Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 02:33 AM

325 posts, read 584,008 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking about relocating to Pa. from Sussex County NJ. We discovered the town of Honesdale. Just love it. Seems like it has everything we want.
Looking at the possibility of buying a place about 10-15miles north of the town. Close enough to the Hospital, shopping, and such, but far enough out in the sticks like we want.
Any pros and cons that we ought to know about? Taxes, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 08:39 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,109,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
My wife and I are thinking about relocating to Pa. from Sussex County NJ. We discovered the town of Honesdale. Just love it. Seems like it has everything we want.
Looking at the possibility of buying a place about 10-15miles north of the town. Close enough to the Hospital, shopping, and such, but far enough out in the sticks like we want.
Any pros and cons that we ought to know about? Taxes, etc?
First, you might want to post in the Northeast PA thread, since Honesdale is part of that region and you'll probably get a better response.

Second, are you currently working or retired? Will you have to worry about finding work at all? If so, don't move to NEPA without having a job lined up. That's good advice for any move, but especially for NEPA where the jobs are scarce even at the best of economic times.

Taxes most likely will be less than what you are paying in NJ. You'll be in Wayne County. Here's a link to the county's millage rates for 2012:

http://co.wayne.pa.us/wp-content/upl...nemillages.pdf

I believe some real estate websites give the assessed value of a property (I think Trulia does?) so that information should give you some idea of what type of property taxes you'll be paying.

Something I'd suggest is to rent a hotel room near Honesdale for a couple of days and kind of get an idea about the town and surrounding area. Sometimes places that seem awesome when you are on vacation are in reality not the best or most exciting places to live.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 AM

thanks for the reply, I am retired. I should have posted in NE Pa. sorry!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
thanks for the reply, I am retired. I should have posted in NE Pa. sorry!
No problem I wonder if Too Busy Today can switch this post over to the NEPA forum.

Since you are retired, I think Honesdale would be a great choice. Would you be looking to live in town or in the surrounding townships?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 AM

I'm thinking about 10-15miles outside of town. Convenience of shopping and the hospital yet in the sticks and hopefully low taxes.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking about 10-15miles outside of town. Convenience of shopping and the hospital yet in the sticks and hopefully low taxes.
We have a poster on the NEPA forum who lives out there. The only thing I would suggest, after having worked in Honesdale for a little while, is that you should definitely get four wheel drive if you don't already have it. That area tends to get the upper amounts of snow totals in the NEPA region, and you don't want to be stuck in the house if there is an emergency.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,417,186 times
OP, how did the move to Honesdale work out?

Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 PM

We haven't made the move yet. Still on our minds. I really like the area.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:37 PM

107,080 posts, read 109,388,270 times
work for the most part is made up of minimum wage jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania