Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:41 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times

Advertisements

Call me old fashioned, but count me in with gophillies and sues1 - I am not a fan of all of this fear and hysteria.

Trick or Treating is done best not in malls or amusement parks but in one's own neighborhood.

The more we embrace this culture of fear, paranoia and hysteria, the richer some folkes will become.
Like the people who own malls and amusement parks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:27 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llc1960 View Post
so when is trick or treat in Wilkes Barre City? Is it on Sunday and what time?
Towns around Scranton/Wilkes-Barre don't have designated trick or treat times....but its always done on Halloween night. I never understood why some towns have designated trick or treat times, and sometimes its not even on Halloween!

Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Why not take them door to door in the neighborhood? That's the only way to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
That's the best way i know of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llc1960 View Post
so when is trick or treat in Wilkes Barre City? Is it on Sunday and what time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
In light of all this, there was a post last year that refused to die that had mentioned there could be alternative dates for Halloween. This year, being on a Sunday, is that the day the kids will show up in Wilkes-Barre? We are prepared, my wife has the house all decked out with decorations, and she has made up over 50 bags of candies--- just wanted to be sure of the "designated date".
Agree sue and GP. We will be going to door to door in my neighborhood. We live in the Heights section of Wilkes-Barre and will be going tomorrow night.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:16 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Call me old fashioned, but count me in with gophillies and sues1 - I am not a fan of all of this fear and hysteria.

Trick or Treating is done best not in malls or amusement parks but in one's own neighborhood.

The more we embrace this culture of fear, paranoia and hysteria, the richer some folkes will become.
Like the people who own malls and amusement parks!
True dat Sheena.

The good old days of Halloweening is a lost art for the most part.

When I was a kid, we used to trick or treat our way to more cash than candy - we were smart enough to hit the local bars/taverns - and were even smarter to wait until the regulars were a couple hours into Happy Hour..

The patrons enjoyed the act more than we did.

btw - do kids sing songs anymore? We had to earn our tip or candy bar..
Today's kids seem barely capable of saying Trick or Treat.

reminds me of Halloween last year at my camp in NY. Me and a couple buddies of mine were sitting in front of the wood stove drinking beers and enjoying the flames. We had the doors of the cabin open, outside light on.

I crack another beer and glance out the door at the woodpile and lo & behold - I see a little white ghost and two witches. At first I thought it was the beer, but nope - it turned out to be 3 little T&Ters. I asked where they came from, and they said their Mom saw the porch light from the road and dropped them off at the end of our driveway.

We invited them in and I asked them if they would sing a Halloween song and they looked at me like I was nuts..

So I broke into spirited verse:

Hooooot,Hooooot, Hoot says the Owl,
Who's afraid on Halloween?
Black Cats Here, Black Cats There, Funny little faces Everywhere!!!!
Ho Ho Ho, No,No,No
I'm not afraid on Halloween!!!!

The kids were stunned, my buddies were on the floor rolling with laughter (I still get asked to sing that song to this day ).

anyways, we didn't have any candy or singles, but those kids made out like bandits - like $20 each.

LMAO - that's fun Halloweening

Old 10-30-2010, 04:47 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiesmom View Post
I can't take him door to door because we can't have him outside in the cold weather. He was born premature and his lungs are very sensitive. We were considering not taking him out at all but we didnt want him to miss out on his first Halloween. Hopefully next year we will be able to take him out.

I will check the Shoppes at Montage and see what they have. I believe Dorney Park would be outside as well?
And this sure is a cold Halloween! brrrrrr

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:22 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,955,989 times
Yes, some people still ask for a song to be sung! When my husband first told me of this Scranton (this being where is from and I do not know how widespread of a tradition it is)" Halloweening" ( makes me laugh everytime I read or hear it, sorry) tradition, I found it to be rather odd and sweet at the same time.

Our lil man learned these songs as a baby as did my eldest two! "...my punpkin is ripe and ready to sell, its big and round and Yellow (lol)..." is my fave!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 AM

14 posts, read 21,348 times
Well lucky those of you who can take your kids door to door this year. Hopefully our son will be able to do this next year. This year however we just couldn't risk his health over it.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:16 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,955,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiesmom View Post
Well lucky those of you who can take your kids door to door this year. Hopefully our son will be able to do this next year. This year however we just couldn't risk his health over it.
Fyi...I do not know your sons full condition but my eldest was born in 1988 weighing 2.13...had apena and bradicardia (sp?) at birth and was age adjusted his full first 2 years. I am happy and proud that 22 years later the only lasting problem he has is short mans attitude! Wishing health and happiness to you and your lil one and may he out grow his problems as my son did!

Old 11-01-2010, 01:13 PM

14 posts, read 21,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Fyi...I do not know your sons full condition but my eldest was born in 1988 weighing 2.13...had apena and bradicardia (sp?) at birth and was age adjusted his full first 2 years. I am happy and proud that 22 years later the only lasting problem he has is short mans attitude! Wishing health and happiness to you and your lil one and may he out grow his problems as my son did!

Thank you so much! My son was also born weighing 2.13 lbs and had the same issues! It is great to hear that your son had no lasting issues ( well aside from the attitude ) This gives us preemie parents a lot of hope!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania