Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 10:26 PM

30 posts, read 106,547 times

Advertisements

New York Family With Young Kids Looking To Relocate Possibly To Wilkes Barre-would Like Feedback Regarding Schools, Parks, Shopping, Homes Etc. If Possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 06:25 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,739,702 times
Good morning Greg! As a lifelong resident of Pittston, about ten minutes north of Wilkes-Barre, a college student at King's College downtown, and an employee of the Wilkes-Barre Lowe's store, I think I've got a pretty good idea of what it's like to live in and around the "Diamond City." ;o)

I don't know if you're referring to the city proper (pop. 43,000) or its extensive surrounding network of suburbs, so I'll give you a bit of feedback on each.

WILKES-BARRE CITY: While being our region's second-largest city (behind Scranton), Wilkes-Barre still has a "small-town" flair to it, as you can easily bump into several people you know at the mall or just walking down the street. Wilkes-Barre, unfortunately, is the most crime-plagued city in the region, stemming from the fact that our local police seem to be losing the war on drug trafficking between suppliers in NYC, Camden, Newark, and Philly to Wilkes-Barre buyers. The buyers in Wilkes-Barre are often "lower-class", so mini-market hold-ups and bank robberies are an almost everyday occurrence in and around the city as junkies try to feed their habits.

Don't be deceived though---There are still some very attractive residential options in the city itself. If you're looking to avoid the crime mess, then just avoid South Wilkes-Barre. The Northern half of the city remains tranquil and a nice place to raise a family. The Parsons, Brookside, and Miners Mills neighborhoods in the NorthSide are mostly home to senior citizens who have retained their same homesteads since the early-1900s. As such, crime here is almost unheard of, and people feel very comfortable walking around alone (even at night!) The flipside is that the quality of housing in these neighborhoods isn't the most ideal---Most were built in a hurry during the coal mining rush of the late 1800s and early 1900s, and most have had minimal "updating" since then. However, while most homes in other communities from this era feature "goodies" such as stained glass windows, natural woodwork, hardwood floors, etc., the homes in these neighborhoods are all of a non-descript, aluminum-sided variety, as those building them at the time were often poor immigrants with large families seeking work in the mines. The "bonus" here is that most homes are well below $100,000, so it is quite possible to purchase a home here for $70,000, pump $40,000 into an updated kitchen, new vinyl siding, landscaping, etc., and have a beautiful showplace for just over $100,000. Most homes here have three bedrooms and one bathroom, and most sit on typical city lots of 50' x 150'. These neighborhoods are within walking distance to soccer fields, Hollenback Golf Course, Parsons Park, and mom-and-pop conveniences along George Avenue, along with the Solomon campus of Wilkes-Barre Area's public schools, featuring an elementary and junior high school. The area is served by Coughlin High School about two miles south in center city. Overall, the Wilkes-Barre Area School District isn't my top choice for academic achievement, but it is in one of the more affordable areas.

As far as shopping is concerned, the city doesn't offer much in the way of a traditional downtown---Our center city is mostly just filled with banks and offices. Wilkes-Barre Township, just to the east along I-81, is home to Starbucks, Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Target, Panera Bread, Bed Bath & Beyond, and just about any other chain retail store you could imagine, along with a 90-store indoor shopping center called the Wyoming Valley Mall, home to GAP, American Eagle, Express, The Limited, The Disney Store, Sears, JCPenney, Macy's, etc. With the anticipation of the opening of the "Shoppes @ Montage" sometime next year in Scranton, you'll have more options in the way of Ann Taylor Loft, Williams Sonoma, Coach, etc. Needless to say, you won't be disappointed with our shopping options, and the dining options are just as varied---Every chain you could imagine (except for a Hard Rock or Planet Hollywood obviously) and plenty of diners and mom-and-pop pizzerias and eateries.

Overall, I'd give looking at the city itself a shot, as it is convenient, and the neighborhoods I mentioned are well out of the flood plain. There's also a massive new housing development, called "Pine Ridge Estates" under construction right in the heart of Miners Mills/Parsons, which offers single-family new construction in the $200,000-$300,000 range, along with new townhomes.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:40 AM

THE "WEST SIDE": Home to Kingston (pop. 14,000), Forty Fort, Plymouth, and other surrounding towns, the West Side is Wilkes-Barre's network of "inner suburbs." Located just opposite the Susquehanna River from Wilkes-Barre, Kingston is a grid-shaped community of mostly middle-class families. Housing options are varied, from half-duplexes that start at $50,000 all the way up to restored, large Historic homes along Charles, Butler, Ford, and Westmoreland Avenues and the surrouding neighborhoods that can often fetch upwards of $300,000. Kingston is virtually crime-free---Many of the residents here likewise are drug addicts, but unlike in South Wilkes-Barre, they actually keep to themselves and don't go on robbery sprees. The town offers many adorable tree-lined streets and is within walking distance to restaurants, banks, schools, parks, etc. The community, as well as all of the West Side, is served by the Wyoming Valley West School District, which is, by most accounts, an "average" public school system. It is in Kingston that you'll find Kirby Park, home to a levee-top walking trail, tennis courts, a pond, pavillions, etc.

Shopping options on the West Side revolve around Edwardsville, wedged between Kingston, to the north, and Plymouth, to the south. There is a small theater here, along with several large shopping centers that are seeing reinvestment lately after nearly dying off completely with the massive growth in Wilkes-Barre Township's commercial sector. A new Lowe's Home Improvement Store is planned for Edwardsville, and there are at least two (if not three) large markets in Edwardsville that have opened in recent years. You'll probably see more smaller businesses open up to catch the foot traffic from Lowe's once it opens next year. Most residents still hop onto the Cross Valley Freeway for the 10-minute trek to Wilkes-Barre Township though for all of their shopping needs (including, ironically, another Lowe's! LOL!)

Forty Fort is a somewhat upscale little town just to the north of Kingston that is primarily residential with tree-lined streets. It's a great community in which to reside, and it borders the Midway Shopping Center for shopping options such as The Bon Ton, CVS, UPS Store, Price Chopper Supermarket, and other conveniences, along with rumors of a new Home Depot (apparently the guys in orange aren't going to let Lowe's build a new store without them! LOL!) There's also a small airport here if you're so inclined to take a chartered plane out for a spin, and the community is home to many soccer fields, football fields, baseball fields, etc.

Larksville, Plymouth, Courtdale, Luzerne, Pringle, and Swoyersville round out the West Side. Plymouth is an old mining town to the south of Edwardsville with a dying Main Street full of struggling mom-and-pop stores (It's sad, really). These communities are all just typical small-towns, ranging in population from about 800 (Courtdale) to 6,500 (Plymouth). Crime is low in all of these communities, and housing options range from fixer-uppers in Plymouth and Luzerne to newer developments in Larksville and Swoyersville.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:48 AM

MOUNTAIN TOP: Home to the Crestwood School District, which is routinely in contention with Abington Heights and North Pocono to lay claim to the title of "Best Public School District in NEPA", Mountain Top is Wisteria Lane at its finest (or worst depending on your opinion). Crime is unheard of here, but the community just doesn't attract me. It's a woodsy suburban area full of tract housing in the $250,000-$500,000+ range. If cul-de-sac living about twenty minutes from Wilkes-Barre is what you crave, then you'll love Mountain Top. Granted, the schools are excellent, but winter driving is horrible, as the roads leading down into the valley from this community are never properly-plowed. There's not much in the way of shopping options or parks here---Most residents commute to Wilkes-Barre for both work and shopping. The population here is about 17,000 and growing daily with each new housing development that is approved. It's just a shame to see tree after tree coming down for new homes when our area has so many existing homes that could be restored, but I digress...

BACK MOUNTAIN: Ditto Mountain Top, but double the population. Served by the Dallas and Lake-Lehman School Districts, both just behind Crestwood as far as academics are concerned, you'll get the same eerie cookie-cutter development feeling here too, just twice as much! About 32,000 people all funnel onto the Memorial Highway (which bleeds into the Cross Valley Freeway) at rush-hour, so traffic often backs up here. There are shopping options such as upscale boutiques, hardware stores, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. up here, so in essence you'd only ever have to come down to Wilkes-Barre for employment options. Homes here can range from $100,000 if you're lucky enough to find a home outside of a development, up to the seven-figure range for lakeside estates on Harvey's Lake. Outdoor recreation is abundant here, and it is convenient to urban necessities, but the Back Mountain is simply becoming a tad too overcrowded for most tastes.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:04 AM

GREATER PITTSTON: Not to be biased, being a resident of this area myself, but I think you'll find just what you're looking for in Greater Pittston, just 10-15 minutes from either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre. Let me break it down for you:

WYOMING AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT

West Pittston: Known as the "Garden Village", West Pittston lives up to its name for its massive Maples, Elms, and Weeping Willows that line its streets. The homes here are very well-maintained, and most have been in the same family for generations. It's not uncommon on weekends to see people from out-of-town just strolling up and down Susquehanna Avenue, with the river on their left and stately historic homes on their right. West Pittston earns my "City-Data Choice Award" as being my ultimate recommendation for you to consider because of its wonderful, walkable atmosphere to its many playgrounds, schools, churches, and just about every other convenience necessary, as sidewalks adorn EVERY street. Crime is unheard of here, and the borough is served by the Wyoming Area School District, a strong academic achiever. Housing options are varied. You can find homes in the "less-treed" part of town far from the river for under $100,000. Such homes, just like back in the Parsons/Miners Mills areas of Wilkes-Barre which I described, would require new siding, interior redecorating, etc. A well-maintained Victorian anywhere else in the town will fetch in the $220,000-$300,000 neighborhood, with two currently on the market for about $320,000 and $650,000 respectively. "River Shores", a new riverfront development of only thirteen lots, is currently under development, with house/lot packages ranging between $300,000-$500,000. "Ledgeview", the borough's other new development, offers townhomes in the mid-$100,000s, and new single-family homes in the $200,000-$300,000 range. The community hosts the annual riverfront "Cherry Blossom Festival", in which Susquehanna Avenue comes to life with food, music, games, and fun. If you can afford living here, (and that can be a bit of a stretch sometimes), then by all means have at West Pittston! ;o)

Exeter: Just to the south of West Pittston, Exeter (pop. 6,000) has a wide range of housing options from older homes and fixer-uppers on smaller lots in the eastern half of town to new, upscale developments to the western half of town. Bear in mind that certain neighborhoods flood from both runoff from Fairway Estates and Hick's Creek---The flooding concerns are so bad that the borough has put a stop to any new construction until drainage problems are addressed. Not a bad little town to call home, but it's just a bit "disorganized", and trees here are unfortunately kind of rare.

Wyoming/West Wyoming Two small sister towns, Wyoming and West Wyoming offer some attractive neighborhoods and convenience to the Midway Shopping Center for daily needs. There isn't much new construction available here, but the older homes, unlike in other areas, are actually "quaint" here, with hardwood floors, natural woodwork, stained glass windows, wrap-around porches, etc. Both communities offer that "Mayberry" feel to them, with a few churches, mom-and-pop shops, and friendly people.

Harding The last community in the Wyoming Area School District, Harding is country living, plain and simple. Homes here often come on at least an acre of land (sometimes MANY acres) and new development is rare, which preserves the scenic countryside. You're a LONG drive to most conveniences here, so keep that in mind. Crime is unheard of here, but you pay for it by being trapped during snow storms, as schools and employment centers are quite a drive away!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:16 AM

PITTSTON AREA SCHOOL DISTRICT

Pittston Township Looking for a commuter hot spot? Pittston Township, my own hometown, is growing by leaps and bounds. Located just off of the exits for I-81, I-476, and along Highway 315, this community is becoming very popular for dually-employed couples who split their time between working in both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre (just 15 minutes away in either direction). Believe it or not, there's not much real estate actually AVAILABLE here for sale, so housing prices are usually very steep, normally well over $100,000. There's a three bedroom ranch in my neighborhood currently on the market for $219,000, just to give you a warning! Shopping here is also booming---Pittston Commons offers KMart, Dollar Tree, Hallmark, Fashion Bug, and other small stores. Pittston Plaza offers a grocery store, a Dollar General, Radio Shack, and other small stores. Pittston Crossings, currently under development, will be home to a Wal-Mart Supercenter and over a dozen other yet-to-be-disclosed chain retailers and restaurants. Overall, the township is very safe, but traffic can be heinous at times on Highway 315, and it overall just has that creepy "Desperate Housewives" feel to it (without all of the gorgeous people, as evidenced by my own ugly mug! LOL!).

Dupont Another commuter hot-spot, Dupont is a tightly-knit town full of well-kept older homes. There are a few small mom-and-pop ventures, but most have succumbed to the strip malls and big-box stores elsewhere. Neighborhoods are tranquil, except for traffic headaches on the main roads.

Avoca, Duryea, Hughestown Ditto Dupont. Just a range of older homes and newer subdivisions convenient to the highways with a few restaurants and churches thrown in for good measure.

Jenkins Township Ditto Pittston Township, just on a less-prevalent scale. Jenkins Township has a wide range of housing options from trailer parks to McMansions, all in safe areas.

Pittston City On the decline for many decades, the downtown here remains abysmal, home to nothing but a few struggling restaurants, and flourishing banks and medical offices. The continued push for urban sprawl continues to hurt the city daily, but this results in dirt cheap housing prices in much of the town. It's not uncommon to find a nice home in the city for around $90,000, and all city neighborhoods here are safe. Just like Kingston, Pittston has a major drug problem, but the junkies keep to themselves. ;o) I envision the city rising from the ashes someday in my lifetime to be home to boutiques, cafes, markets, etc., but as I continue to see even our Chamber of Commerce giving up on Main Street in favor of Pittston Township, I'm losing hope.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:55 PM

30 posts, read 106,547 times
Default Thank You Scranton Wilkes Barre

Thank You For Your Detailed Analysis And Feedback. I Will Certainly Look Into The West Pittston Area.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:40 AM

10 posts, read 46,691 times
Check out the scranton times online, the times leader online, they are the two major newspapers of this are...actually the only two for the area that are daily papers. Also you can check scrantonpamls it is a realtor website that gives listingd for the area......ten times better than realtor. com, (IN MY OPINION). Also schools can be checked out online as well there are many sites that can give you the information on schools with zero partiality. It is in my opinion that city schools are good, suburbs are better but there are also many private school and catholic school. The catholic schools are somewhat unstable as many have issued closings or have been closed in the last few years. Private scholls are more stable as they are run privately and not by churches. It is all in your desires and affordability as to which type of school district you want. If you go private, then the area to live can vary greatly.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:12 AM

467 posts, read 1,491,237 times
Smile somewhere to rent

To Scranton/Wilkes-Barre....do you know of any place that would rent for
the summer season that wouldnt' break the "bank". We would love to spend
the summer back in PA..but I checked out some places this summer near
Gouldsboro, i.e., Big Bass, Lake Naomi and they are pretty, pretty pricey...
just as bad as the Jersey Shore.....I would have to take out an equity loan
to rent for the summer...LOL.....anyway, just thought you might know of
some nice places in that vicinity....How are the Red Barons doing this season?

Old 08-30-2006, 05:27 PM

I'm pleased to announce that the Red Barons are in FIRST PLACE! YEAH BABY! YEAH! LOL! As far as a "summer rental" is concerned, I'm assuming you're referring to next summer? Were you looking exclusively for a lake area location? Generally, the NYC/NJ crowd have discovered most of the lakes in the Poconos, so you're not going to have much luck anymore finding a "bargain" on the lakefront in Monroe or Pike Counties. Give further north into Wayne County a shot; Perhaps scout around online for seasonal rentals near Lake Wallenpaupack. There's also a very nice campground/resort area called "Keen Lake" between Waymart and Honesdale along Route 6. Our family camped here for years, and I remember there being cottages available for weekly and/or monthly rentals. The community itself was fabulous, with a lakefront playground, a public pool, wildlife, boating, fishing, scheduled activities, ceramics, dance socials, etc. Once again, I'm not sure about "prices" in these areas, since it's been about six years since we've been to Keen Lake, so you'd have to research the rates yourself. Also check out Lake Harmony, just north of Jim Thorpe in Carbon County. I wish I could give you a sure-fire "BARGAIN", but the days of working families being able to "retreat" to the Poconos for inexpensive summer vacations are nearly over as the region continues to shed its vacation image in favor of a year-round permanent area.

Your BEST BET would be Thornhurst Country Club Estates, located south of Moscow in the wilderness of the Lackawanna State Forest. Once again, most homes here have already been converted to year-round residences or "second homes", but there is a message board available on the community's web site (which I probably can't post, so Google it), where you could probably ask around for a summer rental for next year. You may just get a nibble on your line! It's a nice, isolated area that the NYC crowd hasn't stumbled onto yet, so prices should still be reasonable! Happy hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania