Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
To be bluntly honest, I don't think dress codes do a damned thing to curb behavior.
I'd have to agree, I don't see how it could. You're still going to have designer dress clothes and stuff from Wal Mart.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Very sad. I can't even begin to imagine what was going on in the victims' heads or what type of pain they were feeling.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:43 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Very sad. I can't even begin to imagine what was going on in the victims' heads or what type of pain they were feeling.
I agree, my heart breaks for this children and their families. I have told all my children suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem; and all problems are temporary.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I agree, my heart breaks for this children and their families. I have told all my children suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem; and all problems are temporary.
Unfortunately at that age there's not much of a concept of time. Problems that could resolve themselves in weeks seem like they will never go away. Someone upthread (probably that wise fisheye gentlemen) posed that the current economy probably exacerbates that sense of hopelessness. I don't doubt that at all. Every other news story is about job loss, how new graduates can't find jobs, etc. It's scary for me at my age, so I can't imagine thinking about the future as an adolescent and seeing nothing but bleakness.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:03 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Unfortunately at that age there's not much of a concept of time. Problems that could resolve themselves in weeks seem like they will never go away. Someone upthread (probably that wise fisheye gentlemen) posed that the current economy probably exacerbates that sense of hopelessness. I don't doubt that at all. Every other news story is about job loss, how new graduates can't find jobs, etc. It's scary for me at my age, so I can't imagine thinking about the future as an adolescent and seeing nothing but bleakness.
I agree about the economy presenting a possible depressive issue. Hell, I get depressed about the world and I'm in my 30s. I wonder if suicide rates were higher during the Great Depression too.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I agree about the economy presenting a possible depressive issue. Hell, I get depressed about the world and I'm in my 30s. I wonder if suicide rates were higher during the Great Depression too.
Suicide and economy: Rates rise during downturns - Los Angeles Times

Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Actually that article does not help answer our questions. It has only created more questions. I went to the CDC's site and found this link: CDC - Trends Both Sexes by Age - Statistics - Suicide - Violence Prevention - Injury It sugest that suicide rates are down in the 10-24 year old age bracket. They also have a map of the US and break down the areas by the number of suicides per 100,000. Our area is not that high compared to some areas of the country.

The four suicides would have been “normal” if they were spread out over three months. What is not normal is four in one week. That is why many of us are looking for answers.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Actually that article does not help answer our questions. It has only created more questions. I went to the CDC's site and found this link: CDC - Trends Both Sexes by Age - Statistics - Suicide - Violence Prevention - Injury It sugest that suicide rates are down in the 10-24 year old age bracket. They also have a map of the US and break down the areas by the number of suicides per 100,000. Our area is not that high compared to some areas of the country.

The four suicides would have been “normal” if they were spread out over three months. What is not normal is four in one week. That is why many of us are looking for answers.
I was more answering Magritte's question about suicide rates in economic downturns than trying to address the original post. I apologize.

Four in one week is definitely not normal, especially with two being in one school district.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:37 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
There is much we don't know about these four young people. We do have sketchy information about GPA, participation in school activities, family background, but only in the vaguest sense because the media has opted to withhold identities and other personal information out of respect for the grieving families.

If it was possible to know every aspect of their lives, interests and personalities, then the scientific community could compare similarities and differences that might indicate the possibility of a common thread. But everything is just speculation because we cannot know why these children felt so hopeless and helpless at such a young age.

Four of my grandchildren are adolescents and I'm sure it never entered their minds to take such drastic action. But then, how do I know?

Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
I was more answering Magritte's question about suicide rates in economic downturns than trying to address the original post. I apologize.

Four in one week is definitely not normal, especially with two being in one school district.
You have nothing to apologize for. We are all searching for answers and we do not want one more child to die if we could do anything to help.

We could all use better information as theatergypsy points out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania