Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,674,126 times

Advertisements

Well here we are still in March and thus far I can recall the following violent crime incidents:
  • 3/28: A man involved in a massive brawl outside of Schiel's Market in South Wilkes-Barre dies from his injuries, becoming yet another homicide victim in what is becoming a very bloody year for Wilkes-Barre. This is at least the fifth murder so far in 2009 in Luzerne County, and it's only March. At this rate we're looking at 20 or more murders by the close of the year, which while probably not significant for a population of 300,000 is still much higher than to what we've been accustomed in prior years.
  • 3/27: Two students from my King's College community were violently attacked in the ghetto neighborhood near the St. Vincent dePaul Soup Kitchen while walking down the street. One was stabbed from behind and another was beaten in what may have been a "random" incident. As a King's student I am IMPLORING Mayor Leighton to just bulldoze that entire ghetto trash area around the soup kitchen already! I, too, had to outrun a nitwit there on one occasion en route to campus merely because I said "good morning" to him the wrong way as I passed him on the sidewalk, where he lay passed out drunk. Too bad I didn't have a permit to carry a concealed weapon!
  • 3/22: A man from New York City is murdered in the parking lot of a popular night club in suburban Wilkes-Barre.
  • 3/21: A young mother from Exeter is pronounced dead when her neighbors discover her body on the front lawn of her low-income housing project. Her death has been ruled a homicide; she had blunt-force trauma to her head.
  • 3/5: A man from the Back Mountain gunned down his brother and then turned the gun on himself in a murder-suicide that erupted over a dispute over property boundaries (of course this was kept hush-hush so that the over-inflated Back Mountain housing prices don't come crashing down over news of two murders out there in as many years).
  • 2/3: A man from Wilkes-Barre is found dead inside of his apartment along North Main Street. His death is ruled a homicide. His death is the first murder of 2009 in Luzerne County after a promisingly quiet January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 11:24 PM

905 posts, read 2,402,686 times
Yeah it's been pretty crazy this year so far. It really makes me need to get away from here. I go to Schiel's if I'm already home because it's only a couple blocks away, but usually i go to Wegmans. I am not sure about other days, but whenever I go to Schiel's on Sundays in the later hours, they have a cop who is there.

I know they can't have a cop there all the time, as people we shouldn't live in fear but if two groups are going to fight...they will find somewhere. It just happened to be that parking lot. I have seen plenty in the parks near my house to know it has gone on for many years. It's just a shame that someone died from this incident, as it should not have gone to that.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:04 AM

As an update a partially decomposed body was found in a creek in South Wilkes-Barre yesterday, and now another man was just stabbed near a donut shop in the city. What is going on lately?!! It seems as if our area's crime is cyclical. 2008 was a very violent year for Scranton/Lackawanna County after 2007 was a very violent year for Wilkes-Barre/Luzerne County. Now in 2009 it has flip-flopped again with Scranton/Lackawanna County being fairly tranquil.

Old 03-29-2009, 08:50 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,279,585 times
It has been strangely violent March. I hope this isn't an indicator of what is to come for the rest of the year. WNEP just reported that the homicide at Schiel's Market was the third homicide in Luzerne County this week!. I wouldn't be surprised if Luzerne County is keeping pace with Philly so far this year. It is a shame, people have no regard for life anymore, they settle thier disputes like animals. As far as that bad neighborhood by the soup kitchen... I agree 100%. I wish they would bulldoze that whole area and build new townhouse's for the college kids in that neighborhood, and patrol the area. I think that would transform that entire area, but just like anything else, it's a money issue. Someone would have to pay for it.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:01 PM

Good Lord! I just tuned into the 11 PM WNEP news cast to hear about yet ANOTHER violent shooting in Wilkes-Barre. This comes on the heels of hearing about a standoff inside of Beech Mountain Lakes, a gated community between Mountain Top and Hazleton, and a possibly RANDOM stabbing behind a donut shop in Wilkes-Barre.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:30 PM

It sounds like this is now officially the FOURTH homicide this week now in the immediate Wilkes-Barre vicinity! What is going on in this area? Judging by some of the "element" that saunters into my workplace from Edwardsville I wouldn't be surprised if MORE murders happen this week as well! So much RANDOM crimes have been occurring too as of late. Should I really start packing heat?

Old 03-30-2009, 08:44 PM

I think you would be safer if you did. Hell, it's your right to protect yourself.

It has been a really violent week in this area...and it's a shame it's all people who didn't live here 10 years ago, even 5 years ago -=\

Old 03-30-2009, 10:00 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,279,585 times
I make sure that I always have my "flak jacket" on before I leave my house. After that, I lock and load my AK-47 assault rifle, before leaving for work in my armored vehicle...You can never be too cautious these days.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:04 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,834,735 times
I'd bet that most of these crimes are drug-related in some way or another. I think its time to step up the war on drugs. Death penalties for drug dealers...dry up the supply. If it wasn't for drugs, this area would be like an episode of "Leave it to Beaver."

Old 03-31-2009, 06:44 PM

OR...if drugs were legal, we wouldn't have this crime over illegal things going on. The gov't should worry about other things than what someone does in their own house, and they could tax and monitor them. Legal drugs would get rid of the dealers and the senseless killing that goes with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania