Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 27,707 times

Advertisements

My mother has mineral rights in Stanley and has been contacted by an attorney to start to drill on her land. The question I am getting at is we are from out of state, so how will she know if anything is found on her section of land? Do we just trust the attorney to contact her or is there someone we can contact who would tell us?
Thanks for any info..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 04:40 PM

71 posts, read 206,620 times
If the attorney doesn't contact her, then he won't make money. So I think it would be easy to trust him.

If you don't get a good answer from anyone here, try the Texas section. They know a lot about mineral rights.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 AM

85 posts, read 414,587 times
I believe that information is all available online from the North Dakota Oil and Gas Division. See here: https://www.dmr.nd.gov/oilgas/

Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 PM

thanks guys...

Old 07-29-2008, 04:30 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
Visiting from the Texas forum . Most likely your mother is dealing with a Landman versus an attorney, although it could be an attorney working as a landman. You can look on your oil and gas lease to see what company leased your rights and contact them directly to get an update on production. If the company drilled a well and did not pay you the royalty they would get in big trouble with the govt and that is not something they would risk. Keep in mind that it can take from a few months to several years from the time they start taking leases until they actually drill a well.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:00 AM

Thanks. I did call the oil and gas division for her and they were able to look at the section of land for her. They said there werent any permits yet for that section. What does that mean actually.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:57 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,731,452 times
Once an area is all leased up and they are ready to actually move the crew in to drill they will file for a permit with the state and post a designation of unit (at least this is how it work in Texas) in the county records showing the exact dimensions of unit and all the tracts of land included. Units can vary in size so your piece of the pie, assuming the well is producing, will be the percentage of acreage you own in the unit times your royalty. For example to make the math easy, if the unit is 1000 acres and you owned all the minerals under 100 of those then you have 10% of the unit and then if you have a 1/5th royalty u get 20% of 10% of the profits of the well.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 15,366 times
We have a well in Stanley. They started drilling on July 11th. Our lease says we get 14%. We own 20acres of minerial rights. Could you explain what that means in $$$. I saw your formula I'm not sure how it works.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:33 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,568 times
It is my understanding, that the mineral owners get about 6% of the money produced from the well...the rest goes to the oil companies (cost of drilling, etc..)...so if say you get a well that produces 200 barrels a day... X's the price of oil..say $100. per barrel..that would be that would be 20,000 a day...your share of 6% would be $1,200. per day to be divided up between you and the other owners...since you get 14% for your share...about $168. a day...X's 365 days a year...or around 60,000 a year...but it could be higher or even lower, depending on how well the well produces, and the price of oil. But I could be way off...this is just what I've heard from those who have wells.
If the oil companies are paying 10% of profits to the owners...then it would be even more.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 7,708 times
I am curious as to the going rate for oil leases in the area. The oil company offered $60 per acre to lease the mineral rights for 5 years plus 15% royalty on the oil taken from my 320 acres. Is this the average or do I need to negotiate a better deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota