there are a quite a few roaming about somewhere in both cities. Hell, I'm sure there are a couple living somewhere like Honesdale as well. They're everywhere at this point, but I think the majority of the Spanish community are legal and are looking to make a better life for their families.

Gangs present? I guess? To me it just seems like a handful of wanna-be's and the rest are unorganized stragglers who couldn't hack it in a bigger city. Last time I heard about a "large" gang was a group of white kids wearing clown makeup (juggalos) and jumping random people, but this was back in 2005/2006 I think and was short lived. Other than that, I brush the gang talk over my shoulder. Putting my head in the sand? Nope, just that I live in what would maybe(?) be considered a high gang area, and I haven't seen anything like it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania