Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 03:41 PM

190 posts, read 814,399 times

Advertisements

I have now lived in Grand Forks for a little over a month and I love it. Everyone is nice and friendly. It just feels good to be put at ease. I moved here from Miami where it is everyone out for themselves and no one stops to help or be friendly to anyone.

Upon making my decision to come up here for grad school, I was a bit apprehensive and didn't know what to expect. So far everything has exceeded my expectations. I did encounter one racist a-hole but he was just one person out of the multitudes I have interacted with.

Everything I need is in the city and whatever I want is a road trip away. The cost of living is low and the quality of life is amazing. People have said I will be singing a different tune once winter sets in, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I love it here and I'm glad I made this decision. Any newbies to North Dakota feeling the same way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 03:55 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schiphol View Post
. I did encounter one racist a-hole but he was just one person out of the multitudes I have interacted with.
Yep, That crap happens everywhere and unfortunately you'll have to deal with it. I found that most people are to polite to openly say anything even if they are racist.

Quote:
People have said I will be singing a different tune once winter sets in, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Haha, I was going to say something about this before I noticed that you already addressed this.

The one thing I miss the most about GF, beside family is the Parrots Cay. They have the best wings that I have tasted anywhere. I used to go there Monday or Tuesday for a $1 burger a few beers and the best wings ever. You should also hit up the Red Pepper for a grinder.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:20 PM

I haven't really painted the town yet, but I will look those places up. Thanks for the tips.

Thus far, my favorite places to eat have been Texas Roadhouse and Big Sioux Diner (I think that's the name). Though I have heard a handful of people say negative things about it, but Whitey's is pretty good. I had walleye there for the first time and it was delicious.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:55 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,880 times
Quote:
I haven't really painted the town yet, but I will look those places up. Thanks for the tips.

Thus far, my favorite places to eat have been Texas Roadhouse and Big Sioux Diner (I think that's the name). Though I have heard a handful of people say negative things about it, but Whitey's is pretty good. I had walleye there for the first time and it was delicious.
The Knights of Columbus (Catholic Corner) has walleye during lent real cheap and a baked potato the rest of the year with decently priced drinks. It's downtown by the YMCA.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:47 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,006,048 times
Glad you like it up here. Nice to hear some positives from a newbie. Winter is winter....you may get tired of the length of the season...but you're not alone.

Enjoy

Dan

Old 09-30-2009, 12:26 PM

205 posts, read 729,552 times
Thanks for sharing your positive view of North Dakota and, specifically, Grand Forks. Best wishes for your continued enjoyment!

Old 10-06-2009, 03:04 PM

325 posts, read 1,549,061 times
We love ND too. After being away for 40 years we came back home. Wide open spaces, low crime, slower livestyle pace. Why not live here? We love it and and moved back 6 months ago. Wife has lived most of her life in California and has no desire to go back except to visit her kids. She is looking forward to winter, but I keep telling her you may change your mind next year..lol. But then, we are retired, and next year is a different time.

Good luck on your moves to NoDak. Keep an open mind an understand, yes, it snows here and can get cold too. But, in my opinion, thats small stuff..

MickeyToo

Old 10-09-2009, 09:49 AM

246 posts, read 1,007,311 times
Thats good you are liking it. If you make a trip down to Fargo sometime, there are a few places that I really enjoy for food that isn't the standard Applebee's affair (north dakotan do sure love applebees! LOL)

- Casa Ramos
- Cajun Cafe
- Duanes House of Pizza
- Xtreme Pizza Kitchen
- Kobe's Japanese Cuisine
- Granite City (for a chain place of sorts, the food is darn good)

Those are a few of the places I have really enjoyed, with Duanes pizza reminding me of the stuff I used to get out east, and Xtreme Pizza Kitchens pizza being really quality stuff, especially the Greek Pizza they have.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks, Cain. Some friends and I were just talking about a trip to Fargo to see what the cuisine is like. Your post came at an opportune time. We like Japanese and I see one suggestion. Would you happen to know of any Indian places in Fargo?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:05 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,724 times
Taste of India, on 45th Street in Fargo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota