Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:30 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
If you browse around that area you won't be too disappointed. Have fun Are you going today?
No, I didn't go today. It probably won't be for a week or so. Maybe I'll go for the Columbus Day sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 08:48 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Steamtown is kind of scummy, including its clientele. Viewmont isn't terribly dirty, it's just a typical suburban mall and not especially impressive. There's a lot in that general vicinity though other than the mall, so you should be able to find some good deals.

Actually Steamtown isn't scummy at all. The building itself is nice and well-kept. The only problem with Steamtown is that its kind of dying out, a lot of empty storefronts. But the last time I was in Viewmont, they didn't seem to be doing much better...especially the food court, which looked about 80% empty. I think its just the fact that indoor malls are a thing of the past, people don't seem to do all their shopping at malls like they did back in the 80s. I go to Penney's once in a while, but that's about it for the mall for me.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 AM

One plus for the Shoppes at Montage is they have a Panchero's.....excellent burritos. And Cinemark is my favorite movie theater in the area.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:29 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Actually Steamtown isn't scummy at all. The building itself is nice and well-kept. The only problem with Steamtown is that its kind of dying out, a lot of empty storefronts. But the last time I was in Viewmont, they didn't seem to be doing much better...especially the food court, which looked about 80% empty. I think its just the fact that indoor malls are a thing of the past, people don't seem to do all their shopping at malls like they did back in the 80s. I go to Penney's once in a while, but that's about it for the mall for me.
It isn't? It's been a while since I've been there, at least three years, but last time I was there it was very dirty. The building may be nice but there was a lot of garbage around. Oh well.

Really unless a mall is enormous like KOP or MOA, no one goes to them anymore.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:02 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Wow, I remember Steamtown mall back in its heyday when they first opened. It was a hoppin' joint. That was, what, close to 20 years ago now? We used to go there when the kids were little and watch the trains. I liked the fact that it was downtown, and somehow had that old-fashioned downtown shopping feel.

Yes, there are a lot of vacant stores but we still do Christmas shopping there because we don't have a Boscov's down in the Stroudsburgs. And it's a shame there are no book stores in malls anymore, only free-standing big box B&N's of which there is one outside Viewmont I believe.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Wow, I remember Steamtown mall back in its heyday when they first opened. It was a hoppin' joint. That was, what, close to 20 years ago now? We used to go there when the kids were little and watch the trains. I liked the fact that it was downtown, and somehow had that old-fashioned downtown shopping feel.

Yes, there are a lot of vacant stores but we still do Christmas shopping there because we don't have a Boscov's down in the Stroudsburgs. And it's a shame there are no book stores in malls anymore, only free-standing big box B&N's of which there is one outside Viewmont I believe.
Nope, that was a Borders and it's since closed down. Now it is a Books-A-Million, I hear. There is a B&N in Wilkes-Barre Township as well as one in downtown WB (I think that's still there?).

Old 10-02-2012, 07:32 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,436,873 times
Bummer about the Borders closing. I once found a Kenneth Anger DVD collection there which was a real pleasant surprise. Books-A-Million sounds like a mass market/closeout operation which can have cool stuff at good prices. I'll stop in when I do my Christmas shopping.

The B&N in downtown W-B is still there, and it doubles as the university textbook store for Kings and Wilkes.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:31 AM

Honestly the Books-A-Million is essentially the same store that Borders was. Almost identical, even the layout is almost exactly the same.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Bummer about the Borders closing. I once found a Kenneth Anger DVD collection there which was a real pleasant surprise. Books-A-Million sounds like a mass market/closeout operation which can have cool stuff at good prices. I'll stop in when I do my Christmas shopping.

The B&N in downtown W-B is still there, and it doubles as the university textbook store for Kings and Wilkes.
Wow, I guess Wilkes/Kings students don't mind getting price gouged with their textbooks.

Let me know how BAM is. They bought a lot of former Borders sites that didn't have a bookstore nearby, but because Whitehall still has a B&N we didn't get one.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:29 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
Indoor malls aren't a thing of the past. I used to live not too far from the Cherry Hill mall so check their website every once in a while. In the last few years they've renovated, added full service restaurants, a parking garage and valet parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania