Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM

21 posts, read 41,740 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to the Williston area within the next couple of weeks with my husbands company. I will be a stay at home mom with our 14mo old and this will be my first time staying home as well as traveling with a youngster. Can any of you that are there give me some insight as well as some tips I should need to know before coming?? We are coming from Texas so we haven't been exposed to the weather that ND gets. We are extremely excited and any insight will be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 06:42 PM

21 posts, read 38,944 times
My husband got a job with Baker-Hughes, however I will not be going with him right away because we have not been to find any housing and I do not want to spend a ton of money on a crappy 2 bedroom apartment. But if I was to go with him, I heard there is little to none housing in Williston, so you may have to look for housing in other towns such as Bismarck.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:57 PM

Did they not provide housing for your husband with Baker?? What is he doing for them

Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 PM

Baker is providing housing for him in a man camp and he will be an Equipment Operator

Old 11-15-2011, 01:08 AM

12 posts, read 41,443 times
I am not sure where you are from in Texas but there is little to nothing to do in Williston. My husband and I work in the oil field and we were working on a rig near Williston. We went to the Williston Applebee's and it took us 40 mins to be seated and then when we finally were seated no one waited on us for 20 mins. Then we left. We went out back to our car and saw 3 waitresses (hihh school age) taking pulls of vodka. The town is crappy, the people are crappier. The citizens of the town who aren't making money off the oil are constantly squeaky wheels and will make your life miserable knowing you came here for an oil job. Everyone is overweight and a decent/healthy/organic food is non-existent. If you can you should try and live in Bismarck...much better...still not great but atleast it has decent restaurants and responsible high schoolers. Also, do NOT go to the Walmart. There has been several rapes in the parking lot lately.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:52 AM

My husband and I are getting a home (its being built right now) Thats scary about walmart... we grew up in a town of no more than 3000 so we are used to having absolutely nothing to do which is fine, save more money that way! I am a very healthy person so that concerns me about the shortage of healthy foods.. I'm sure we can manage tho!! I have heard some pretty awful things about going to Williston but we are mainly going there for the experience!

Old 11-15-2011, 05:30 AM

4,151 posts, read 3,925,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyscooter View Post
I am not sure where you are from in Texas but there is little to nothing to do in Williston. My husband and I work in the oil field and we were working on a rig near Williston. We went to the Williston Applebee's and it took us 40 mins to be seated and then when we finally were seated no one waited on us for 20 mins. Then we left. We went out back to our car and saw 3 waitresses (hihh school age) taking pulls of vodka. The town is crappy, the people are crappier. The citizens of the town who aren't making money off the oil are constantly squeaky wheels and will make your life miserable knowing you came here for an oil job. Everyone is overweight and a decent/healthy/organic food is non-existent. If you can you should try and live in Bismarck...much better...still not great but atleast it has decent restaurants and responsible high schoolers. Also, do NOT go to the Walmart. There has been several rapes in the parking lot lately.
MurphyScooter if you are your husband hate it so much there, why do you stay?

Jasper Hobbs

Old 11-15-2011, 06:24 AM

We are from the dfw area. There is tons of crime here you can get rapped anywhere. I'm sure the rape rate goes down for the winter.. from what I gather its a place people either love or hate...we will be there as a family and that all that matters

Old 11-15-2011, 06:29 AM

88 posts, read 220,571 times
Gosh! When did the town of Williaton hire their own P.R. person? With those kinds of accolades, I just can't wait to get there and see what all the hub-bub is about!

Hey! I said HEY! You forgot to tell everyone about the cold that will take their lives! Oh, I almost forgot, what about the hordes of vigilante bunt cake stealers that are roaming the plains up there?!? Now you can't even find delight in a bunt cake with chocolate drizzle! Will the horrors never stop? Ohhhh, the humanity!

Your a geologist, go find something productive to do rather than be a pain in a@@ to the people of this board! Get it through your head that times are tough, people WILL do what they think is best for themselves and their family. And in case you missed it, they're from Texas. Sure, the cold temps may be exciting for them, but I'm not sure that I've heard of anyone from Texas being a pushover. I've lived in Texas and my wife was born and raised there, if someone attacked her, I would want to see the tape showing where she punched the assailant in the neck, then kicked him while he was down!

With all that said, if they're Longhorn fans, then they might have a problem. Go Tech!

Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 AM

I was in no way discouraging you from doing what is best for your family. Jobs are aplenty and good luck with your move. I will be going with the husband when he decides to actually relocate, but as for the time being he will be flying back and forth between Dickinson and Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota