Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 06:55 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

being new to nepa and avid cyclists im looking to put a little list together of some nice places to ride. should be relatively safe with light traffic(my wifes a big baby) and moderate hilly. that leaves our immeadite area in tafton out. you can pop a vein trying to get off our block its so hilly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 09:59 AM

60 posts, read 158,927 times
I'm also an avid cyclist (ex-racer). I live farther east in Milford and haven't found any bike friendly roads here (yet). In the meantime, I do all my cycling in Sussex County, but that's probably too far from Tafton.

Toon

Old 03-16-2008, 11:20 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Unfortunately NEPA is not a very bicycle-friendly area. Motorists seem to always be in a bloody rush to get home to see American Idol or Sex and the City, so they don't abide by the state law that requires vehicular traffic to share the roadways with bicyclists and pedestrians. Collisions between vehicles and bikes or pedestrians are a common occurrence here. I can tell you as an avid distance runner here in the suburbs that I was hit (albeit gently) last year when an elderly man in a Buick attempted to make a right-hand turn on red without first yielding to me in the crosswalk as I ran. I've also had some VERY close calls with sideview mirrors of vehicles and cough from all of the diesel exhaust fumes from the heavy truck traffic. I hate to admit this, but even being a "green" person I gladly hop into my car and waste our precious gas to drive ten miles each way to Lake Scranton so I can run SAFELY!

Urban planners in NEPA ought to be shot on sight for not planning for bike paths, sidewalks, or even SHOULDERS on many local roadways before planning for residential and commercial development. I hate to admit that I don't know how to ride a bike because I don't live in an area where there's anywhere that I CAN bike! It was especially embarrassing when we visited Martha's Vineyard and I kept falling over in front of my friends. Whenever Dan belittles Scranton, I should remind him that at least his neighborhood isn't alongside a four-lane commuter belt so you can't safely run or ride a bike.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:29 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,220 times
Have you ever checked out Promised Land State Park? I believe there are bike trails there.

We live on Route 507, so I know what you mean about the hills, and I would never send my kids out to ride with all the traffic, especially in the summer. The most they ever get to ride their bikes is when we go camping.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:30 AM

620 posts, read 2,056,042 times
There are a lot of opportunities for mountain biking in the area--Promised Land comes to mind. If you are up for a day trip, do the lehigh river valley gorge trail...some say one of the best trails in the US as far as beginner mountain biking goes. Lot's of other biking around Jim Thorpe too. You've got Prompton state park near Honesdale with trails. If you want to stay on the road, lot's of people bicycle up 191 north of Honesdale. It is pretty rigorous but with some great vistas, if you've got the legs for it.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:05 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Are we talking about about mountain biking or road cycling? Mountain biking is not a issue, find a power line road or train tracks and you'll find trails. There hundreds of miles of quad paths in this area and there is no shortage of mountain bike riding areas. If your talking about road cycling well its NEPA and its the "mountains" so you'll have to deal with hills.

Most guys that I know that road cycle do it out near Elk Mt. and in those areas to avoid any traffic.

If your looking for flat country riding then you'll have to day trip to the Allentown area around Mertzville and Bear Creek Ski area. Thats also the area that is home to the vellodrome.

Old 03-16-2008, 12:51 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
we were kind of looking at road biking as i dont mountain bike that much anymore since my broken collerbone. we do have our mountain bikes too though so parks are no problem but as i get older i much prefer our nice light road bikes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania