Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:36 PM

284 posts, read 985,941 times

Advertisements

i've searching for a place to move in the past 2 years , my choices are Shallote ,NC , Spring Hill ,FLA Honesdale PA. i'm a general contractor and my wife a R/N so finding work shouldn't be a problem . i have 2 boys ( 9 mos. and 2 1/2 yrs ) so schooling is very important in the near future. i have been coming to The Hideout , Lake Ariel for the past 13 yrs and know something about the Pocono section . some of my questions are about the schools , weather (compared to LI ,NY) taxes , crime rates , wildlife issues (bear , deer ) any general info about this town would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 09:53 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Honesdale is part of the Wayne Highlands School District. From what I can tell, it is an "average" school district, paling in comparison to the "ivy league" high schools in Abington Heights or North Pocono, yet far exceeding most urban schools such as Scranton, Dunmore, and Carbondale Area. While Western Wayne, the neighboring school district in the Lake Ariel/South Canaan area, now has a few state police troopers roaming the hallways in an effort to quell racial tensions that have sprung up in the past year, Wayne Highlands remains a solid, secure school district.

The town itself is quaint, Victorian, and charming, albeit a little "dull." I've been through town several times, and there's a nostalgic Main Street lined with specialty shops, gift shops, cafes, etc., along with the Stourbridge Train Excursion. The town itself, in an attempt to retain its small-town charm, is very "anti-sprawl" in attitude, so housing developments and chain stores are minimal here, (With the exception of a Home Depot, and I'm pretty sure also a Wal-Mart).

The town is located about fifteen minutes away from Carbondale via Route 6, and about a half-hour to forty minutes from Scranton, also via Route 6. It's in Scranton that you'll find your modern conveniences such as Starbucks, Target, Best Buy, Lowe's, Sam's Club, Bennigan's, theaters, concert venues, a Philharmonic orchestra, minor-league sports, malls, etc.

Overall, Wayne County is like taking a step back in time. Monroe County, just to the south, is becoming overrun with "PA to NYC" commuters, and traffic and sprawl issues are arising in this area. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre have traditionally been the region's "urban center", so life here is also more "rushed" as well. Then you have Wayne County, unscarred as of yet by "progress." The quality-of-life here is stellar, but you'll trade that for a lengthy drive to the malls, theaters, clubs, etc.

As far as the outdoors is concerned, Honesdale isn't far at all from skiing at Elk Mountain, mountain biking and hiking in state forests and state parks, boating and fishing in Lake Wallenpaupack, and deer, chipmunks, and other random critters are a common occurrence (My drive out there last week netted me THREE doe sightings!) Naturally, wildlife viewing will be easier the further you go from Downtown Honesdale.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask! ;o)

Old 09-06-2006, 11:15 AM

84 posts, read 317,820 times
I live about 15 minutes drive from Honesdale. What ScrantonWilkesBarre said is true. Just be aware that crime is going up in this area just as it is in all of parts of northeastern Pa. Drugs are becoming a problem......I was on a jury about a year ago for a case that concerned drugs. I don't think it as as bad as other places I have read mentioned on this forum however. Prices of homes and taxes are going up as the influx of people continues from NJ and NY. There are no developments here. Only a new house popping up here and there. I have seen property purchased and subdivided with the intent of building houses and then years later it gets sold off again with not even one house built on it. Besides the small shops in Honesdale, you do have a Home Depot, a Walmart, KMart, supermarkets, a few fast food chains and a movie theater in the minimall. But in the winter months, unless you are a hunter or into snowmobiling well the area is mostly dead. In the summer it gets crowded with the seasonal people and the campers. There are about 40 children's summer camps in our county and on parent's weekends the line of cars coming in from NY and NJ and other surrounding states is unreal. Of course at the end of that weekend they all try and leave at the same time too. You mentioned the bears and deer. We have those plus bobcats, coyotes, and all the small animals you find in the woods. If you don't feed them they don't bother you. If you do feed them then you should not complain when they come and eat your shrubs and trees in winter. They are just returning to to where they know the pickings are good. We are retired, so I cannot tell you how good the schools are. But I can tell you that it appears all or almost all students ride the school buses and that schools are closed quite frequently for snow or ice. There is lots of drifting on the back roads and although they may plow, the wind will cover some of the roads right back up within an hour. So if you don't like bucking the weather, you may have a problem going to work out here. If you have any other questions about the Honesdale area feel free to PM me.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:17 PM

thanks alot for the info , i guess that most of the surrounding areas are the same . what towns are recommendable that would be fairly close to a foodstore ,schools, gas station without driving 20-30 min

Old 09-06-2006, 08:13 PM

125 posts, read 505,211 times
WOW!!! What a big differance Honesdale to Springhil fl. I have lived in Fla most of my life. Right by Springhill and visited Honesdale lookinig at homes. You could not compare the two. Fla. you have year round sports where in Penn you have the seasons. The homes are compareable. It depends on what exactly you looking for. I can give you info if needed. I visit PA yearly. Yes there are RN jobs every where depends on the pay you are wanting. The schools I must say are decent in both areas. It really depends on your life style. We went up to look at homes in Honesdale over the summer. Some areas where very busy with shopping and other things more laid back. Down here in Fla we are laid back but have everything at our fingertips. You can PM me if need. I have family in the medical field in both states I may be able to help.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:16 PM

125 posts, read 505,211 times
OH and being a general Contractor. I can give you info on that also. For Fla anyways my husband is in that business in Hudson.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:42 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,657,411 times
Wow, we're actually thinking about buying a getway place up in the Hideout ( we're in SW Fla ) and are looking to rent a house there starting in mid Nov ( yes Nov ) for a couple months ( no we're not crazy ). Adams cable is available there and as long as we have a net connection we can maintain our business. I spoke to a remax realtor the other day to help us find a house for rent and I will also put an ad in the local paper if necessary.

I was told that the real estate market there was starting to implode just like in most places and we are potentially looking to buy into that implosion if it becomes as bad as we hear.

We want to stay in those 2 months of winter as I want to make sure my Wife can deal with that. We were originally looking to sell our house in Fla and buy a house in N Carolina but frankly after spending quite a bit of time and money going back and forth to Carolina from Asheville down to Hendersonville, to Tryon we started to get cold on the place. Then real estate in Fla died and we decided to keep our house here ( it really is great in Fla, especially SW Fla ) but have a burning desire to see trees, wildlife AND be within at least a couple hours of NYC.

So.........that's what's in todays plans.

Why spring hill Fla if you don't mind me asking? Have you seen the west coast of Fla down where we are? ( we're between Sarasota and North Ft Myers)

Old 09-24-2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo View Post
Wow, we're actually thinking about buying a getway place up in the Hideout ( we're in SW Fla ) and are looking to rent a house there starting in mid Nov ( yes Nov ) for a couple months ( no we're not crazy ). Adams cable is available there and as long as we have a net connection we can maintain our business. I spoke to a remax realtor the other day to help us find a house for rent and I will also put an ad in the local paper if necessary.

I was told that the real estate market there was starting to implode just like in most places and we are potentially looking to buy into that implosion if it becomes as bad as we hear.

We want to stay in those 2 months of winter as I want to make sure my Wife can deal with that. We were originally looking to sell our house in Fla and buy a house in N Carolina but frankly after spending quite a bit of time and money going back and forth to Carolina from Asheville down to Hendersonville, to Tryon we started to get cold on the place. Then real estate in Fla died and we decided to keep our house here ( it really is great in Fla, especially SW Fla ) but have a burning desire to see trees, wildlife AND be within at least a couple hours of NYC.

So.........that's what's in todays plans.

Why spring hill Fla if you don't mind me asking? Have you seen the west coast of Fla down where we are? ( we're between Sarasota and North Ft Myers)

my inlaws might be selling there house next year , there 2 minutes to the golf , pub area

Old 09-25-2006, 05:35 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,573,472 times
I love the town of Honesdale! They are even going to build a Lowes right down the road from the Home Depot. The do have a Walmart that is being redmodeled also. There is a nice Chinese Buffet also LOL...
A movie theater, Pizza Hut, Burger King and various other stores. The town itself is very pretty with alot of Victorian-style homes. We are looking on the outskirts of town, Oregon Township up to Uniondale. We are also going to look at Tunkannock, which by the way, sounds wonderful
Thanks Paul

Old 09-25-2006, 09:16 PM

84 posts, read 317,820 times
Bamboosmom, I was wondering where you got your info about a Lowes coming to Honesdale? I've heard or read nothing about that and I shop in Honesdale as it is the closest town. They finished remodeling Walmart this summer and now I can't find anything. Someone told me they changed it so all the Walmart's would have the same floor plan. I personally do not like seeing all the big chain stores move into our area. We moved out here years ago to get away from all that. To me it is the city following us out here. That is just my personal opinion, of course. I was happy driving to Dickson City to shop in the big stores. Everything you need is there including Home Depot, Lowes, and many other stores. I don't need them right around the corner from me.....I moved to a rural area and would like to see it stay that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania