Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2006, 07:55 PM

28 posts, read 146,962 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and 2 small children are looking to move to NC within the next year. We are coming from a town in upstate NY with a pop. about 13000. We are currently debating whether Mount Airy or Mooresville would be a better fit for our family. Having good school systems are a big priority! If anyone would like to offer their opinions, that would be greatly appreciated! We are planning to visit for a long weekend in Oct. and would like to make the most out of that time. Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 05:16 PM

183 posts, read 1,263,482 times
I have a good friend who moved to Mooresville 1 year ago from Florida. I went to visit her last October. It is a really nice area. Schools are good. She is very happy there. Not to far from Charlotte which is a nice town. They have a new mall not far from them. A great outdoors shopping area with new theater and restaurants it is a couple of exits from Mooresville towards Charlotte. The homes prices are very good. She bought a 3,000 sq. ft. home for 250,000.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:04 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,378,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemomwaldorf View Post
Hi! My husband and 2 small children are looking to move to NC within the next year. We are coming from a town in upstate NY with a pop. about 13000. We are currently debating whether Mount Airy or Mooresville would be a better fit for our family. Having good school systems are a big priority! If anyone would like to offer their opinions, that would be greatly appreciated! We are planning to visit for a long weekend in Oct. and would like to make the most out of that time. Thanks in advance for your help!
HI!! I just moved to Mooresville 2 wks ago from Putnam County, NY.....LOVE IT here!!! We're very happy with our choice of builder, home & area. My son, HS freshman, is very excited about school & is enjoying it. If you're planning a visit to the Mooresville area in Oct., keep in mind "Race Week"...I think it's around the 20th, lots of activity around here & the hotels might be booked up. You can PM me if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help if I can. Where in NY are you now??

BxRosie

Old 09-09-2006, 07:14 AM

872 posts, read 3,584,886 times
Mooresville is a great city with a population of about 20,000 people. And that number is rising with alot of people moving from Mecklenburg county to here (including me!)

Property tax in Mooresville is .55 per every $100. They raised it this year. So they may raise it again in the future. Sewage is $26.00. City water is $3.93 per every 1000 Gallons for usage between 0-10,000 gallons.

Weather in Mooresville sees highs in the summer in the upper 80's to lower 90's. In the winter it's upper 40's to low 50's. Doesn't snow often.

Traffic like the rest of the Charlotte area is stressful at times. Especially when the three NASCAR races come. First two are in May last one is in October. Speaking of NASCAR Mooresville is called Race City USA because most of the NASCAR teams are based in and around Mooresville. Hence all the traffic around race time. Commute to Charlotte is about 30 to 45 mins.

Crime in Mooresville is significantly less than Charlotte. Mooresville is very safe. BTW Charlotte is the 10th most dangerous city with a population above 500,000.

Mooresville city Schools are some of the best in the state. Way better than CMS (Charlotte-Meck Schools) hands down. The school board is actually taking steps to stay in front of the population bubble and not sticking their heads in the sand like CMS. They're planning on building a new high school.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:57 PM

28 posts, read 146,962 times
Thanks to everyone who took the time to offer their input! The more we investigate the area, the higher Mooresville goes on our list of places to check out. Can anyone comment on certain areas of town that are better than others in terms of school districts? Are the children bussed very far to the schools? I am glad to see that Mooresville is trying to stay ahead of the population boom, it seems that many of the towns are not able to keep up. Are there organized sports for the kids like Little league, soccer etc? We are coming down to visit during the first weekend in October. Can anyone recommend a nice place to stay that is centrally located? Sorry for all the ??s, there is just so much we need to learn! Thanks again!

Old 09-09-2006, 08:57 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
Yes, I would stay at exit 25 birkdale area. Quick jump up to Mooresville, A little longer jump to Charlotte.

Soccer leagues are prime here. My 5 year old actually had his first game today.

If you need a guide let me know

Old 09-09-2006, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,166 times
Your post was very informative and helpful! My family and I are coming next week to look at houses primarily in the Mooresville/Huntersville/Cornelius areas. We are hoping to move by the end of October. We have sold our house in PA and expect to settle Oct. 25th. We originally bought a house in Huntersville last month but lost it under a contingency contract. We have friends that will be following us down next spring that will need to be near a good hospital or medical facility for their daughters medical care. Besides Charlotte, does the Mooresville area have anything to offer, or is it necessary to go all the way into the city? It's basically all relative, considering we have to do that now to go into Philadelphia but we were wondering the availability outside of Charlotte. Thanks!

Last edited by MadreDes; 09-09-2006 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: Would like to add more info...first time posting!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:17 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadreDes View Post
Your post was very informative and helpful! My family and I are coming next week to look at houses primarily in the Mooresville/Huntersville/Cornelius areas. We are hoping to move by the end of October. We have sold our house in PA and expect to settle Oct. 25th. We originally bought a house in Huntersville last month but lost it under a contingency contract. We have friends that will be following us down next spring that will need to be near a good hospital or medical facility for their daughters medical care. Besides Charlotte, does the Mooresville area have anything to offer, or is it necessary to go all the way into the city? It's basically all relative, considering we have to do that now to go into Philadelphia but we were wondering the availability outside of Charlotte. Thanks!

I've been reading a lot about that hospital in Concord it's suppose to be excellent. They are also expanding. They just put a brand new medical building on the corner of 73 and Poplar Tent.
Look into Cabarrus county you are still close to Huntersville, Cornelius and LAKE NORMAN!!! Schools are good and taxes are cheaper.

Check out these communities....The Farm at Riverpointe, Moss Creek Village,
Cabarrus Crossing. All within 9 miles to LAKE NORMAN!!! and close to the hospital in Concord.

Good Luck!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:39 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
Race city USA is more appropriate for Concord or Kannapolis than Mooresville, but I couldnt care less about Nascar anymore. I go to a race every now and then, but I dont follow it much.

Lake Norman is nice but there are a few things you must remember. Its great in the summer time but it does get cold here from October to April. It aint Florida so you cant swim in it all year. Not to mention there is extremely limited public access to the lake. Good amount of boat landings but no public areas to swim.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:30 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Goodness!
Public access to Lake Norman is available at Lake Norman State Park off Perth Church Road in Troutman as if anyone'd swim in it!
Several medical facilities here - Cabarrus Hospital in Concord, Wake Forest University / Baptist Med Center in
Winston-Salem, Mission-St. Joseph's in Asheville, East Carolina on the coast, UNC Hospitals and Duke Medical Center
in the middlee Y'all have your choice of places to go. Mount Airy is in a beautiful, mountainous, gorgeous, but rural area.
Mooresville is OK as well as Statesville and Troutman. Tolerable commute. Takes me 20 - 25 minutes to get to
Mooresville from Statesville. Commute to Charlotte from Mooresville - can be up to an hour in the morning,
because the road is primarily 2 lanes, due to poor planning and no attention to the infrastructure that "supports" everyone's
relocation here. In the summer, everyone is enthralled with the people boating on the lake, so they slow down (yes, slow down)
to gawk, which adds another 30 -40 minutes or so.

Last edited by mm_mary73; 10-11-2006 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: spacing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina