Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 AM

21 posts, read 41,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagKing View Post
Gosh! When did the town of Williaton hire their own P.R. person? With those kinds of accolades, I just can't wait to get there and see what all the hub-bub is about!

Hey! I said HEY! You forgot to tell everyone about the cold that will take their lives! Oh, I almost forgot, what about the hordes of vigilante bunt cake stealers that are roaming the plains up there?!? Now you can't even find delight in a bunt cake with chocolate drizzle! Will the horrors never stop? Ohhhh, the humanity!

Your a geologist, go find something productive to do rather than be a pain in a@@ to the people of this board! Get it through your head that times are tough, people WILL do what they think is best for themselves and their family. And in case you missed it, they're from Texas. Sure, the cold temps may be exciting for them, but I'm not sure that I've heard of anyone from Texas being a pushover. I've lived in Texas and my wife was born and raised there, if someone attacked her, I would want to see the tape showing where she punched the assailant in the neck, then kicked him while he was down!

With all that said, if they're Longhorn fans, then they might have a problem. Go Tech!
This is great!!!! I'm defiantly not a pushover! Growing up my mom would have me sit in the living room and have her and my dad act out if I was ever attacked what to do.. (pretty hilarious). Bundt Cake stealers?? You don't say!!! We're not to big on college sports BUT we do love our RANGERS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 07:14 AM

88 posts, read 220,288 times
LB - best World Series I've ever, ever seen!

I'm a former Marine and my oldest daughter gets a new Hand-to-Hand class each year! She laughs too! Even when I tell her, "I'm being serious here!" but her boyfriend wanted to know if I could stop teaching her stuff! Blah-ha-ha!

Lisan23 and I have discussed making a swap in the Walmart parking lot, where I may be sleeping. She will trade some of her cookies for some of my stroganoff. Of course, we'll have to have the Mission Impossible theme playing in the background! LOL! Oh, make no mistake, those bunt cake thieves are after cookies and any other baked goods they can get their hands on, they're a rowdy bunch to be sure!

Old 11-15-2011, 07:46 AM

49 posts, read 81,023 times
We should have a wives of oil workers meet up group... especially us with kids.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fncypnts View Post
Are you a stay at home mom!?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 AM

Yes I am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbmurphy View Post
Are you a stay at home mom!?

Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 AM

How do you like it up there? I've never been a stay at home mom so this whole experience is completely new for us. Have you been up there during a harsh winter? What do you and your kids do if you can't go outside? (sorry if these seem like dumb questions lol)

Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,364,490 times
All right, I like Williston! I'm a small towner as well though. Don't get me wrong, there are some frustrating things about the area, but most of the time I realize it could be worse. I'm also the kind of person who would rather deal with cold winters than a summer in Texas. My perspective is you can always put more clothes on but there's only so many you can take off! (Don't take that the wrong way lol.)

From what I've found the people who have the hardest time up here are those who are used to shopping options and having tons of things to do. One of my friends up here is from Las Vegas and it seems her and her family are always heading out to Minot, Bismarck, Billings, etc. for the weekend. My husband and I will make one of these types of trips once every few months, we don't feel the need to go out and shop often. Plus, we can't get most things online so there's no need to go to Minot or Bismarck.

The Shopper has had some advertisements lately about an oilfield wives group meeting up. From what I've gathered, though, it's mostly direct sellers throwing massive parties so you can buy some stuff. (Don't get me wrong, if Scentsy is there I'll definitely buy something lol.) But I've also heard of groups meeting at the Raymond Center for playdates during the winter. There's also a facebook group that I just found for Williston Oilfield Wives. Oilfield Wives Williston, ND - Wall | Facebook

I'm not a stay at home mom, my daughter is in first grade and while I did the stay at home thing for a few months I got sooooo bored! Lol if she was home all day it'd be one thing, but with her in school all day there's only so much that needs to be done around the apartment. Plus it was tiny so keeping up on housework only took so much. I was baking like a mad woman when I was staying home.

Anyway, I've posted this in other posts but I firmly believe that you get what you put in. I try and keep a smile on my face and I've had a pretty decent experience. I've also tried to empathize with those who are from here because while newcomers face difficulties, I think they're having the hardest time of us all watching their little town get turned upside down. There's no doubt that many of them are benefitting from this as well, but it doesn't change the fact that they're dealing with a lot of big changes.

Welcome to the forum and let us know what you think once you get here!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:58 AM

We actually just moved to Bismarck about 2 weeks ago! The husband is looking for work in Williston. We have yet to experience the cold. I have an almost 8 month old so we are probably just going to stay in. We live near a mall so we will probably just hang there if we want to get out the house. So far though we love ND!

Quote:
How do you like it up there? I've never been a stay at home mom so this whole experience is completely new for us. Have you been up there during a harsh winter? What do you and your kids do if you can't go outside? (sorry if these seem like dumb questions lol)

Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fncypnts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
All right, I like Williston! I'm a small towner as well though. Don't get me wrong, there are some frustrating things about the area, but most of the time I realize it could be worse. I'm also the kind of person who would rather deal with cold winters than a summer in Texas. My perspective is you can always put more clothes on but there's only so many you can take off! (Don't take that the wrong way lol.)

From what I've found the people who have the hardest time up here are those who are used to shopping options and having tons of things to do. One of my friends up here is from Las Vegas and it seems her and her family are always heading out to Minot, Bismarck, Billings, etc. for the weekend. My husband and I will make one of these types of trips once every few months, we don't feel the need to go out and shop often. Plus, we can't get most things online so there's no need to go to Minot or Bismarck.

The Shopper has had some advertisements lately about an oilfield wives group meeting up. From what I've gathered, though, it's mostly direct sellers throwing massive parties so you can buy some stuff. (Don't get me wrong, if Scentsy is there I'll definitely buy something lol.) But I've also heard of groups meeting at the Raymond Center for playdates during the winter. There's also a facebook group that I just found for Williston Oilfield Wives. Oilfield Wives Williston, ND - Wall | Facebook

I'm not a stay at home mom, my daughter is in first grade and while I did the stay at home thing for a few months I got sooooo bored! Lol if she was home all day it'd be one thing, but with her in school all day there's only so much that needs to be done around the apartment. Plus it was tiny so keeping up on housework only took so much. I was baking like a mad woman when I was staying home.

Anyway, I've posted this in other posts but I firmly believe that you get what you put in. I try and keep a smile on my face and I've had a pretty decent experience. I've also tried to empathize with those who are from here because while newcomers face difficulties, I think they're having the hardest time of us all watching their little town get turned upside down. There's no doubt that many of them are benefitting from this as well, but it doesn't change the fact that they're dealing with a lot of big changes.

Welcome to the forum and let us know what you think once you get here!

Thank you so much for your input!!! I am worried I will be bored staying home seeing how I've never been a stay at home mom but it seems if I did want a job there is plenty to go around. I happen to sell Scentsy! I think alot of everything is attitude and how you decide to handle things that come your way. Your right summers here are extremely hot.. This summer was the worst of all and our yard was burnt up from the sun I am used to being able to go shop on the drop of a hat when I needed something but like i said if im not shopping I'll be saving money!! I'm more worried about food and having that to buy than I am a new pair of North Face gloves I'm excited about the cold even tho we've never experienced that kind of cold! Thanks for everyone's input on this thread I greatly appreciate it!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,364,490 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for your input!!! I am worried I will be bored staying home seeing how I've never been a stay at home mom but it seems if I did want a job there is plenty to go around. I happen to sell Scentsy! I think alot of everything is attitude and how you decide to handle things that come your way. Your right summers here are extremely hot.. This summer was the worst of all and our yard was burnt up from the sun I am used to being able to go shop on the drop of a hat when I needed something but like i said if im not shopping I'll be saving money!! I'm more worried about food and having that to buy than I am a new pair of North Face gloves I'm excited about the cold even tho we've never experienced that kind of cold! Thanks for everyone's input on this thread I greatly appreciate it!!!
I love Scentsy! I need a new warmer and they've come out with a bunch of new stuff since I last shopped with them.

There are some small local shopping options, but there are a lot of things you'll struggle to get at the drop of a hat. It doesn't bug me too much though.

Your comment about the gloves reminds me, make sure you guys have all your winter gear before you come up! I've been struggling to find gloves for my daughter, the stores are constantly sold out of kids winter items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota