Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,103,913 times

Advertisements

Its rare to find a meat sauce that doesn't taste over cooked or watered down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 11:51 AM

23 posts, read 253,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Its rare to find a meat sauce that doesn't taste over cooked or watered down.
I agree and while tomato based sauces are obviously a crucial component to a number of authentic Italian pasta dishes, there's just so little variety in the dishes at most Italian restaurants in our area.

A marinara made with good quality tomatoes or a bolognese with the right ratio of meat to tomato (or even no tomato) is a beautiful thing, but I've had too many pasta dishes locally that were smothered in watery, overly sweet tomato sauces.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:09 PM

923 posts, read 3,096,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexcye View Post
Are they open yet? I thought when I drove by a couple days ago, the banner said they would be opening soon but I could be wrong on that. Also, while as far as I know it is being run by the people behind Basilicos, it has a different name (Bazil, maybe?)

I was surprised to see Firegrill closing, but I'm hoping the new place can do something interesting with Italian food rather than just repeating the standard NEPA template for just about every Italian-American restaurant (lots of red sauce pasta, 10 different preps for chicken, the same 10 different preps for veal, etc...)
I have no idea when their opening. I
guess I figured they took it over on the 15th - so would open on the 16th !!
I'm NOT tooooo bright The people that own the Basilicos in DC are from
Long Island and I believe they have more restaurants in NY. They probably
give them all different name, so as not to look like a chain !!!
The Firegrill closed because of bad management, the two guys - manager
and supervisor had no idea what they were doing and didn't care. I'm an
insider so I know the story. To bad upper management didn't step in !!
Oh well, so now Clarks Summit has a new restaurant, and thats always fun !

Old 01-24-2008, 04:30 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,132,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkotb View Post
I have no idea when their opening. I
guess I figured they took it over on the 15th - so would open on the 16th !!
I'm NOT tooooo bright The people that own the Basilicos in DC are from
Long Island and I believe they have more restaurants in NY. They probably
give them all different name, so as not to look like a chain !!!
The Firegrill closed because of bad management, the two guys - manager
and supervisor had no idea what they were doing and didn't care. I'm an
insider so I know the story. To bad upper management didn't step in !!
Oh well, so now Clarks Summit has a new restaurant, and thats always fun !
I live in clarks summit, I have to check it out. they are also opening a tex-mex
place where vince the pizza prince used to be, a sushi place near garrity's jewelry place used to be and just opened last week a juniors chicken and ribs
not bad, more to come but I won't tell..........

Old 01-24-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
I live in clarks summit, I have to check it out. they are also opening a tex-mex
place where vince the pizza prince used to be, a sushi place near garrity's jewelry place used to be and just opened last week a juniors chicken and ribs
not bad, more to come but I won't tell..........
Glad to hear all this. I saw a flier for the chicken and rib place and was encouraged. It sounded (on paper anyway) like they were trying to do some authentic barbeque. Would love to hear a report from anyone that's been there as I think they've just opened. BTW, where is (was) Garrity's Jewelry?

Old 01-24-2008, 06:24 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,132,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexcye View Post
Glad to hear all this. I saw a flier for the chicken and rib place and was encouraged. It sounded (on paper anyway) like they were trying to do some authentic barbeque. Would love to hear a report from anyone that's been there as I think they've just opened. BTW, where is (was) Garrity's Jewelry?
my mistake, I mispelled it, it's gerrity's supermkt in summit square shopping center. they are opening a sushi place where the tokens jewelry store used to be ( next to gerrity's)

Old 01-24-2008, 06:29 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,103,913 times
I wonder if its Vinny Lamb(sp?) from Kyoto in the abington shopping center. They own the Eastern Buffet on rt6 in DC as well. If its not them I hope they can compete and I hope its fresh. You have to watch the sushi around here sometimes its not the greatest. Never goto Osaka on half price sundays its all the leftovers from the previous week.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I wonder if its Vinny Lamb(sp?) from Kyoto in the abington shopping center. They own the Eastern Buffet on rt6 in DC as well. If its not them I hope they can compete and I hope its fresh. You have to watch the sushi around here sometimes its not the greatest. Never goto Osaka on half price sundays its all the leftovers from the previous week.
Yeah, the whole idea of half price sushi is pretty frightening, isn't it? The Lamb (don't know the spelling either) family also owns Formosa and Blu Wasabi as well. I've found the sushi at Kyoto to be somewhat consistent (though rarely spectacular) but the sushi-based specials at Blu Wasabi to be really nice.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:46 PM

923 posts, read 3,096,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS89 View Post
I agree with Dan's first post (will wonders never cease). Basilico's is not just any old pizza joint. Their dinners are fantastic, many are not in any sort of red sauce, the ingredients are quality, the produce is fresh, and the portions more than generous.

The Firegrill should open up opportunities menu-wise, and he'll probably be able to do things there that he couldn't pull off at the original location.
The Firegrill is gone !!!!! Basillicos took over the building !!!

Old 01-25-2008, 05:54 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,314,359 times
Right. I guess I should have been more clear. "Running the old Firegrill should open up opportunities..."

Will it continue to be called the Firegrill, or will it be called Basilico's, as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania