Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 12:00 PM

7 posts, read 6,448 times

Advertisements

Hello all. We are looking to find a new place to move to within an hour from where my husband works. He is currently working at Tobyhanna Army Depot and live in Pittston. We're a family of four and my youngest is 12. I'd like to get some input on good schools and also a family-oriented place to live - BUT NOT BORING. lol. I'm from New Orleans and living in Pittston gave me quite a culture shock. I'd appreciate some thoughts. Thank you....

-Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 02:33 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,187,626 times
Whatever you do, eliminate a "Pocono Country Place" from any consideration even though there are lots of rentals available. There is really nothing within 1 hour of Tobyhanna except the Scranton and Stroudsburg areas that would satisfy your requirements and I can't think of anywhere in the northeast that resembles New Orleans.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:16 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Its not many places that the Poconos would be an improvement over, but I guess New Orleans would be one. Still, the Poconos isn't on my list of choice PA places to live. They get more snow than any place in the state other than the lake effect snow belt. Rotten commutes to NJ, expats from NJ that haven't done a thing to improve the area culturally. Just driven up crime and taxes and housing prices. Enjoy.

Old 08-07-2019, 05:24 AM

274 posts, read 327,058 times
Oh my gosh! That's the problem with Tobyhanna! My husband as a military civilian employee has considered jobs there over the years but moving up that way is not an option for me. he thought about commuting from Upper Bucks County!

Your closest vibrant place is Stroudsburg. It's a small older "city" with a university. That will offer some festivals here and there, and a few restaurants. Not sure about schools. We stop there to eat on weekends occasionally. The brew pub in the old bank is decent.

I would actually consider Belvidere NJ, which is 45 minutes away. It's a really nice older small town with a rather upscale population. People with the money commute from there to NYC. It's not cheap and taxes are bad. However, you don't pay any property taxes in NJ if you qualify as a disabled vet. They have a Victorian Days festival in Sept that would allow you to check it out. Open house tours, etc. This year I think it's the 6th-9th?

Jim Thorpe is a great town to visit on weekends also for stuff for the family to do. Again, not sure about schools in this area at all.

For schools I actually think NJ would be better. If you look on the map and go south to Belvidere, then straight across to Morristown, that area is actually rather high end NY suburbs. Lots of really nice parks and towns. You need to drive around on weekends and see these places in person. Good luck!

Old 08-07-2019, 10:20 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,185,396 times
Only town nearby that I can think of is Stroudsburg/East Stroudsburg.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:45 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,766,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBToast View Post

Jim Thorpe is a great town to visit on weekends also for stuff for the family to do. Again, not sure about schools in this area at all.

The Jim Thorpe SD grammar/middle schools perform well below the state average on ELA & Math. JT High School is well above the state average in ELA and Math performance. PA has a online portal called "Future Ready" where you can view each school's performance and how it compares statewide.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:20 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
Actually, West Pittston is within an hour away from Tobyhanna.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:17 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,763 times
Abington Heights schools/area is very good... and there are occasional sparks of life ... but certainly not NO. It does have easy (but not walking) access to shopping and such in Dickson City and Scranton.

When you say "not boring" can you be more specific?

Buy or rent?

Old 08-13-2019, 01:49 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,957,877 times
The OP has been living in this area (West Pittston) for about 12 years.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:15 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Less boring than Pittston/West Pittston yet still within an hour's commute of Tobyhanna? Not happening. I mean Pittston/West Pittston are equidistant to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, the largest and second-largest cities in the region, respectively, which you should already know since you live here, so if the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area is "too boring" you're not going to have any other options, unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania