Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 01:29 PM

26 posts, read 30,580 times

Advertisements

I recently got a job in Dickson city and was looking to relocate from Tobyhanna. I'm 32 single with no kids and I've been to Scranton a number of times but don't really know the better parts to live. Since it's just me and I don't have a lot of stuff, i would be fine with a studio or a small one bedroom. I prefer the suburbs as opposed to being right in the middle of the city/strip. I'm open to areas outside of what I mentioned as long as its not too long of a commute from my workplace.

Thank you for any and all input and let me know if you need anymore information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 08:03 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
First thing to note is that if you live in Scranton city, you will be subject to Scranton's 3.4% wage tax. Most of the other municipalities collect a 1% wage tax.

Dickson City, Olyphant, Throop, or Dunmore- They're not the most progressive or prettiest areas, but apartment rents are reasonable.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
First thing to note is that if you live in Scranton city, you will be subject to Scranton's 3.4% wage tax. Most of the other municipalities collect a 1% wage tax.

Dickson City, Olyphant, Throop, or Dunmore- They're not the most progressive or prettiest areas, but apartment rents are reasonable.
ah yes, it makes sense now why there are so many vacancies in scranton compared to other areas. well that certainly makes my decision easier, is there any income tax for the surrounding areas?

Old 09-15-2019, 09:08 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegovernor View Post
ah yes, it makes sense now why there are so many vacancies in scranton compared to other areas. well that certainly makes my decision easier, is there any income tax for the surrounding areas?
It's a local tax on wages. Localities can't tax interest, dividends or capital gains. Every municipality and school district in Pa collects a wage tax. Most wage taxes total 1%. If you have worked in PA, you would have noted that the local wage tax is deducted from your pay check.

The state of PA collects an income tax on all classes of income at flat rate of 3.07%.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:59 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,350,127 times
If you are going to stay in Scranton city, I would look towards the west side bordering Dunmore, Throop, Marywood University. Fairly quiet and safe from the times I visited those parts of Scranton.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:16 AM

8,073 posts, read 7,436,873 times
I'll second the suggestion for the Marywood U area. Our youngest is a senior there and lives off campus. It's called the Green Ridge section and it's very suburban and quiet there.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:57 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
If you are going to stay in Scranton city, I would look towards the west side bordering Dunmore, Throop, Marywood University. Fairly quiet and safe from the times I visited those parts of Scranton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I'll second the suggestion for the Marywood U area. Our youngest is a senior there and lives off campus. It's called the Green Ridge section and it's very suburban and quiet there.
But the OP would still be paying the 3.4% wage tax. Since the surrounding towns are collecting less than half that figure, it would make sense to look outside of the city.

I lived in Green Ridge for eight years and I agree it is pretty quiet compared to other areas but when we arrived, we had very little choice as to where we landed.

When it's a step over the border and you're in Dunmore, makes sense to look around. Throop (pronounced Troop) or Olyphant are also hard by Dickson City.

Good luck in your new job.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:19 AM

does anyone know how the wage tax would work if you live in scranton temporarily? i was thinking of just renting a room for a a couple months time till i find something i really want in dunmore, olyphant etc

Old 09-23-2019, 04:30 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,350,127 times
If you live in Scranton, you are stuck with that 3.4% wage tax. I would think your employer would automatically deduct that from your wages.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:53 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
If I were to move to Lackawanna County I'd seriously consider Dunmore. It has a "small town" feel while still being wedged between Dickson City (shopping mecca and your workplace) and Scranton (largest city in the region). Dunmore is safe. Dunmore doesn't have the higher city wage tax you pay in Scranton. Dunmore is home to the 81/380/84 interchange, too, for easy day-trips to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania