Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:34 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,647,841 times

Advertisements

Criminal investigation into GWC, or just smoke and mirrors?

Records law needs work Agency lawyers navigate around public disclosure | Editorial | thetimes-tribune.com - The Times-Tribune (http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/articles/2009/05/08/editorial/sc_times_trib.20090508.a.pg12.tt08edit1_s1.2507025 _edi.txt - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 07:20 PM

325 posts, read 807,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
I don't know if anyone else has seen it, but a quick check of the GWC website reveals a 'farewell' letter. In closing, they state:

I wonder if by 'taken care of,' they mean that 187k of city funding and private donations goes a long way...

No one knows what happens to funds raised by a non-profit when the non-profit folds? Did Miller's decision to place the animals in local homes, as opposed to accredited sanctuaries, have something to do with this money? Would she have had to distribute it to these other facilities? Has it been confirmed that her sanctuary licence has been surrendered?
Thanks for posting this--I hadn't seen this rather strange farewell letter, which, by the way, gives no specifics whatsoever on the animals' current whereabouts or care.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Criminal investigation into GWC, or just smoke and mirrors?

Records law needs work Agency lawyers navigate around public disclosure | Editorial | thetimes-tribune.com - The Times-Tribune (http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/articles/2009/05/08/editorial/sc_times_trib.20090508.a.pg12.tt08edit1_s1.2507025 _edi.txt - broken link)

I don't know whether there will be any further investigation into the GWC's animal care and/or financial situation. I would still like to know what the explanation is for the discrepancy between the Form 990's and what the public was told about the GWC's finances, but I don't know if we will ever learn more about that.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:00 AM

Is the 990 for 2008 posted yet?

Old 05-10-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Is the 990 for 2008 posted yet?
No. They usually don't file until November, so it will probably be quite a while yet.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:09 PM

I don't know if this helps:

Quote:
Article VII
IRC 501(c)(3) Tax Exemption Provisions
Section 1. Limitation on Activities. No substantial part of the activities of this corporation shall be the carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and this corporation shall not participate in, or intervene in, any political campaign on behalf of, or in opposition to, any candidate for public office.
Notwithstanding any other provisions of these Bylaws, this corporation shall not carry on any activities not permitted to be carried on (a) by a corporation exempt from federal income tax under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or (b) by a corporation, contributions to which are deductible under Section 170(c)(2) of the Internal Revenue Code.

Section 2. Prohibition Against Private Inurement. No part of the net earnings of this corporation shall inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to, its members, directors or trustees, officers, or other private persons, except that the corporation shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purposes of this corporation.

Section 3. Distribution of Assets. Upon the dissolution of this corporation, its assets remaining after payment, or provision for payment, of all debts and liabilities of this corporation shall be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government, for a public purpose. Such distribution shall be made in accordance with all applicable provisions of the laws of this state.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I don't know if this helps:
I'm not sure, but it seems to me that Section 3 would apply in this case. As I've said before, I think there should be an audit, in part to determine if there is a surplus. And then if there is a surplus, the laws governing that surplus should be followed. After all, the money was donated by individuals or provided by the city for the animals. If the money can no longer be used to help the animals, it should go to some worthy public purpose.

I would think that people on both sides of the issue--those who thought the Genesis Wildlife Center should stay open and those who believed it should close--would want to clear up any confusion regarding the finances.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:50 PM

I would think the city would do all in it's power to claim it's 187k! At the very least, it would make a nice gift for the Nay Aug conservancy. Scranton Times? Hello?

Old 05-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Shhh.... Word is that Miller has not turned in her licence and is trying
to regroup some of her animals.

More as I find out what's going on....

Old 05-24-2009, 08:21 AM

Brain washed volunteers still drumming for support -
Letters to the Editor - 5/24/2009 - Letters - The Times-Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania