Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:19 PM

57 posts, read 167,957 times

Advertisements

So we are looking to move out of Florida back up north. We are looking at the Poconos area. We saw very cheap homes in that region including a town called Tobyhanna. But, then with some reading on here saw that it has crime. What is the crime that they are talking about? What is bad and what is good areas and towns?
As for jobs I would be working as a counselor in substance abuse or mental health so Im not that worried. I have heard that there is plenty of jobs in the city areas for this. I heard about NYC commutes on here for this area also. But, from google maps it says the commute is 2 hrs. What is the actual commute?
Any information that would be helpful please feel free to tell.
thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 12:57 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
The cheaper homes are probably in PCP. You can read plenty about that development online. Not too many posters will encourage you to buy there.

Monroe County is having problems with school taxes. I guess you can say the same about most of the state. However; our taxes have continually gone up thought this last recession and most taxpayers are saying that enough is enough. I think that our school boards are finally listening (of course we did vote in new members). Pocono Mountain is considering closing two of it’s schools. Other area schools are also cutting back. I don’t know if the cutbacks will affect substance abuse counselors - we have plenty of substance abuse in the county.

By the way; why buy when you want to work? What I mean is that should you not look for employment while renting or maybe even before you move? If you find the job you want; then buy. You would be more familiar with the area and you would not be committed to an area that did not offer you employment. You do not want to commute to NYC - it will make your workday four or more hours longer (less time to enjoy your life).

PS Maybe you already read this link: https://www.city-data.com/forum/northeastern-pennsylvania/614037-pocono-country-place-good-bad-its.html I figured that I better post it so you have more information.

Last edited by fisheye; 01-22-2012 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: more information

Old 01-22-2012, 03:18 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,142,584 times
I would look elsewhere ,,

Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM

ok let me ask this.. Where can I find a home that would have a half acre or more with 4 bedrooms for 120k or cheaper like in the Poconos but that is 1 hr or less to New Jersey?
If anyone can tell me some locations I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj593 View Post
ok let me ask this.. Where can I find a home that would have a half acre or more with 4 bedrooms for 120k or cheaper like in the Poconos but that is 1 hr or less to New Jersey?
What part of NJ ? That would help ..

Old 01-22-2012, 06:00 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times
Quote:
You might try Milford or Dingmans Ferry. True what Riverside said, we need to know what part of NJ.

Have you ever lived in the Poconos? It's nice in the summer with activities going on but the rest of the year people tend to hibernate because it's so cold and not much going on. The one thing I do like in the winter is skiing and snow tubing. It is basically a resort area. Take it from me, I moved from there 12 years ago and live in FL now. I'd suggest to visit in Jan or Feb and see for yourself.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 PM

12 posts, read 21,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I would look elsewhere ,,
Hi.. I was also looking into a really nice house which is reasonably priced in the Pocono Farms development. I'm coming out of Brooklyn, NY. I don't mind too much that its dead over there in the winter time and the commute is not an issue since I can telecommute (work from home) pretty much every day.

I have kids though, and I'm worried about all this talk about drive by shootings and gangs and drug infested streets.. What's the story with that? Riverside4ever, I read in one of your other posts that you were a cop in NYC. Any way you can send me an email or direct message through this venue so I can perhaps talk to you directly about the area?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iinthesky View Post
Hi.. I was also looking into a really nice house which is reasonably priced in the Pocono Farms development. I'm coming out of Brooklyn, NY. I don't mind too much that its dead over there in the winter time and the commute is not an issue since I can telecommute (work from home) pretty much every day.

I have kids though, and I'm worried about all this talk about drive by shootings and gangs and drug infested streets.. What's the story with that? Riverside4ever, I read in one of your other posts that you were a cop in NYC. Any way you can send me an email or direct message through this venue so I can perhaps talk to you directly about the area?

You can message me here ... Pocono Farms was the place to live 25 yrs ago ... sadly now its nothing like it was ,, I would stay away from that whole area . Pocono Farms East is even worse. IMO. If you go 30 miles North of there its a WHOLE different world ...

Last edited by Riverside4ever; 01-23-2012 at 05:47 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 04:43 AM

Trenton, mount holly or Camden entry points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
What part of NJ ? That would help ..

Old 01-23-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Trenton, mount holly or Camden entry points.

Hmmmm Thats Tough in a Hr from the Pocono's ..

Maybe look near Portland ,Pa . , Close to DWG .... That would be my best guess .. OR go further down rt 33 twards Easton . You can get 78 over there.. But stay far away from Tobyhanna ..IMO

Last edited by Riverside4ever; 01-23-2012 at 05:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania