Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 05:54 AM

403 posts, read 771,457 times

Advertisements

We are not looking for a sprawling mansion on 10 acres of land. There are only 3 of us. There are actually quite a few homes in that price range in the modest developments. Really, we've just been looking at commute time, safety, school districts, and first impressions as we drove through them. We've found that we can build what we want for about 165,000ish. The hard part is finding a smaller piece of land near other homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 06:19 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
We are not looking for a sprawling mansion on 10 acres of land. There are only 3 of us. There are actually quite a few homes in that price range in the modest developments. Really, we've just been looking at commute time, safety, school districts, and first impressions as we drove through them. We've found that we can build what we want for about 165,000ish. The hard part is finding a smaller piece of land near other homes.
Well Moscow is as safe as it gets, for sure! I was just wondering because I have a family friend who lives there and she spent a lot of money on her home. I believe she has a ridiculous McMansion in a new development though.

I am glad you were able to find a pick of homes! I was worried that they would be prices like hers.

From what I understand NP is a pretty good school district. I know there was a lot of infighting between school board members and taxpayers over a new school being built, so I'm not sure how your taxes will be--they ended up building the new high school in 2009.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:37 AM

Yes, we've seen some of those McMansions! Definitely not what we're looking for

Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,642,219 times
I can't see you building around here for under 200k. The cheaper lots need to be cleared and you need to add septic and a well, so they really aren't so cheap. And the taxes will be sky high on new construction. You could probably do it with a small cottage under 1500 sf, but otherwise I would say you have to buy an existing home. Not to mention that just about all of the developments in the area have building restrictions, and will essentially price you out of what you are looking for.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:44 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
In today's economy and real estate market, I would look very hard at buying an existing home, possibly making a tradeoff from 'perfection' for other benefits.

Building is often not 'fun', it almost always costs more than expected/planned, or you will make sacrifices in the result you may later regret and retrofit etc. It takes time and effort, usually more than expected. There are also other reasons that often surprise...site prep and finishing mentioned earlier is one. There are many more. If you are looking to do it "just to do it", or want something very 'special', building may be the only way. That doesn't sound like the situation you are in. If you buy existing, there are often updates and changes you can do, but the basic house will be there to start with. Most 'surprises' should be behind you, providing you use a good inspector when you buy.

Unless you have exhausted potential areas and inventory over a few months, keep looking while you consider building. Houses will continue to come up for sale. Prices can drop. This time of year sellers sometimes become more motivated.

There are homes in/near Clarks Summit in the $$ range you state...but the commute will be longer.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:57 AM

The reason we are looking for newer homes or to build are because for the past 13 years we have lived in an OLD home that has nickled and dimed us to death. We have done more weekend projects than I can count! We are, however, aware that it may not be in our budget right now. We are meeting with both a builder and a mortgage lender shortly and that will let us know for sure.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
The reason we are looking for newer homes or to build are because for the past 13 years we have lived in an OLD home that has nickled and dimed us to death. We have done more weekend projects than I can count! We are, however, aware that it may not be in our budget right now. We are meeting with both a builder and a mortgage lender shortly and that will let us know for sure.
"Newer" is fine...no one suggested "old"...just "used". Decently/recently build homes often need little until 20-25 years and even then thay are not huge expenses compared to the cost/value of the house. Original owners often address the 'building mistakes'/items in the first few years. If things are needed now, this should be reflected in the asking/buying price and again in the post inspection adjustments.

Existing homes with motivated sellers (even banks are motivated these days) are more price flexible than new ones, where you make trade offs in plans/materials.

It is nice when a newly built home comes out well, but as with cars, you pay a premium for a "new" item that quickly becomes "used".

If you talk to a builder, talk to a few before deciding. Good luck...

Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Id go for a slighty ued one also as Jimazee said ... Plus the house will be settled too .. Its the BEST bang for your buck..

Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post
I can't see you building around here for under 200k. The cheaper lots need to be cleared and you need to add septic and a well, so they really aren't so cheap. And the taxes will be sky high on new construction. You could probably do it with a small cottage under 1500 sf, but otherwise I would say you have to buy an existing home. Not to mention that just about all of the developments in the area have building restrictions, and will essentially price you out of what you are looking for.

Which town are you from?

Old 09-01-2012, 05:12 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
I know The township I live in If you want to build a home you must have 2 acres of land in order to build new .. I know a few other places are like that too ... Just ask before you buy a 1 acre lot and get screwed because you need a 2 acres to build ... Also a septic system will run a MIN of $15,000 and a well will run at least $4 grand ( depending on how far they have to drill.. ) Your better off buying a home thats already built .. There are some great deals out there .. Its a Buyers market ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania