Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:01 PM

10 posts, read 32,920 times

Advertisements

btw you stated beaches what ones are close??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 09:06 PM

45,217 posts, read 101,028,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound&down View Post
btw you stated beaches what ones are close??
Depends on what you consider "close". You will be over 3 hours by way of Raleigh to the best beaches on the Crystal Coast.

Crystal Coast

Old 06-19-2007, 07:32 AM

954 posts, read 4,386,984 times
A friend of mine from Indiana has lived there for several years now. He also went to college in Elizabeth City on the coast, and worked in Pitt Co. for several years. He says he much prefers Mt. Airy to any other place he has lived in NC.
I've been through there a few times on my way down to visit my mom in Marion NC. Its a nice small town. Of course, very different from NJ.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:29 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,923,175 times
Ditto to pretty much what the others said. If you want a small town, Mt. Airy is very nice. But it IS a small town, so employment is limited. It's not in the NC mountains, but the foothills. The area has nice views of the mnts. in the distance. Winston Salem is about 35 miles away if you want to do any "big city" things. It might be good if you visited the area for yourself to see what you think.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:46 PM

10 posts, read 32,920 times
thanks so much for all the info .. big city had enough .. looking for small town

Old 08-02-2007, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 15,098 times
Thumbs down ??

Oh my gosh! Why would anyone on earth want to move to mount airy, nc??? Its just plain awful...nothing to ever do, boring, dull, dead.... no development what so ever. Just look up the stats...the population has declined!!! It will continue! We lived there for years and have finally gotten out.. when we went to rent a u haul to move, (there are 3 u haul rental places in mount airy) all 3 of them said they had no trucks. Their reason?? They said because everyone is moving out of mount airy!!! Its lame!

Old 08-02-2007, 06:27 PM

36,540 posts, read 16,124,052 times
May be lame for the young, but for the retired, it is heaven. Beautiful homes and land. Low cost of living. For the young, there is a christian coffee shop with live music and one night club. The city is only 35 miles or so, if you so dare on the weekend. The schools are great and the landscape is wonderfu. The mountains are just an hour or so maybe 1 1/2 to Boone and Blowing Rock, gorgeous cities.... Sorry Deaster, you must be a youngster....

Old 08-03-2007, 09:10 AM

713 posts, read 3,944,089 times
Smile Too bad about the truck traffic

The street of course was really nice many years ago. I can't remember which decade, the eighties or the nineties, but for a time the city had the truck traffic detour and the neighbor started improving quickly.

Unfortunately the state came back and said the city couldn't ban trucks from a state highway, so the trucks came back. Often they are trying to get around scales.

It's too bad because if they could move the truck traffic a little, all the area around Mt. Airy's downtown would blossom.

It is a tough place to be a teenager, I couldn't wait to leave. Forty years makes things look a little different.

Yet I can't think things are so bad with the new multiplex theater just down the street and a thriving uptown. About the only thing Mt. Airy is missing is a lake, but you do have the nice trail along the river.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:00 PM

11 posts, read 44,097 times
Im 25 and just moved to a small town very close to Mt.Airy (in VA). We do most of our shopping there.. it is pretty nice. From where I come from .. I think the roads are very busy. 4 lane 52 ripping through and the downtown traffic has more lanes then what I call... small town.
It is friendly though and has some nice roads and views.. I just prefer it slighty North over the border

Pilot Mountain is cute though... and not to mention the state park =) weeee
it is just slightly south

Old 11-24-2009, 12:53 PM

9 posts, read 33,635 times
I've lived in Mt.Airy since I was 8 and am now in my late 20's. I really wouldn't advise moving here, retired or not. The crime rate isn't the best for such a small town, (look it up on city-data) there is zero industry and zero jobs and as a result you will see zero development. You're limited in shops and resturaunts. A lot of small businesses I feel (and this is purely opinion) are ran poorly I.E. not keeping store hours, poor inventory etc. etc. And again, this is just my opinion BUT a lot of people here are rude, especially if you lack any drawl or twang in your accent. Coming from Jersey and being without the "gee shucks" southern simplicity people expect then you'll be met with a lot of blank stares and nasty attitudes, and that is something that I've learned from experience. I love small towns and the charm they hold and have spent my time in many, but Mt.Airy feels more like a dead end town. And if you ask why I'm still here I'll tell you that I'm trying reeeally hard to move away at this very moment. You really need to come see it for yourself and establish your own opinion of the area. A lot of people here will tell you it's the best and I just find that really hard to swallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina