Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2008, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 11,134 times

Advertisements

I am a soon-to-be college grad who just got a job offer from Boyds Mills Press in Honesdale, PA. I'm from the Pittburgh area. Can anyone tell me what Honesdale and the surrounding areas are REALLY like? Anything for people my age to do? What kind of housing/apartments are available? Any advice would be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 01:31 PM

703 posts, read 1,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator17 View Post
I am a soon-to-be college grad who just got a job offer from Boyds Mills Press in Honesdale, PA. I'm from the Pittburgh area. Can anyone tell me what Honesdale and the surrounding areas are REALLY like? Anything for people my age to do? What kind of housing/apartments are available? Any advice would be much appreciated
ScranBarre can tell you anything you want to know.

But in my own experience, it's a pretty rural area. You're about 30-40 minutes from either the Mall at Steamtown or the Viewmont Mall, just to give you a rough estimate of your proximity to the downtown or retail areas.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:41 PM

620 posts, read 2,061,304 times
I live just north of Honesdale...I am only a few years older than you...and I also work in publishing. Honesdale is a really nice town. I moved here from NYC. I still telecommute to my company there. I grew up in NEPA so my move was a little different though.

Honesdale is like Mayberry...very small town...there is none of the blight that you typically associate with small PA towns though. The homes are all very pretty and the downtown is thriving with a lot busy stores and a few cafes.

It is not a place to move if you like a more urban life, or even if you just like to shop a lot. It is about as slow a pace as you can find. I live about 10 minutes outside of town, and I am surrounded by a 700 acre farm. It gets rural very fast when you drive out of town. Scranton is about a 40 minute drive, that's where you would go if you like big box stores and the mall.

But, to me, the whole atmosphere of Honesdale is anti the mall and big box stores, although there is a Wal Mart and Home Depot here. It is about supporting the local shops and buying food from farm stands. Nightlife is pretty much non-existent, but there are a lot of artists who have relocated here, who put on interesting events. We have a very big yoga community because of the Himalayan Institute.

Highlights Magazine is also headquartered here, so if you are into the children's publishing world, you will be right at home on that front. Feel free to send me a message if you want to talk more.
Peace
M

Old 05-01-2008, 02:18 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,677,227 times
Don't forget about the Wayne County fair that runs just north of Honesdale every first week of August.

Old 05-02-2008, 05:05 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,139,355 times
Welcome to Historic Honesdale

Pocono Relocation Guide click on Wayne County

Old 05-07-2008, 04:31 AM

11 posts, read 50,376 times
I just visited Honesdale and my impression was that people are friendly and down to earth. There are a few interesting little shops and eateries downtown and a nice looking park.

Old 05-08-2008, 12:14 AM

128 posts, read 356,818 times
Honesdale is a lovely town, and you're far enough north there that you miss most of the problems plaguing the Poconos proper (i.e., crime, traffic, sprawl). The big box stores are technically located in a surrounding jurisdiction, not in the city proper, so it's evident they are concerned with supporting the local economy. There really aren't any clubs in the area though, which is unfortunate if that's your thing, but as Mike pointed out there are a lot of other activities that compensate. And if you want clubs and such, you can just head over to Scranton, or heck just do a weekend in NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania