Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:45 AM

27 posts, read 59,524 times

Advertisements

I am hoping some Texans who have found their way up to North Dakota could tell me how it compares. In any sort of way, the weather is obvious, but just the general atmosphere. My husband and I have mean seriously considering relocating our family, and North Dakota seems to be good fit.

We are people who enjoy simple pleasures, fishing & grilling ,just hanging out..we do not need more than a full cooler, some good music,and good people to be pretty content.
I would appreciate any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 02:54 PM

32 posts, read 84,031 times
We moved up from El Paso. Here is a thread I posted in. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Considering move to Bismarck/Mandan area?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:10 PM

4 posts, read 7,622 times
I am from Victoria TX and now live in Minot(Air Force). I have been here a total of eight years during two stretches. I love the people. The good neighbor exists almost everywhere you go here. I am guessing you are coming because of the Oil so that puts you around Bismarck, mandan, Wliston, Minot or the bustling metropolis of Stanley. Bismarck is a fantastic city that has alot to do for the family. The cost of living is lower in some cases but higher i others. Gas cost about $.10 higher up here from my experience. Don't buy your winter gear in texas. they have no idea what to sell you and if you spend a pile at Academy on coats and gloves before you leave, you'll only have to spend more when you get here. Summer and Spring are gorgeous up here(unless it floods as this yr). there are so many places to travel to it's crazy. Go to the Black Hills in SD, you'll be glad you did. What are specific questions you have?

Old 12-08-2011, 05:30 PM

Well our situtaion is actually that, I was laid off about a year ago, and have been job hunting ever since. I have found employment but I am not making even a quater of what I was. The main diffuculty we face is any job in the greater Houston area, we have a pretty expensive commute. We live in a small town 50 miles outside Houston.With extremely limited job oppurtunites. My husband's job has no more promotion, without relocating. So we recognize we will probably have to move no matter what. We think it might be time to leave Texas, make a big jump.
My husband is very employable, I have experience in office adminstration. Here in Texas, we have not come across people who have much experience with North Dakota..but after much research, North Dakota seems to be the best place, to try and build a quiet simple life. We are particularly interested in Bismarck or Jamestown.
So the biggest questions I have are:
How much of a culture/ climate shock are we in for? If any?
Are the locals, in the smaller towns, open to new people?
How difficult is adjusting to the snow? Heck we close the schools for a "chance' of snow!!!
I just really appreciate any thoughts you might have about the 2 states and how they are the same or different. We are doing everything we can to relocate our family there, it is scary because it just seems to unfamiliar.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:06 PM

7 posts, read 22,483 times
Hi, I am from Colorado, and went up to North Dakota two months ago to look for work, my husband and I are trying to decide between North Dakota and Texas for oil jobs. I was wondering why you would go to North Dakota when there are jobs in the Eagle Ford Shale area? We noticed a lot of Texans in North Dakota when we were there, also on some threads here, just curious.
My two cents from visiting Texas (years ago) and spending a week in Williston, ND, is that it is sooooo cold there! We went there to see if you could really get a job so easily, and we did, but we could not find a place to live. So housing is the issue. We are considering Texas because we don't want to freeze to death sleeping in our truck.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:37 PM

73 posts, read 202,977 times
Most Texans up here went home or is going home due to the cold if they are working out in the field. One guy I know is leaving Sunday back to Houston and said he can't wait to be back in 80 degree weather. He was in paradise when he talked about Texas. That should tell you enough when one thinks of Houston, TX as "paradise".

Old 12-08-2011, 11:36 PM

13 posts, read 36,488 times
Lillibeth, I've gone from ND to TX and always felt that ND was a lot like rural TX. As you pointed out, the main difference is ND winter vs. TX summer. If you like the simple life, you'll find it in ND. You can even fish in the winter if you don't mind ice fishing. ND's spring, summer, and fall are nice. I never really was use to subzero winters, but you can accept it as a way of life and deal with it.

This oil boom is interesting, because when I last lived in ND, the state govt was trying to find ways to retain college graduates, etc. A lot of young people were leaving the state for greener pastures I suppose. I also remember there was a small movement to drop the "North" from the state name and change it to just "Dakota". They felt "North" made it sound less appealing.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 AM

Why we are considering leaving Texas? uhmmm...it is personal feeling regarding the the state, and what it has become..I love Texas, but our experience is that the school in particular are STRUGGLING tremendously. Our children regularly come home with stories that involve sexual harrassment, bullying, and just and atmosphere that is out of control. The teachers are overwhelmed. These are just my opinions. I know people in my own town who would not agree with me. But for my chidren, I know it is true.
Gangs are a huge problem. Our school dress codes are only based around limiting the gang activity, certain colors, NOT styles are prohited.
I feel Texas grew quicker than it could keep up with, particularly the rural ares.
I absolutely agree the weather is very liveable,completely recognize that the weather in ND will be a huge adjustment... but neither of us would be working out doors.
Neither my husband or myself is connect to the oil industry. We are really just looking for a better place, if there is one? I am wishful thinking??? Are most places in America basically the same???

Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 AM

249 posts, read 645,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsfinest View Post
Most Texans up here went home or is going home due to the cold if they are working out in the field. One guy I know is leaving Sunday back to Houston and said he can't wait to be back in 80 degree weather. He was in paradise when he talked about Texas. That should tell you enough when one thinks of Houston, TX as "paradise".
Hey socalsfinest throw us a bone... Which company is he leaving from?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:24 PM

7 posts, read 22,483 times
I appreciate you talking about the schools, our son is in 7th grade. We have had a lot of problems here in Colorado with schools. We have changed schools and school districts and had different problems everywhere. So, there are probably issues everywhere, but different types and severity. In our decision making to move to Texas or North Dakota, it seemed like the school situation was great in North Dakota. It's a plus that neither of you will be working outside. From what I have seen, North Dakota is a great place to raise a family and not deal with the "drama" that they have in other states, ie- the gangs and that type if thing. I googled the school districts and checked out the school websites to get a bit of a feel for the schools in North Dakota.
If I were going there, not for the oil industry, I would stay away from Western ND, because it is hard to find a place to live and the schools are really full. Also, I would stay away from the places that have had bad flooding. Bismark looks really nice. In some threads about the oil industry, some people have also posted about moving to Bismark and really like it there.
When my husband and I were in North Dakota, we were surprised that people were so nice to us, everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. We had an awesome experience. It is said that they are "North Dakota Nice" or "Minnesota Nice", where people are nice to your face and then talk about you behind your back. I have also been told that most people there don't like "making waves" or confrontation. These could be stereo types. There are people from everywhere that act like that, and there are a lot worse behavioral tendencies I encounter in Colorado. I can only say good things about it in North Dakota and overall think it's a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota