Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:19 PM

467 posts, read 1,489,693 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the tips..yes, I meant next year...We usually stay with our daughter in N.J. but everyone works and we feel "in the way". thought we
would go back to our old "stomping ground" but would like to be up near
friends in Big Bass...Looked at some rental prices in there and They are way
way up there....too much for us...I guess the nicer places are very expensive.
may have to come up with another plan...Thanks again. Just a note..we were
lucky this time with "Ernesto" in case anyone cares..It was just a rainy,
windy day here in Delray.....WHEW !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 06:27 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Give Ernie a kick on the rear-end to send him back out to sea, would ya? LOL! I'm afraid that if Ernesto's track stays on schedule, he's going to stall out over PA and cause the second major flood in the Wilkes-Barre area in as many months (CNN was all over the evacuation of 200,000 people back in June when the Susquehanna flooded!) We were lucky then; Binghamton, NY martyred itself by taking on the floodwaters in order to spare Wilkes-Barre! If Binghamton hadn't flooded, then the levees may just have been breached in Wilkes-Barre! (Bye bye King's College, where I go to school, and CONVERGYS, where my father works!) The river is still rising now from yesterday's 2-3 inches of rain, to the point where it is now at around 11 feet (22 feet is flood stage). Another 3-6 inches of rain from Friday into Saturday will have Wilkes-Barre residents heading to the hills again! SHEESH!

P.S. The funniest part of this is the fact that the Beach Boys came to town back in June and were flooded out. They rescheduled their concert for this weekend, and it seems as if ANOTHER flood is coming their way! Can someone please tell the Beach Geezers to stop bringing so much rain along with them? LOL!

Old 08-31-2006, 06:24 PM

42 posts, read 121,903 times
We moved to Wilkes Barre City last year because of the low-priced houses. We were able to pick up a beautiful old 3600 sq. ft. three-story Victorian with a turret, hardwood floors, stained glass, pocket doors, beautiful woodwork, and nice lot for 56K. (there are some lovely old houses here if you search) We have been renovating it top to bottom. Our neighbors on both sides are great, although there are some trashy-type renters around. But what we are seeing is that the houses are being bought-up one-by-one because of the bargains, and many are being fixed up (like ours). Several on our street have been, or are being renovated.

The two colleges here are working well with the downtown, and lots of downtown renovations are in process. Some new businesses are opening downtown, and new developers are eyeballing things. Things are actually looking up for this town, and house prices are rising.

I think as real estate prices have risen so drastically elsewhere, people have started to look at Wilkes Barre, as the small-city feel is appealing, along with the mountains, river, and old-world architecture. Many empty-nesters seem to be escaping suburbia, and the price is right. Also, the current mayor has been very instrumental in bringing innovation and renewed hope to Wilkes Barre with his "I Believe" motto. :-)

Overall, we are happy here so far - lots to do, plenty of shopping and entertainment, and we have meant many nice, easy-going people. The petty crime stuff is annoying, although we have felt basically safe. I wish they would concentrate more effort on the drug dealers.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 PM

I agree with Karnak 100%. I attend King's College, and the amount of culture that our college (along with nearby Wilkes, our rivals) infuse into the city via the Widman Gallery, the Sordoni Gallery, the Darte Center, etc. is hard to measure. It's also thanks to the colleges that there will be a new Barnes & Noble and a new Starbucks opening up a block away from Public Square (the city's center) in six weeks. Generally speaking, I'm assuming Karnak lives somewhere in the vicinity of Wilkes University, as most of the nice, historic homes are located in the neighborhoods south of downtown.

I didn't mean for you to basically write off Wilkes-Barre completely, but for a city of 40,000 souls, the crime rate is higher than it should probably be. The good thing about Wilkes-Barre's weekly stabbings, shootings, assaults, etc. are that they generally ONLY target fellow low-lifes (Pimps gettin' mad about turf, drug dealers fighting over markets, etc.) If you're a middle-class family that stays on the proper side of the law, you won't have much to worry about. I've walked the neighborhoods around King's College at night, and I've yet to run into any problems, even though I park several city blocks away from campus.

I also work at Lowe's, and I can vouch for Karnak's claim that slowly but surely Wilkes-Barre's housing stock is bouncing back, block by block. I've helped a number of people, (many from NY/NJ), who have purchased run-down homes in Wilkes-Barre and are planning to "flip" them for a tidy profit. It's always rewarding to shove a load of drywall into the back of a pick-up truck, knowing that it's headed to South Wilkes-Barre to help restore another Victorian home. Generally speaking, the neighborhoods NORTH of Public Square are safer, but the housing stock is in poorer shape. SOUTH of Public Square is notorious for crime issues, yet the housing stock overall is in liveable shape. It's just a bit odd because you'd expect blighted properties to correspond to "high crime areas", even though the opposite is true in Wilkes-Barre. The neighborhood between King's College and Pennsylvania Avenue (in the general vicinity of the St. Vincent de Paul Kitchen) is trashy and run-down, yet pretty much crime-free. The neighborhoods of South Wilkes-Barre have many tree-lined streets, sidewalks, and well-kept homes, but recent crime has been concentrated here. (Which is why I suggested Parsons and Miners Mills on the city's north side).

Karnak, I'm glad to hear you enjoy living in Wilkes-Barre as much as I enjoy going to school here. My father works downtown as well, and although my mother travels for work, she tends to concentrate herself most heavily in Wilkes-Barre, so a move to the Diamond City may be in their future. (I still want to move to Scranton after college because I perceive it as being more diverse, open-minded, and "gay-friendly", since it has nearly double the population). With the new theater now open, a new night club ready to open, a new Barnes & Noble and Starbucks underway, and plenty of potential, Wilkes-Barre is about to hit a growth spurt. ;o)

Old 06-13-2007, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,544 times
Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I need advice on where to find a summer home that is furnished in the wilkes barre area, It seems that there are many small towns around wilkes-barre, thus finding the right spot is more difficult. My husband is working there, and we will be joining him for the Summer (me, our 2 boys, and are little 10lb shih tzu). We live in San Diego, Ca. , making it hard to research the areas. I would like to find a house that we would all be comfortable in for the next 2-3 months. Thanks again for any input in my dillema.
~Crystal~

Old 10-12-2007, 06:28 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,900,765 times
Default Wilkes Barre is not Harlem or North Philly Jeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Good morning Greg! As a lifelong resident of Pittston, about ten minutes north of Wilkes-Barre, a college student at King's College downtown, and an employee of the Wilkes-Barre Lowe's store, I think I've got a pretty good idea of what it's like to live in and around the "Diamond City." ;o)

I don't know if you're referring to the city proper (pop. 43,000) or its extensive surrounding network of suburbs, so I'll give you a bit of feedback on each.

WILKES-BARRE CITY: While being our region's second-largest city (behind Scranton), Wilkes-Barre still has a "small-town" flair to it, as you can easily bump into several people you know at the mall or just walking down the street. Wilkes-Barre, unfortunately, is the most crime-plagued city in the region, stemming from the fact that our local police seem to be losing the war on drug trafficking between suppliers in NYC, Camden, Newark, and Philly to Wilkes-Barre buyers. The buyers in Wilkes-Barre are often "lower-class", so mini-market hold-ups and bank robberies are an almost everyday occurrence in and around the city as junkies try to feed their habits.

Don't be deceived though---There are still some very attractive residential options in the city itself. If you're looking to avoid the crime mess, then just avoid South Wilkes-Barre. The Northern half of the city remains tranquil and a nice place to raise a family. The Parsons, Brookside, and Miners Mills neighborhoods in the NorthSide are mostly home to senior citizens who have retained their same homesteads since the early-1900s. As such, crime here is almost unheard of, and people feel very comfortable walking around alone (even at night!) The flipside is that the quality of housing in these neighborhoods isn't the most ideal---Most were built in a hurry during the coal mining rush of the late 1800s and early 1900s, and most have had minimal "updating" since then. However, while most homes in other communities from this era feature "goodies" such as stained glass windows, natural woodwork, hardwood floors, etc., the homes in these neighborhoods are all of a non-descript, aluminum-sided variety, as those building them at the time were often poor immigrants with large families seeking work in the mines. The "bonus" here is that most homes are well below $100,000, so it is quite possible to purchase a home here for $70,000, pump $40,000 into an updated kitchen, new vinyl siding, landscaping, etc., and have a beautiful showplace for just over $100,000. Most homes here have three bedrooms and one bathroom, and most sit on typical city lots of 50' x 150'. These neighborhoods are within walking distance to soccer fields, Hollenback Golf Course, Parsons Park, and mom-and-pop conveniences along George Avenue, along with the Solomon campus of Wilkes-Barre Area's public schools, featuring an elementary and junior high school. The area is served by Coughlin High School about two miles south in center city. Overall, the Wilkes-Barre Area School District isn't my top choice for academic achievement, but it is in one of the more affordable areas.

As far as shopping is concerned, the city doesn't offer much in the way of a traditional downtown---Our center city is mostly just filled with banks and offices. Wilkes-Barre Township, just to the east along I-81, is home to Starbucks, Lowe's, Home Depot, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Target, Panera Bread, Bed Bath & Beyond, and just about any other chain retail store you could imagine, along with a 90-store indoor shopping center called the Wyoming Valley Mall, home to GAP, American Eagle, Express, The Limited, The Disney Store, Sears, JCPenney, Macy's, etc. With the anticipation of the opening of the "Shoppes @ Montage" sometime next year in Scranton, you'll have more options in the way of Ann Taylor Loft, Williams Sonoma, Coach, etc. Needless to say, you won't be disappointed with our shopping options, and the dining options are just as varied---Every chain you could imagine (except for a Hard Rock or Planet Hollywood obviously) and plenty of diners and mom-and-pop pizzerias and eateries.

Overall, I'd give looking at the city itself a shot, as it is convenient, and the neighborhoods I mentioned are well out of the flood plain. There's also a massive new housing development, called "Pine Ridge Estates" under construction right in the heart of Miners Mills/Parsons, which offers single-family new construction in the $200,000-$300,000 range, along with new townhomes.
With all due respect, as I read so many comments of yours I find that you bash Wilkes Barre waaay to much. I have lived here for 15 months now and have seen little crime. You make it sound like you hear gun battles every night and have to walk past bums on every street corner. I actually have seen seedier areas in Pittston so please keep the bashing to a minimum.

Wilkes Barre is seeing a hugh influx of Philadelphians every day and I can attest that most of them are of the soulful variety. I work with them as they get entry level jobs where I work at Genetti's. They are all good, decent people relocating here and will eventually lead to the greater good of the economy for the entire valley.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
With all due respect, as I read so many comments of yours I find that you bash Wilkes Barre waaay to much. I have lived here for 15 months now and have seen little crime. You make it sound like you hear gun battles every night and have to walk past bums on every street corner. I actually have seen seedier areas in Pittston so please keep the bashing to a minimum.

Wilkes Barre is seeing a hugh influx of Philadelphians every day and I can attest that most of them are of the soulful variety. I work with them as they get entry level jobs where I work at Genetti's. They are all good, decent people relocating here and will eventually lead to the greater good of the economy for the entire valley.
We were welcomed back to campus this semester with news that one of our own women on campus was sexually attacked in Kirby Park. On Sunday afternoon another female classmate of mine was assaulted on our own basketball courts. The other day a Wilkes University football coach was stabbed in the abdomen by a homeless man in Edwardsville. Last year as I walked past a homeless man near the soup kitchen on East Jackson Street I noticed he was staring at me so I said "Good morning" as I walked past. He staggered to his feet in a drunken stupor, started yelling obscenities, and tried coming after me, but he was too drunk to follow through. During one of my first weeks on campus in late 2005 I had to literally run to my car a few blocks from campus one night because I felt threatened by a group of thuggy-looking guys who were approaching me. In recent weeks women on my campus have been flashed by another delinquent.

You can try to hide this all you'd like, but I see no benefit in telling people that Wilkes-Barre is crime-free. Most of the city is quite-liveable, but there are a few slummy areas like the neighborhoods to the north and east of King's College (Meyers Court, East Jackson Street, Bennett Street North Washington Street, North Main Street, East North Street, Beaumont Street, Madison Street, etc.) as well as parts of South Wilkes-Barre (Hazle Street, Sambourne Street, South River Street, South Franklin Street, South Main Street, Academy Street, Hutson Street). By all means I wanted to attend an "urban" campus, which is part of the reason why I came to King's, but now I'm thinking I would have been much better off in a safer city by attending the University of Scranton or Marywood University. You know things are getting out-of-hand when your campus security office is sending out mass e-mails about crimes near campus and telling people not to walk alone and when your campus is selling some sort of safety whistle thingies.

By the way, I'm very well aware that my own hometown of Pittston has a lot of seediness as well, which is why I never stick up for it. The drug problem in this small town of 7,000 is out-of-control, but the media likes to sweep it under the radar. I was robbed of over $100 in high school, and I received some anti-gay hate mail from at least one individual. I'm moving the hell out of Pittston as soon as I'm financially-sound; I'll be joining the hundreds of other young college graduates who have fled Pittston over the years while the uneducated politicians here continue to permit the city to rot to the core.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:45 PM

98 posts, read 378,627 times
Karnak, What street? I'm looking for a victorian to fix up on a street with others just like yourself.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsedeski View Post
Karnak, What street? I'm looking for a victorian to fix up on a street with others just like yourself.
Karnak has been MIA for quite some time now, but I believe he lives in the general vicinity of Wilkes University (perhaps South Franklin Street). The neighborhood around Wilkes is very attractive, tree-lined, and walkable with (generally) very low crime.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:46 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,900,765 times
Default I understand your position

Hi Scranton Wilkes Barre,

I appreciate where you are coming from and the viewpoint you have. For me, having lived in other areas of the country I guess I see a difference you aren't able if you have lived here all your life. I used to walk home 1 mile through the streets of Philly and every block had a beggar that would berate you and try to scare you for money as you walked past. One time a man chased me down and said "Gimme a Buck!" I replied in my best urban lingo I could muster, "Yo man I ain't givin you nothin!" It may have been a safety gamble but he turned and left. All I'm trying to say is that I have seen worse than I have seen here and I really like the town. When I read negative comments about the area it makes me want to protect it. I live here now with my wife and we are very happy. We want to see this area be reborn and to see a brighter future for all of the valley's communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
We were welcomed back to campus this semester with news that one of our own women on campus was sexually attacked in Kirby Park. On Sunday afternoon another female classmate of mine was assaulted on our own basketball courts. The other day a Wilkes University football coach was stabbed in the abdomen by a homeless man in Edwardsville. Last year as I walked past a homeless man near the soup kitchen on East Jackson Street I noticed he was staring at me so I said "Good morning" as I walked past. He staggered to his feet in a drunken stupor, started yelling obscenities, and tried coming after me, but he was too drunk to follow through. During one of my first weeks on campus in late 2005 I had to literally run to my car a few blocks from campus one night because I felt threatened by a group of thuggy-looking guys who were approaching me. In recent weeks women on my campus have been flashed by another delinquent.

You can try to hide this all you'd like, but I see no benefit in telling people that Wilkes-Barre is crime-free. Most of the city is quite-liveable, but there are a few slummy areas like the neighborhoods to the north and east of King's College (Meyers Court, East Jackson Street, Bennett Street North Washington Street, North Main Street, East North Street, Beaumont Street, Madison Street, etc.) as well as parts of South Wilkes-Barre (Hazle Street, Sambourne Street, South River Street, South Franklin Street, South Main Street, Academy Street, Hutson Street). By all means I wanted to attend an "urban" campus, which is part of the reason why I came to King's, but now I'm thinking I would have been much better off in a safer city by attending the University of Scranton or Marywood University. You know things are getting out-of-hand when your campus security office is sending out mass e-mails about crimes near campus and telling people not to walk alone and when your campus is selling some sort of safety whistle thingies.

By the way, I'm very well aware that my own hometown of Pittston has a lot of seediness as well, which is why I never stick up for it. The drug problem in this small town of 7,000 is out-of-control, but the media likes to sweep it under the radar. I was robbed of over $100 in high school, and I received some anti-gay hate mail from at least one individual. I'm moving the hell out of Pittston as soon as I'm financially-sound; I'll be joining the hundreds of other young college graduates who have fled Pittston over the years while the uneducated politicians here continue to permit the city to rot to the core.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania